Sabbath day?

Do all Religions follow the Sabbath day? I know as Catholics, we should not do any work on Sunday’s, but do Evangelicals and Protestaants believe this too?

Some Christians are adamant about observing the Sabbath on Saturday. But to be honest, I don’t know of anyone who goes out of their way not to work on Sunday. According to Paul, every day should be dedicated to the Lord whether one works that day or not.

Thal59

[quote=CatMan]Do all Religions follow the Sabbath day? I know as Catholics, we should not do any work on Sunday’s, but do Evangelicals and Protestaants believe this too?
[/quote]

Yes, evangelicals and protestants believes this too, but not all Christians follow what they have been thaught!

[quote=CatMan]Do all Religions follow the Sabbath day? I know as Catholics, we should not do any work on Sunday’s, but do Evangelicals and Protestaants believe this too?
[/quote]

Not all religions observe the TRUE Sabbath.

are the stuff on theonetruegod.blogspot.com/2005/02/catholic-church-admits-to-sabbath.html (The Catholic Church admits to the Sabbath being Saturday, NOT SUNDAY! ) true?

[quote=yqbd]are the stuff on theonetruegod.blogspot.com/2005/02/catholic-church-admits-to-sabbath.html (The Catholic Church admits to the Sabbath being Saturday, NOT SUNDAY! ) true?
[/quote]

NO, the church celebrates the Mass EVERY day, so it isnt’ that we don’t have Mass on Saturday. Sunday is our *required *day of Worship because Jesus rose from the dead on Sunday. Sunday is the Lord’s day. Folks are also permitted to attend Saturday Mass to fulfill the requirement for the weekly Sunday Mass. We also have special required Masses on Holy Days or Feast Days. Many Catholics attend daily Mass if their schedule permits. Sunday is the day of the Lord because Jesus Christ rose on that day. The Jewish custom of the Sabbath on Saturday was no longer necessary with the dawning of Christianity, just like many Jewish Laws in Leviticus. Early Christians came from all walks of life, not only from the Jewish Tradition. Read the Letters of St. Paul and you will see this discussion, Early Christians were confused as to whether a Christian needed to become a Jew before converting to Christianity. The answer was no. This is why Christians are not required to be circumcised before becomming Christian. The Jewish Law of Circumcision was no longer requied to be in the covenant with God. Christ fulfilled the Covenant. We no longer need to make animal sacrifices either, because Jesus Christ was the Lamb of God. Sunday is our day of rest and prayer, a day to spend loving our family and friends, a day to celebrate the resurrection of our Savior. Jesus did God’s work on the Sabbath.

[quote=Peace-bwu]NO, the church celebrates the Mass EVERY day, so it isnt’ that we don’t have Mass on Saturday. Sunday is our *required *day of Worship because Jesus rose from the dead on Sunday. Sunday is the Lord’s day. Folks are also permitted to attend Saturday Mass to fulfill the requirement for the weekly Sunday Mass. We also have special required Masses on Holy Days or Feast Days. Many Catholics attend daily Mass if their schedule permits. Sunday is the day of the Lord because Jesus Christ rose on that day. The Jewish custom of the Sabbath on Saturday was no longer necessary with the dawning of Christianity, just like many Jewish Laws in Leviticus. Early Christians came from all walks of life, not only from the Jewish Tradition. Read the Letters of St. Paul and you will see this discussion, Early Christians were confused as to whether a Christian needed to become a Jew before converting to Christianity. The answer was no. This is why Christians are not required to be circumcised before becomming Christian. The Jewish Law of Circumcision was no longer requied to be in the covenant with God. Christ fulfilled the Covenant. We no longer need to make animal sacrifices either, because Jesus Christ was the Lamb of God. Sunday is our day of rest and prayer, a day to spend loving our family and friends, a day to celebrate the resurrection of our Savior. Jesus did God’s work on the Sabbath.
[/quote]

hmm, circumcision and Sabbath seem different though. Sabbath is part of the Ten Commandments and doesn’t require you to cut some flesh off. isn’t baptism sort of the replacement for circumcision? circumcision is like cutting yourself away from the flesh; baptism dying and being reborn. having mass every day isn’t really like having Sabbath everyday as you’re not supposed to work on Sabbath. Why observe sunday when the seventh day was blessed, santicfied, and hallowed? If Sabbath isn’t required anymore, why is there a requirement for sunday?

You are correct, Circumcision was replaced by Baptism. I have attaced a link for more information than I have time to provide right now, sorry. I hope this helps!

Some religious organizations (Seventh-Day Adventists, Seventh-Day Baptists, and certain others) claim that Christians must not worship on Sunday but on Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath. They claim that, at some unnamed time after the apostolic age, the Church “changed” the day of worship from Saturday to Sunday.

However, passages of Scripture such as Acts 20:7, 1 Corinthians 16:2, Colossians 2:16-17, and Revelation 1:10 indicate that, even during New Testament times, the Sabbath is no longer binding and that Christians are to worship on the Lord’s day, Sunday, instead.

