Sacrament of Matrimony

Do you need money to get married? Or its just government stuff that taxes marriage

You need to at least be able to support yourself, your spouse, and any child that may come along.

2 Likes

This confuses me. In the US, the tax code favors marriage.

Actually the OP is right. Government requires we file for Marriage Certificates. That in itself is a tax.

But rather not-picky at that level. A marriage license here is about $5. I could almost find that in my change under the car seats and on the sidewalk. Meanwhile, the amount of income I’m allowed to exclude from taxation is doubled plus additional benefits open to me simply by being in a marriage.

In the USA, there can be a marriage penalty. It occurs when both spouses’ income is fairly similar. Then, both sets of income get taxed at a higher rate.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.