Sabbath Confusions

I really don’t understand how God wants me to keep The Sabbath. On other issues like this, I have really started to learn to hear Him and understand what He wants me to do, but I don’t understand the above topic. It’s about the ‘Saturday vs Sunday’ argument. Over the last 2 and a half days, through Friday to now, I have tried keeping The Sabbath from when it is the start of The Sabbath for in Jerusalem (Saturday Sabbath(?)) to now, The Sabbath for our time zone (Sunday Sabbath(?)). Obviously this can’t be what God wants from me. Can you all please help me come to a conclusion on this? Thank you in advance. God bless all of you.

The Sabbath is Saturday. Sunday is the Lord’s Day and that is the day you are obliged to keep. It’s a day of rest, go to church and do something that you like to do :slight_smile: simple as that. Lots of people like to garden, walk, listen to music, visit, etc…as long as you are enjoying it and it’s not sinful I think you’ll be fine.

In the old testament the Isrealites celebrated the Sabbath but the exact day changed with the coming of Our Lord and now we a Christians celebrate the Lord’s day. This started on the day Our Lord resurrected into heaven, the Lord’s day and the Apostles gathered in prayer and broke bread…read about the Lord’s day in scriptures. The OT is a precourser to what was revealed in the New Testament all centering on the Lamb of God…

If you want to keep the Jewish Sabbath, it runs from sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday.

If you want to keep the Lord’s Day, also known as the Christian Sabbath, then that is Sunday. It runs from midnight to midnight.

Question, are you Jewish?

Jesus said that He was Lord, even of the Sabbath. Also, that the Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. Jesus “violated” Sabbath rules and taught His Apostles to do the same - by His example and for a reason. The Apostles were ejected from all Jewish worship on Saturdays, just as our Lord predicted.

On Sunday, the Lord rose from the dead - for a reason. On Sunday, the Holy Spirit gave birth to the Church - for a reason. The Apostles met to celebrate the primitive mass on Sunday - for a reason. Saint John received the Revelation on Sunday - for a reason. The Apostles called this “the Lord’s Day” - for a reason.

As to the Sabbath, where does anything say that it must be on the day which man calls Saturday? Not in the 10 Commandments. We are not practicing Judaism. We are not held to the 613 laws which Moses gave. We are children of the New Testament in Christ’s Blood.

Therefore, we hold the “Lord’s Day” to be holy and a day of rest.

For a reason.

“Honor the sabbath and keep it holy”. I attended an Eastern Catholic parish some years ago and the priest there always had Divine Liturgy (Mass) on Saturday and , of course, Sunday. I asked him about that once. He said in the Eastern/Orthodox tradition we believe the words of keeping the Sabbath out of respect of where we came from as Christians, but the Sabbath is the 7th day and we have the “new covenant” of the 8th day (Sunday) so Sunday is our day. Just thought that was interesting.

It sounds like you’ve gotten a handle on it already. As you’ve managed to figure out for yourself, a healthy dose of common sense is in order. Your obligation is relative to your location in life. What works for an Eastern Orthodox Russian in Kiev won’t necessarily work for a cafeteria Catholic in Sheboygan.

I hope my comments on relativity are helpful for you to understand your obligations.

It is my understanding that a Jew observes the seventh day of the week, the Sabbath (Shabbat), as a holy day from sunset at his particular location on Friday to sunset at his particular location on Saturday. (source)

Christians, on the other hand, typically observe the first day of the week, the Lord’s Day, Sunday, as a holy day, in commemoration of the day Jesus Christ rose from the dead and liberated mankind from their slavery to sin and death, from midnight to midnight in their local time zone. (Canon 202.1) Note: Catholics currently may fulfill their obligation to assist at Mass on Sundays and other holy days of obligation by assisting at Mass on the holy day itself or on the previous evening. (Canon 1248.1)

If you just read Exodus 20:8-11, you might think that the Jews were to keep the Sabbath holy only because God himself rested on the seventh day of creation. However, if you read Deuteronomy 5:12-15, you will see that the Jews were also commanded to keep the Sabbath holy because it was on that day that God liberated the Jews from their slavery in Egypt, a definitive day for the Jewish people but not so much for Gentile Christians. On the other hand, the day (the first day of the week, Sunday) Jesus Christ rose from the dead and liberated all mankind from their slavery to sin and death is a definitive day for Christians.

No. Full Christian.

Thank you all for the help! I understand this now. God bless you all!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.