The early Church Fathers compared the observance of the Sabbath to the observance of the rite of circumcision, and from that they demonstrated that if the apostles abolished circumcision (Gal. 5:1-6), so also the observance of the Sabbath must have been abolished. The following quotations show that the first Christians understood this principle and gathered for worship on Sunday.

I was glad to see that I wasn’t too far off in comparing the observance of the Sabbath to the observance of the rite of circumcision, wow, I’m thinking like the early Church Fathers, I’m im good company.:slight_smile: Here is the link: catholic.com/library/Sabbath_or_Sunday.asp

I have been involved in other debates or discussion threads on this topic, if you look it up you will find them, rather than starting a whole new thread on teh issue and beating a dead horse.
I hope this helps, I have just discussed this topic so many times.:slight_smile:

Mass is not synonymous with Sabbath day. If you believe soley in the scriptures then you should observe Saturday as the Sabbath. If you believe in following the tradition of men, then you should observe SUNday.

"[font=Arial]**Beware lest  			anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit**,  			according to the tradition of men, according to the basic  			principles of the world, and not according to Christ. "  [/font] 			Colossians 2:8 

"For the time will              come when **they will not endure sound doctrine**, but **             according to their own desires**, because they have itching ears,              they will heap up for themselves teachers; and **they will turn              their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables**.  			But you be watchful in all things..."  2              Timothy 4:2-5

[left] 			"**Woe to  			those who call evil good, and good evil**;
		Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness....
		Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes,
		And prudent in their own sight!"  			Isaiah 5:20-21

[/left]
[left] “But to the wicked God says: ‘What right have you to declare My statutes,
Or take My covenant in your mouth, Seeing you hate instruction
And cast My words behind you? …
**You thought that I was altogether like you;
**But I will rebuke you…’” Psalm 50:16-21

[/left]
I find a parallel between this topic and the story told at the beginning of Mark. Also, don’t be too shocked when the observance of Sunday becomes law.

Peace,
Travis

Oh yeah, what I meant to say…

Don’t be too shocked when Sunday observance becomes law, AGAIN.

[quote=twagler]Oh yeah, what I meant to say…

Don’t be too shocked when Sunday observance becomes law, AGAIN.
[/quote]

:sleep: :ehh: :hmmm: :rotfl: And I suppose that Acts 20:7 just doesn’t count at all about what day of the week the early church met to break bread…which is the Christian service and IS the Mass and is on Sunday as per the practice of the early church.

[quote=Church Militant] And I suppose that Acts 20:7 just doesn’t count at all about what day of the week the early church met to break bread…which is the Christian service and IS the Mass and is on Sunday as per the practice of the early church.
[/quote]

:):):p:o:confused:;):o:love:

. Is that why Paul CONTINUED to meet on Sunday to worship? Breaking bread sounds like eating to me. Acts 20:7 says " …Paul preached to them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight. Sounds like a one-time event to me since he was leaving the next day. Read the rest of Acts and you will see that Paul REGULARLY obsvered the seventh day Sabbath.

Then why did Constantine have to make a law enforcing Sunday observance, if it was already in practice? And at the same time punish those who still did what Jesus told them to do, observe the seventh day Sabbath.

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe ALL THINGS that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age" (Matthew 28:18-20).

Jesus observed Saturday as the Sabbath, right? Apparently, most of the church did so until Constantine tried to stop it. Exepct, of course, in Rome and Alexandria. Sabbath history…
sabbathtruth.com/history/sabbath_history1.asp

…an account through all centuries.

Travis

[quote=twagler]:):):p:o:confused:;):o:love:

. Is that why Paul CONTINUED to meet on Sunday to worship? Breaking bread sounds like eating to me. Acts 20:7 says " …Paul preached to them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight. Sounds like a one-time event to me since he was leaving the next day. Read the rest of Acts and you will see that Paul REGULARLY obsvered the seventh day Sabbath.

Then why did Constantine have to make a law enforcing Sunday observance, if it was already in practice? And at the same time punish those who still did what Jesus told them to do, observe the seventh day Sabbath.

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe ALL THINGS that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age" (Matthew 28:18-20).

Jesus observed Saturday as the Sabbath, right? Apparently, most of the church did so until Constantine tried to stop it. Exepct, of course, in Rome and Alexandria. Sabbath history…
sabbathtruth.com/history/sabbath_history1.asp

…an account through all centuries.

Travis

[/quote]

You sum it all up in your own errant post: “Sounds like…to me.” and still don’t really even answer the passage.

Naw man… those are your SDA sources who wouldn’t know tuth if it barked in their face. I’ve read all your stuff and it’s so loaded with lies that I throw it away. You can’t justify the lies that the SDA tells about the Catholic Church.

The early church ceased being Jewish and observing the Sabbath in acts and you just don’t wanna hear that truth do ya? You’re just another pack of Judaisers and worse still deceivers

I know my way around Constantine and I know that what you say is just more SDA rhetorical propaganda. Can you show us any written source that verifies this claim of yours? One that wasn’t penned by some SDA writer or some antiCatholic writer? If not then I submit that you have no real case for what you allege. To me it’s just SSDD SDA.

