Rx killed libidio: is this good?

Is it beneficial that a Rx (prescribed by primary care physician) killed my libido? There is very little “occasion of sin” for me anymore. One $5.00 co-pay, and concupiscience has become a thing of the past. Poof-! It’s gone.

Should I ask my doctor for a different Rx or remain a eunuch?

[quote="havana1, post:1, topic:204854"]
Is it beneficial that a Rx (prescribed by primary care physician) killed my libido? There is very little "occasion of sin" for me anymore. One $5.00 co-pay, and concupiscience has become a thing of the past. Poof-! It's gone.

[/quote]

Been there, done that. (antidepressants in my case)

I suppose it depends on your personal situation (married/single/divorced) and your particular concupiscence problems.

In my personal opinion, the other side effects of many meds make this a BAD idea. I believe it would be better to deal with the impurity struggles as a person standing on your own two feet, even if it means you fall more often. You may want to check the link in my sig, or feel free to send me a private message.

Praying for us all,
- curl

I would agree with Curl...

If you're asking if you should continue with this drug because of a benefit in curbing your libido via a sideeffect, then I would imagine you'd feel a lot stronger and more confident if you know that you are controlling a situation with your own willpower rather than it being controlled by an artificial drug in your system. Plus, if you were to ever stop, it might cause anxiety to you that you will not be able to control it yourself because it has been controlled by a drug for so long.

However, if you're saying that the drug works for you in every other respect, and if you should change it just because of this side effect, then you have to weigh up the benefit of taking this drug with the downfall of the side effect...just like if you have a headache but you know the only tablet that will help makes you feel sick, you have to weigh up which is the easiest to live with.

I would say it depends on your situation in life. If you’re married you wouldn’t want the drug to lead you neglect your responsibilities when it comes to the proper care and feeding of your spouse. If you’re single you wouldn’t want the drug to stop you from getting out and finding a spouse. Other than that the drug might be a blessing if you have no legitimate outlet for your desires.

[quote="havana1, post:1, topic:204854"]
Is it beneficial that a Rx (prescribed by primary care physician) killed my libido? There is very little "occasion of sin" for me anymore. One $5.00 co-pay, and concupiscience has become a thing of the past. Poof-! It's gone.

[/quote]

Can you ask for a different med that doesn't have those side effects? Some meds have substitutes that don't affect you sexually....DK what type of med you are referring to, but I have to take antidepressants, and DK if you are aware of this, but Wellbutrin does not affect your libido-or your weight (it's weight netural, won't make you lose or gain, according to the doc) as much. It does make you hyper though, and some people have nightmares when they take it. I've never had those problems. I take the med at night (b/c I work @ night...and I have to be up;0)

If you are referring to heart meds, beta-blockers....I don't take them, so I don't know....but I bet your doc could help you. You and your spouse shouldn't have to suffer, I wouldn't think.
Just sayin'.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.