Sacramento Baptist preacher incites outrage with praise of Orlando massacre

Pastor Roger Jimenez of Sacramento’s Verity Baptist Church is praising the shooting at Pulse that left 49 victims dead and at least 53 injured. He spewed a hate-filled sermon against members of the LGBTQ community hours after the mass murder in Orlando.

“Are you sad that 50 pedophiles were killed today?” Jimenez said in a sermon, uploaded to the Verity Baptist Church YouTube account. “Um no, I think that’s great! I think that helps society. I think Orlando, Florida, is a little safer tonight.”

“As Christians, should we be mourning the death of these 50 vile, perverted predators?” he added.

He apparently wanted to instruct parishioners on the “Biblical response” to the massacre.

“All I’m saying is that when people die who deserve to die, it’s not a tragedy,” he said. “There’s no tragedy. I wish the government would round them all up, put them up against a firing wall, put a firing squad in front of them, and blow their brains out.”

Man, these people and their Leviticus. If that was such an important Bible verse, why isn’t homosexuality punishable by death in Israel? How come you don’t hear many Jewish anti-gay activists writing it on signs and picketing places?

Also, unrelated to Orlando, I’ll never understand certain protestant denominations. I can’t imagine sitting through such long sermons every week.

Westboro? Did you change your congregation’s name???

This “preacher” needs to be sat down and made to reflect for a good long while on Luke 18:9-14.:mad:

Just as an aside, it appears that is a tiny church that operates out of an office park. It doesn’t seem to claim affiliation with any Baptist organizations nor does the pastor claim any specific religious education. Calling him a Baptist preacher seems to be a deliberate misrepresentation of what he is.

That was my first reaction as well. This “church” sounds a lot like Westboro just without the picketing… yet.

No. They’re just the ones that get noticed because they like to protest and get noticed by the media, but there are many more like them. There have been others echoing Mr. Jimenez’s sentiments over the past few days, and some that say they don’t approve of individuals taking matters into their own hands like the Orlando shooter did, but they do want a government that would make homosexuality punishable by death; they don’t mind the outcome, but they want it to go through “proper channels.”

How embarrassing that this so called preacher lives in my hometown, Sacramento. His “church”+ is on the outskirts of the city in an unincorporated area and it is in an industrial complex. I wish there would be an organized demonstration denouncing his hateful rhetoric, I would gladly participate. Do any of you think that Jesus would approve??:eek:

Independent Baptists. They do not have (or want) any affiliation with other groups or hierarchical organizations. It’s not uncommon for them to meet in a rented space since they perhaps can’t afford their own building. It’s also not uncommon for their pastors to have had no seminary training (those schools are sometimes called “cemeteries” to show what they think of them).

Not all of them are bad. I know some folk from one in town. Fundamentalists, yes, but nice folks. I think they’d be horrified by statements like the ones the “pastor” in the article made.

I think I know what you are referring to here. That was a bit shocking. I was relating that back to my wife yesterday evening and felt horrible trying to explain it to her, not to mention the embarrassment that it was a Catholic expressing the opinion. I’m sure they have a quote from Aquinas they use to justify it.

I seem to recall Jesus having no qualms about calling out religious figures in his day who had gone “off the path” (or off the rails, in this case).

I’m not thinking of just one instance, but several (in the past few days; I know of more going back further than that). I don’t actually recall any of them being Catholic.

Because Israel is a parliamentary state and not a theocracy?

All Bible verses are “important,” but God has not given all human civic entities the right to enforce the laws therein contained. The prophetic kingdom is gone.

ICXC NIKA

Whooh.

One shouldn’t be expected to sympathize with alternate sexuality, but shouldn’t grief for the dead be part of the Christian faith?

ICXC NIKA

Goodness gracious, I though you were talking about a poster here (I won’t search for the user name)! I guess I’ve been avoiding the comment sections lately. I’ve noticed that the more conservative types are being a bit weird about this incident. I’m not sure what to make of it but it doesn’t look good.

He’s making Christians look bad with that kind of attitude, giving us a bad name.

Sorry to keep making it worse, but I’m not even counting anonymous, comments-section kinds of things, either. At least one was another pastor, a few others publish things on far right websites (not anonymously, either, but none of them are household names). But we are talking only about a handful of people here, not representative of any significant group or movement (I hope not, anyway; it’s getting harder for me to tell what counts as “fringe” these days).

This genuinely makes me angry. :mad: How could you say something like that? I guess bad theology?

Don’t think it’s theology at it’s core that’s any different than any other branch of Christianity that says homosexuality (or homosexual acts) are inherently sinful. This Baptist church however like Westboro takes that same theology to a radical and extremely uncharitable extreme choosing to ignore even the humanity of the victims.

Ezek 33:11 – ‘As I live,’ says the Lord God, 'I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked . . . ’ (NKJV)

And neither should we. And neither should Jimenez and his tiny little gang.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.