Just what I think…isn’t purgatory just what the CC thinks? Tradition isn’t what PEOPLE have thought? I think Psalms 50 rings truest, of course this is only what I think.
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ. " Colossians 2:8

"For the time will              come when **they will not endure sound doctrine**, but **             according to their own desires**, because they have itching ears,              they will heap up for themselves teachers; and **they will turn              their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables**.              But you be watchful in all things..."  2              Timothy 4:2-5

[left]             "**Woe to              those who call evil good, and good evil**;
        Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness....
        Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes,
        And prudent in their own sight!"              Isaiah 5:20-21

[/left]
[left] “But to the wicked God says: ‘What right have you to declare My statutes,
[/left]
[left] “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it? I, the Lord, search the heart, I test the mind, even to give every man according to his ways…” Jeremiah 17:9-10
[/left]
[left] “You love evil more than good…” Psalm 52:3
[/left]
“You know how to discern the face of the sky, but you cannot discern the signs of the times.” Matthew 16:3

"And this I pray,             **that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge             and all discernment**, so that you may approve the things that are             excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of             Christ." Philippians 1:9-10             

[left]             "Therefore             **be wise as serpents and harmless as doves**."              Matthew             10:16

[/left]
"…to the wicked God says: “What right have you to declare My statutes, or take My covenant in your mouth, seeing you hate instruction and cast My words behind you?" Psalm 50:16-17

Oh, and…

Are you actually denying that Constantine made a law regarding the Sabbath in 321?

Look up the sources quoted on the website before you call them lies. Don’t be lazy.

AND, how many verses in the NT mention the 1st day of the week? Surely there are more of these verses than those that command allegiance to the Sabbath.

I am an evildoer and deceiver? That is hilarious. A SMALL flock equals 1.3 billion? Do I hold any MAN above others, and believe he is infallible on certain matters? Did I abolish the Saturday Sabbath? Did I make a law about it? Did I perpetuate the donation of Constantine for 300 years?

Like I said…you’ll spout rhetoric rather than answer the posted passage.

Despite all the rhetoric and allegations you make …St. Paul says that they broke bread on Sunday. You think it sounds like eating… think anything ya want…you’re just as wrong.

Oh and breaking bread is the Lord’s Supper…and there’s enough NT passages that support that to bury all your thoughts in. Look 'em up yourself…you can find 'em in any Bible before you call us liars…

And just how many times has your church predicted the return of Christ on a certain date in direct contradiction to the words of Christ Himself and been wrong every single time?

That’s one surefire mark fo a false religion.

[quote=twagler]Oh, and…

Are you actually denying that Constantine made a law regarding the Sabbath in 321?

Look up the sources quoted on the website before you call them lies. Don’t be lazy.

AND, how many verses in the NT mention the 1st day of the week? Surely there are more of these verses than those that command allegiance to the Sabbath.

I am an evildoer and deceiver? That is hilarious. A SMALL flock equals 1.3 billion? Do I hold any MAN above others, and believe he is infallible on certain matters? Did I abolish the Saturday Sabbath? Did I make a law about it? Did I perpetuate the donation of Constantine for 300 years?
[/quote]

Jesus rose on a Sunday – We observe and celebrate that.

You are being VERY proud and that is the ONE sin God will not tolerate. Please be charitable and not an ignorant man.

To answer CatMan’s question, YES!!! There’s a franchise of stores here owned by the Dutch Reformed (a branch of Calvinism) who JUST VERY RECENTLY decided to keep hours on Sunday (and, it’s voluntary from what I heard on the part of the workers).

God bless you & Mary keep you!!!

For the last two times…I AM NOT SDA.

I AM NOT SDA.

Like I said before, I realize that that one verse far exceeds the many references to the real sabbath day. What day did Paul REGULARLY observe the sabbath? What day did MOST of the church continue to observe the sabbath for 300+ years after Christ’s death? Why did Jesus tell the disciples to teach HIS commandments? And, why does the Bible warn about this very thing happening (changing times, laws, statutes, etc.)?

"For the time will              come when **they will not endure sound doctrine**, but **             according to their own desires**, because they have itching ears,              they will heap up for themselves teachers; and **they will turn              their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables**.  			But you be watchful in all things..."  2              Timothy 4:2-5

[font=Arial][size=2]Is the Bible sound doctrine?
[/size][/font]

“But to the wicked God says: ‘What right have you to declare My statutes,

Ads,

I’m being proud?
I’m being ignorant?

God does not tolerate those who break his commandments. I am far from proud by the way.

How about those who bash other religions…stating the criteria of a false religion? This seems proud to me.

trav

Twagler,

First of all I did go through that link. So when you quote from the Early Church Fathers do you take into consideration what they believed as a whole, ie DOCTRINE, or just a few quotes?

The bottom line is that God cares more about being inline with teachings passed down so we can know and verify what is True, ie nature of God, Church, Authority, Bible, Communion, Baptism, etc more than going to Church on Sat or Sun those are minor issues.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.