Sacrament of Extreme Unction for Grandpa

I wrote a post in my blog about how I'm worried about my grandfather dying without the aid of the Sacraments and what I can or should do.

Here's the link hellorholiness.blogspot.com/2012/07/grandpas-salvation.html

I doubt anyone else in my family would bother too much about anything Catholic for Grandpa, but he's still technically Catholic and believes himself to be so (and so do I because he never converted with others in the family) but this is so serious because death is a water hole for demons.

There is no mention whether your grandfather in at home or in a care facility.
If the latter, you may wish to speak to a priest who acts as chaplain for Catholics in the facilitate. Otherwise you can bring the question to his parish priest or yours.
Certainly, you do need to consult a priest for him to receive the Sacrament of Anointing.
May God bless your grandfather, your family, and you.
God bless you for your loving Conner for your grandfather.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Why not ask him, "Grandpa, is is alright if I ask a priest to come visit you?" I don't know how advanced his Alzheimer's is, you could always be more specific. Then, if he's willing, call a priest to come and give last rites. If your grandpa says he isn't willing, ask him again every time you visit and pray he changes his mind.

He'll be in my prayers tonight.

[quote="Trishie, post:2, topic:290165"]
There is no mention whether your grandfather in at home or in a care facility.
If the latter, you may wish to speak to a priest who acts as chaplain for Catholics in the facilitate. Otherwise you can bring the question to his parish priest or yours.
Certainly, you do need to consult a priest for him to receive the Sacrament of Anointing.
May God bless your grandfather, your family, and you.
God bless you for your loving Conner for your grandfather.

[/quote]

I'm not quite sure what kind of facility it is, but he is not on the locked unit, but since he's not a member of a parish here, I don't know which priest to call. I'm not either for that matter, so I'm not really sure how all this works, but I would like him to receive this Sacrament before he gets much worse.

[quote="the_phoenix, post:3, topic:290165"]
Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

[/quote]

Thank you so much, seriously. I really appreciate this. O Blessed Mother, you are the consoler of the afflicted and we ask your intercession for all those needing the Sacrament of Extreme Unction. Amen!

[quote="Rich_C, post:4, topic:290165"]
Why not ask him, "Grandpa, is is alright if I ask a priest to come visit you?" I don't know how advanced his Alzheimer's is, you could always be more specific. Then, if he's willing, call a priest to come and give last rites. If your grandpa says he isn't willing, ask him again every time you visit and pray he changes his mind.

He'll be in my prayers tonight.

[/quote]

This is really good advice and I think I'll try this so that he asks for or agrees to it. Thank you!

Get your Grandfather's thoughts on the idea first, and then ask the staff at the facility about calling a Catholic priest or you can ask your own priest to come.

[quote="MariaGoretti88, post:5, topic:290165"]
I'm not quite sure what kind of facility it is, but he is not on the locked unit, but since he's not a member of a parish here, I don't know which priest to call. I'm not either for that matter, so I'm not really sure how all this works, but I would like him to receive this Sacrament before he gets much worse.

[/quote]

Registration is irrelevant. The pastor of the parish nearest to your residence is "your priest." Call the pastor of the parish nearest your grandfather and tell him that he is in need of pastoral care, specifically the Anointing of the Sick.

[quote="MariaGoretti88, post:1, topic:290165"]
I wrote a post in my blog about how I'm worried about my grandfather dying without the aid of the Sacraments and what I can or should do.

Here's the link hellorholiness.blogspot.com/2012/07/grandpas-salvation.html

I doubt anyone else in my family would bother too much about anything Catholic for Grandpa, but he's still technically Catholic and believes himself to be so (and so do I because he never converted with others in the family) but this is so serious because death is a water hole for demons.

[/quote]

You can also pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy for him and in his presence.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.