Sacramental bread

On another thread, a long time ago, someone corrected me for using the word “seder” in connection with the Last Supper. They said that, while the Temple was still standing, the Passover meal that included the sacrificial lamb was called something else, not “seder,” a term that didn’t come into use until much later, to designate the new kind of Passover meal. Do you know whether that’s true? I have no way of checking.

I notice that, in the BSI translation of the New Testament, now in official Catholic use in Israel, Jesus’ words at the Last Supper in Luke 22:15 are given as “le-echol ha-pesach,” literally “to eat the Passover.”

1 Like

This is technically correct, Jesus did not celebrate the Seder, He celebrated the Passover meal.

However, since the Second Temple Period, the Seder is what we have, so there’s nothing wrong [colloquially] with using “Seder” today, as anyone who knows what “seder” (order) means, understands the reference.

So, if you were writing a scholarly text, or teaching a class about Passover this precision would be needed. But, for the discussion at hand (which is about whether salt can be used in communion bread :slight_smile: ) it is perfectly acceptable and understandable.

I must say, I do enjoy your posts that include commentary on Biblical languages. We need more posts like that and less of the “dead-horse-beating” politics, modesty, and pilpul-like scrutiny over whether “X is a mortal sin.”

Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ,
Deacon Christopher

3 Likes

Thank you, @Diaconia!

1 Like

Well, technically - Le’echol Hapesach was the blessing that people recite before they ate the Passover’s sacrifice in Jerusalem’s temple. I know Haktuvim website, and I got to say, that because it related to Messianic Jews, an unreliable heretic crazy evangelistic sect, some people even say a cult, I do not use it. They are fully Christians who pretend to be Jews just because they took some things from our culture. I do not have a problem with the fact that they are part of Christianity, I have a problem with the fact they are doing missions to religious Jews and pretend to be Jews because of that. It insults us very bad.

Thank you for that information about Haktuvim. I didn’t know about that connection. I just look at their online Bible from time to time, usually — as in this case — to see how the translators handled certain passages in the NT. Can you recommend another website where we can read the BSI NT, and that is equally quick and easy to use?

[EDIT]

This what I found on the Haktuvim home page:

About

HaKtuvim.co.il is operated by the Bible Society in Israel. Our vision is to facilitate the study of the Scriptures, free of charge and free of advertising, both in Israel and throughout the world.

This site is not associated with any organization, denomination, synagogue or church, but is meant to serve people from any background who desire to dig deep in the Scriptures. The Word of God was given freely to the world through the Jewish people, and we endeavor to play our part by making the Bible freely accessible to all.

Well, you should know that Haktuvim website is part of The Bible Society of Israel which made by Messianic “Judaism”.

And what does BSI mean?

The BSI is the Bible Society in Israel, which produced the translation of the New Testament first published in the 1970s and subsequently adopted for liturgical use by the Catholic Church, among others, replacing Delitzsch and other older translations. I understand your objection to the BSI on the grounds of its connection with the Messianic Judaism movement, but its New Testament in Hebrew is the one we have. A priest connected with the St. James Vicariate once told me that two Catholic priests were members of the editorial committee that produced the BSI New Testament, and that there is nothing in the translation that the Catholic Church might object to.

I’ve been taking a closer look at the BSI website and I found this, which certainly seems to confirm what you say about the Messianic connection:

Over the approximately 2,000 years since Yeshua came to earth, a huge gap has grown between Christianity and the Jewish people, so much so that most Jews do not know the Christian faith is founded on the Hebrew Bible, much less that Yeshua’s teachings are at all relevant to them as Jews. The purpose of these open lectures is to take steps to close this gap, through education and dialogue.

These nuns make communion hosts with electric stove.

1 Like

I like using crushed matzo as a coating for chicken.

1 Like

Me, too! You can buy crushed matzoh in cans like bread crumbs. I mix them in with Panko crumbs…nice and crispy chicken!

2 Likes

And if you mix about 1/3 Panko, 1/3 Matzo crumbs, 1/4 crushed Ritz or Club crackers, and the rest flour, the Ritz add a buttery taste to the coating. Add some herbs, maybe some Italian Seasoning, OY, such a chicken!

3 Likes

I’ve never tried adding crushed Ritz crackers…I should, I love Ritz! As Andy Griffith said…Good Cracker!

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.