Sacramental bread

Hi,
Is sacramental bread contains salt? and how does it made?

Thanks and God bless you!

Hi!

What do you mean by “sacramental bread”? Hosts? Orthodox Prosphoron? Something else?

1 Like

I mean Catholic hosts, sorry for misunderstanding.

No, salt is not allowed in the West. Only wheat flour and water, nothing else.

In the East, there are various recipes for baking the artos, most have salt in them.

Deacon Christopher

7 Likes

So, is matzo the same as un consecrated communion bread?

Interestingly enough, at least to me, the church my late first wife attended (Church of Christ) used matzo for their communion. The took the large squares and broke them into small pieces by hand into a round metal tray. The church I grew up in but left (Nazarene) used something similar to hosts on the rare occasions when communion was offered - I seem to recall that they were known as “wafers”.

1 Like

Well, not every matzo is unleavened: in Israel, only the matzos which you see on supermarket’s shelves in Passover are unleavened but in the rest of the year, probably there are leavened, because there are very strict criteria for what is counts as an unleavened matzo, and one of them is that if 18 minutes passed from the making of dough, it is leavened and it is not a matzo.

As someone who grew up eating matzoh and knows how many crumbs it makes, something is different from the communion wafer…it doesn’t seem to make hardly any crumbs! Perhaps it’s a different moisture level? Baking time? Both are four and water only…unless you specifically get salted matzoh. If anyone knows…thanks!

3 Likes

I am speaking of the matzo available in US supermarkets under various brand names, such as Manischewitz. I seem to recall that they took care to buy packages marked as Kosher for Passover, but I could be remembering incorrectly as it has been a while and it really wasn’t of that much interest to me at the time.

You’re remembering correctly. During Passover, the matzoh boxes are specifically marked as being kosher for Passover! Any box not so labeled is not used during Passover and is fine for other occasions. I still buy matzoh on occasion…I like it but it’s messy as anything! :joy:

1 Like

Well, this is exactly what I said :joy:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:

Yes, but in my defense, that was yesterday! I’m really getting old…I should probably re read upthread!

Sorry…:hugs:

3 Likes

Over the years, I’ve encountered other forms–illicit of course. Including what appeared to be croutons! :astonished:

As much as I know, the vicariate of James the just in Latin patriarchate of Jerusalem uses matzos in Eucharist (I have never visited in churches in Israel so I do not know if they still do it, but I heard about it from a Catholic priest who participated in a mass of the vicariate). Also, is usage of matzo really illicit? Because as much as I know, Jesus originally used a matzo in last supper…

1 Like

Matzo that is made of wheat flour and water only is licit. Mixing in other stuff is not.

There are five churches in Israel where Mass is regularly celebrated in Hebrew. Depending on where you are, you might care to investigate the matzo question for yourself!

The link below will take you to the St. James Vicariate website, but I suspect these pages may not be kept strictly up to date. For instance, the present Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem is still referred to on this page as “Father Pierbattista Pizzaballa, a Franciscan monk from Italy.” To be on the safe side, better check the Mass times by phone or email!

Mass in Hebrew:

Jerusalem, 7 days a week, 6:30 p.m.
Beer Sheva, Daily except Saturdays
Haifa, Saturdays only
Tiberias, Saturdays only
Jaffa, Saturdays and Sundays

AFAIK, it doesn’t say in Scripture that Jesus used matzo.

Plus most of the Eastern Catholic Churches used leavened bread. C.f. the Council of Florence:

Also, the body of Christ is truly confected in both unleavened and leavened wheat bread, and priests should confect the body of Christ in either, that is, each priest according to the custom of his western or eastern church.

As much as I know, it is unusual to put salt in matzo, so I can believe that 90% of matzos are fine to communion according to canon law.

1 Like

It sounds nice, but I will not go to any church right now, or at least until the coronavirus will over.

1 Like

As a Jew (like Jesus himself) I have to tell you, that in 13th Nissan (the day before Leil Haseder) we cannot eat any leavened things since 12:00 and until 21st Nissan. As much as I know, the last supper was Leil Haseder itself, so it must be a matzo.

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.