Sacramental marriage?

I am a cradle Catholic and I married a non Catholic but not only a non Catholic, an unbaptized Jewish man.(Although not a practicing Jew but he does lean more towards that religion.) I was recently talking to a friend of mine who is pretty knowledgeable about Church teachings and she said that since my husband is not baptized, our marriage is not a Sacramental marriage. Is this true? My heart feels very sad if this is the case but I understand that when I made my choice, there were bound to be repercussions. For the record, we were married in the Church and are raising our children in the Faith. He is VERY supportive of me raising the children Catholic since he realizes what it means to me for them to be Catholic. I guess I just didn't think know about marrying an unbaptized person at the time of my marriage.
Any insight is appreciated.

Yes! Of course your marriage is valid and licit!

[quote="Karenmarie20, post:1, topic:235192"]
I am a cradle Catholic and I married a non Catholic but not only a non Catholic, an unbaptized Jewish man.(Although not a practicing Jew but he does lean more towards that religion.) I was recently talking to a friend of mine who is pretty knowledgeable about Church teachings and she said that since my husband is not baptized, our marriage is not a Sacramental marriage. Is this true? My heart feels very sad if this is the case but I understand that when I made my choice, there were bound to be repercussions. For the record, we were married in the Church and are raising our children in the Faith. He is VERY supportive of me raising the children Catholic since he realizes what it means to me for them to be Catholic. I guess I just didn't think know about marrying an unbaptized person at the time of my marriage.
Any insight is appreciated.

[/quote]

Since you got married in the Church, I would think it is valid. Were these things not addressed in your pre-cana meetings? scratches head

Hope If I am incorrect, someone will correct me.

OP, your marriage is valid, and licit because you went through the Church and received dispensations.

Your marriage isn't a sacrament because in order to receive a sacrament, one needs to receive the first sacrament, Baptism, which your husband has not received.

But the Church sees you as married.

Sorry if I'm confusing you more.

Baptism is the gateway to all other sacraments. Therefore, a person who is not baptized cannot receive the sacrament of marriage. Your marriage is what the Church calls a natural marriage. If your husband ever receives baptism, the marriage receives a sacramental character at that time.

Your marriage is valid. It is not a sacrament. These two terms mean different things and are not interchangeable. You have a valid, natural marriage. This should have been explained to you during marriage preparation.

So, I’m not sure what *repercussions *you are talking about.

Thanks all for your replies! Sorry if I wasn’t clear about some things as far as wording. As far as marrying a non Catholic or non Christian I knew that certain aspects of living out our marriage would be tough because he is not Baptized. I am sure it was brought up in our marriage prep ( I think!) but that was 7.5 years ago and 4 kids later my brain is fried! hahahaha…
I understand why our marriage is not sacramental and I guess that means that we don’t receive the grace that comes with receiving a sacrament because of that. I wanted to ask this also because my sister is dating a Jewish man (don’t know what it is with us and Jewish men! :slight_smile: ) who she is very serious about marrying and I don’t know that he has been baptized so I wanted to get the info in case she ever asks about this.
Again, thank you for all your replies, and I will continue to pray for my husbands conversion, not my will but that the will of Our Father be done!

[quote="LoyalViews, post:2, topic:235192"]
Yes! Of course your marriage is valid and licit!

[/quote]

It is both valid and licit since you married according to the laws of the Church. It is not sacramental because one party is not baptized, and only the baptized can receive the other sacraments. Should in the future he ever decide to be baptized, the marriage will become sacramental at that moment with no further action required.

If he’s a Jew, I think you can take it to the bank that he wasn’t baptized “In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.” :smiley:

Phemie-
Hahahaha, in regards to that. His dad is Jewish but his mom is Catholic, hence I am not sure if he was Baptized or not. ;) So not sure on that count!

Ah, I see.

Just as an aside - how is the marriage going - because that is the important part - because while God may not always give Sacramental graces he can still bless us in many ways. IMHO :wink:

Joan- My marriage is very blessed, thank you for asking! We are getting ready to welcome our 4th child in May and overall, I really can't complain. My husband is a very patient and supportive man. He has NEVER made an issue out of me being a practicing Catholic and in fact, goes to Mass with us every Sunday, says prayers with our boys and always backs me up when there are questions about the Faith. In all honesty, sometimes I feel like he is so much holier than I am. For someone who was not raised with any faith whatsoever, he is just such a good person and I promise that is not just my bias talking!! :p

Anyway sorry to go off on a tangent, just wanted to state that yes, we have a very blessed marriage and while there are certain aspects of it that require work (what marriage doesn't!) we are happy and Thank God every day for each other.

[quote="1ke, post:5, topic:235192"]
Baptism is the gateway to all other sacraments. Therefore, a person who is not baptized cannot receive the sacrament of marriage. Your marriage is what the Church calls a natural marriage. If your husband ever receives baptism, the marriage receives a sacramental character at that time.

Your marriage is valid. It is not a sacrament. These two terms mean different things and are not interchangeable. You have a valid, natural marriage. This should have been explained to you during marriage preparation.

So, I'm not sure what *repercussions *you are talking about.

[/quote]

WOW... this is news to me... that it's not sacramental. This was not explained during our prep. My DH is not Baptised. That does actually make me a little sad. I have functioned under the theory that I had rec'd/been through the sacrament of marriage... Wow... Off to ponder...

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.