Sabbath?

OK so do Catholics recognize Saturday or Sunday as the Sabbath? Please explain...did the pope change the Sabbath? :shrug:

This should answer your question:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=175078

[quote="marty1818, post:2, topic:304111"]
This should answer your question:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=175078

[/quote]

how do Catholics justify not observing the Sabbath when its in the 10 commandments

As far as I understand, the day was changed to reflect the day of Jesus Christ's resurrection. The intent remains the same.

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:1, topic:304111"]
OK so do Catholics recognize Saturday or Sunday as the Sabbath? Please explain...did the pope change the Sabbath? :shrug:

[/quote]

Catholics observe Sunday as the fulfillment of the command to observe every seventh day, they do so on the basis of Apostolic tradition and not a papal command.

Are you coming from a Seventh Day Adventist background or something similar perhaps ? I started out as one, wandered thru baptist land, spent 4 or 5 years as a LCMS Lutheran and am now in RCIA ]

[quote="bitznbitez, post:5, topic:304111"]
Catholics observe Sunday as the fulfillment of the command to observe every seventh day, they do so on the basis of Apostolic tradition and not a papal command.

Are you coming from a Seventh Day Adventist background or something similar perhaps ? I started out as one, wandered thru baptist land, spent 4 or 5 years as a LCMS Lutheran and am now in RCIA ]

[/quote]

no i come from pentecostal. but i had heard a 7th day adventists arguement. could you (if you want) message me with how you overcame 7th day adventists arguements and anti Catholic claims

[quote="grasscutter, post:4, topic:304111"]
As far as I understand, the day was changed to reflect the day of Jesus Christ's resurrection. The intent remains the same.

[/quote]

so it doesnt have to be the last day of the week :confused:

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:3, topic:304111"]
how do Catholics justify not observing the Sabbath when its in the 10 commandments

[/quote]

Wow! This question was put to rest by the Apostles themselves :(

The Sabbath on the 7th day Friday sun down to Saturday sun down was kept by the Jews of the old Law. The Apostles kept from the beginning the day of the Lord's resurrection Sunday. They also kept teaching in the sinagogues to the jews on the Sabbath. But for the Gentiles as we are partakers of the new covenant Sunday is the Lord's Day of rest.

Colossians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a feast day or a new moon or a sabbath day

Hope this clears it for you :thumbsup:

thanks that makes more sense

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.