Sacrament Abusage?

Hello to all!

My (very Protestant) family wanted to take a trip down to a sort of “living Bible” exhibit that reconstructs the world of Jesus. I thought this sounded interesting, so I agreed to go. However, looking at the website, I see that it’s really more like a theme park than anything, with live shows and whatnot.

One of the shows is a live-action portrayal of the Last Supper. Apparently they give out wafers and wine (or grape juice - no idea) and you take communion with the actor who plays Jesus.

Is it illogical of me to be really upset by this? I mean, of course I have no intention of participating in this, but I’m uncomfortable with the idea of my family doing it. Is this not sacrament abusage? Should I have a talk with them? Am I overthinking this?

Edit: I should mention that the park is not affiliated with the Catholic Church (to my knowledge) and is owned by a company with Pentecostal/Charismatic affiliations.

[quote="iseekanswers, post:1, topic:289207"]
Hello to all!

My (very Protestant) family wanted to take a trip down to a sort of "living Bible" exhibit that reconstructs the world of Jesus. I thought this sounded interesting, so I agreed to go. However, looking at the website, I see that it's really more like a theme park than anything, with live shows and whatnot.

One of the shows is a live-action portrayal of the Last Supper. Apparently they give out wafers and wine (or grape juice - no idea) and you take communion with the actor who plays Jesus.

Is it illogical of me to be really upset by this? I mean, of course I have no intention of participating in this, but I'm uncomfortable with the idea of my family doing it. Is this not sacrament abusage? Should I have a talk with them? Am I overthinking this?

Edit: I should mention that the park is not affiliated with the Catholic Church (to my knowledge) and is owned by a company with Pentecostal/Charismatic affiliations.

[/quote]

Well, it depends on the Spirit you take into the show.
It is what it is, even if you do not go.

Personally I would skip that part.

If you don’t mind, you would please post a link to their website or send it to me in a private message?

[quote="iseekanswers, post:1, topic:289207"]
Hello to all!

My (very Protestant) family wanted to take a trip down to a sort of "living Bible" exhibit that reconstructs the world of Jesus. I thought this sounded interesting, so I agreed to go. However, looking at the website, I see that it's really more like a theme park than anything, with live shows and whatnot.

Is it illogical of me to be really upset by this? I mean, of course I have no intention of participating in this, but I'm uncomfortable with the idea of my family doing it. Is this not sacrament abusage? Should I have a talk with them? Am I overthinking this?

[/quote]

If this is the Holy Land Experience in Orlando, "most" do not recommend it from either a religious, artistic, or theme park/experience level. You can research it within the CAF or online. Reviews find it "boring" and not very friendly to Catholics.

Probably not "sacramental abuse" as it is just cookies and grape juice. There is no true sacramental value as there is no "real presence" in any true sense.

It's a money making enterprise. The creators found a niche market of evangelical Christians and they are soaking them for $40 s visit plus all the plastic souvenir garbage they can sell. On top of that, they pay ZERO taxes because they are a "church". In order to keep that status, they open up for free one day a year-which is a traffic nightmare. On top of all that, the "theology" is questionable at best.

Stay FAR away.

I would not say it’s Sacramental abuse as the bread and wine have not been consecrated and no transubstantiation has taken place. It is just bread and wine. Go check it out, have fun, and make sure you don’t miss Sunday Mass.

[quote="Seeker1961, post:5, topic:289207"]
It's a money making enterprise. The creators found a niche market of evangelical Christians and they are soaking them for $40 s visit plus all the plastic souvenir garbage they can sell. On top of that, they pay ZERO taxes because they are a "church". In order to keep that status, they open up for free one day a year-which is a traffic nightmare. On top of all that, the "theology" is questionable at best.

Stay FAR away.

[/quote]

Ha!

Drop the $40 admission price into the second collection basket for St. Vincent de Paul, recieve the real Eucharist and go spend the rest of the day with the kids at the beach.

Everybody wins. :thumbsup:

-Tim-

There would be no problem with you accepting a role acting as one of the Apostles in a movie or play retelling Christ's life, and in that context accepting bread and grape juice from an actor playing the role of Jesus. Assuming it is a straight retelling.

I see no significant difference here.

[quote="LilyM, post:8, topic:289207"]
There would be no problem with you accepting a role acting as one of the Apostles in a movie or play retelling Christ's life, and in that context accepting bread and grape juice from an actor playing the role of Jesus. Assuming it is a straight retelling.

I see no significant difference here.

[/quote]

To do so at a non-Catholic Holy Land theme park can lead people into error, thinking that the Eucharist is something that was just made up, that it is just a memorial, that Christ wasn't speaking literally, that it really isn't his body and blood, etc.

There is a significant difference between non-Catholic communion and Catholic communion. There is all the difference in the world.

We have to be careful about leading people into error. I wouldn't go near it with the proverbial ten foot pole.

I'd politely explain why I can't go, and would spend the day at the beach or pool, or find some other form of enjoyment and relaxation.

-Tim-

[quote="fastenatingguy, post:4, topic:289207"]

If this is the Holy Land Experience in Orlando, "most" do not recommend it from either a religious, artistic, or theme park/experience level. You can research it within the CAF or online. Reviews find it "boring" and not very friendly to Catholics.

Probably not "sacramental abuse" as it is just cookies and grape juice. There is no true sacramental value as there is no "real presence" in any true sense.

[/quote]

It is indeed the Holy Land Experience. The more I find out about it, the less happy I am with the idea of going. I'm looking at the TripAdvisor comments, and it just seems less-than-appealing overall (which is unfortunate, since the basic idea for this whole thing is sort of neat). Thank you so much for your input!

[quote="TimothyH, post:9, topic:289207"]
To do so at a non-Catholic Holy Land theme park can lead people into error, thinking that the Eucharist is something that was just made up, that it is just a memorial, that Christ wasn't speaking literally, that it really isn't his body and blood, etc.

There is a significant difference between non-Catholic communion and Catholic communion. There is all the difference in the world.

We have to be careful about leading people into error. I wouldn't go near it with the proverbial ten foot pole.

I'd politely explain why I can't go, and would spend the day at the beach or pool, or find some other form of enjoyment and relaxation.

-Tim-

[/quote]

But people could infer the very same thing from the fact that you as an actor happily participate in a re-enactment of the Last Supper on stage or screen. As long as it is a simple reenactment in a non-Church setting, the risk is minimal because it says little if anything about the views of the participants.

Unlike, say, receiving in a non-Catholic church, which says a great deal about one's views on the Eucharist.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.