Sacraments/End of Life?

My mother has been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer that has spread to the brain. She has been given 3 months. I have talked and prayed with her and she is at peace with the situation and the state of her soul. She is at home with hospice helping. I am wondering, when is it appropriate to ask a Priest to come to provide the sacraments? She has been sick for a long time and has not been able to attend church in years. What do I do next? Since she does not have a Priest, who do I ask? Thank you for your help!

Now is the right time, so the priest can get to know her a bit, talk to her and console her, and help her prepare for end of life.

If she does not have a priest, then call your own priest and ask him if he will assist. If he is not available, then call your Diocese to see if they can help with finding a priest.

May God give her, and your family, comfort and peace.

It is not too soon - start making calls today.

~Liza

Call your priest today. Arrange for him to bring her the sacraments frequently.

Please post your mother's first name so we can pray for her.

May God guide HER, you and your family with Love, Mercy and Comfort through these difficult times!

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.

Don’t leave it to the last moment!

Your mom may want to spend some decent amount of time with the priest while she is relatively strong.

I’m in this situation with my father in law who also has stage 4 cancer in his liver. He left the Church decades ago, but is willing to see the priest. He is going through treatment right now which stops this week. After a few days he will be a bit stronger and the priest has agreed to see him then. Hopefully he can have some decent time to pray receive the sacraments, and compose himself for his final journey.

[quote="mkelly58, post:1, topic:286832"]
My mother has been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer that has spread to the brain. She has been given 3 months. I have talked and prayed with her and she is at peace with the situation and the state of her soul. She is at home with hospice helping. I am wondering, when is it appropriate to ask a Priest to come to provide the sacraments? She has been sick for a long time and has not been able to attend church in years. What do I do next? Since she does not have a Priest, who do I ask? Thank you for your help!

[/quote]

Under canon law, she is automatically a member of the Catholic parish that includes her home ("registration" is irrelevant; for that matter, so is attendance). The priest there is obligated to take care of her spiritual and Sacramental needs. Call the local parish and ask to have someone come to the house to administer the Sacraments. Explain that she has been unable to attend church, and she needs Reconciliation, Communion, and the Annointing of the Sick.

And do it now.

As others have said call a priest to come this week. The parish probably will have someone who can bring her the Eucharist regularly thereafter.

With my prayers - Joe K.

Her attendance, or lack thereof, is completely irrelevant. I spoke with the parish priest where my mother now lives. She is Catholic, but after a falling-out with her old parish, hasn't been to Mass in years (until she was living with me for awhile last year, when I dragged her to Mass each Sunday, with the provisio that we go to brunch afterwards!)

Anyways, the priest in the parish where she now lives was delighted to make a pastoral visit, hear her confession, and offer her the Eucharist. She's mobility-impaired, diabetic, and very old, but she's in better shape than a lot of people ten years younger than her. She now receives the Eucharist for shut-ins weekly if I can't get there on a Sunday to take her to Mass (she lives about an hour from me now.)

Believe me, just about any priest would be very happy to bring an infirm and long-absent Catholic back into the fold!

Please forgive me for my late reply! I want to thank everyone for their kind works, direction and offers for prayer! I was able to contact a wonderful Priest who came and offered the Sacraments to my Mom! It was such an amazing moment and one that I will never ever forget. It was such a joy and comfort to be a part of that after he spent some time alone with her! I am sorry I haven’t replied sooner but things got difficult for my Mom and I found myself too tired and emotionally drained to get on here any earlier. Many of you probably know what I am talking about too! My Mom is now in Hospice and it looks like the end is near. I will spend tonight with her and pray. Your posts have been such a comfort and I am so grateful for the advice and the fact that Fr. came when he did. He was everything a Priest should be and a blessing to my Mom and my family! Your continued prayers would be appreciated.
In Jesus & Mary,
Mike

[quote="mkelly58, post:10, topic:286832"]
Please forgive me for my late reply! I want to thank everyone for their kind works, direction and offers for prayer! I was able to contact a wonderful Priest who came and offered the Sacraments to my Mom! It was such an amazing moment and one that I will never ever forget. It was such a joy and comfort to be a part of that after he spent some time alone with her! I am sorry I haven't replied sooner but things got difficult for my Mom and I found myself too tired and emotionally drained to get on here any earlier. Many of you probably know what I am talking about too! My Mom is now in Hospice and it looks like the end is near. I will spend tonight with her and pray. Your posts have been such a comfort and I am so grateful for the advice and the fact that Fr. came when he did. He was everything a Priest should be and a blessing to my Mom and my family! Your continued prayers would be appreciated.

[/quote]

Prayer to Saint Peregrine, patron saint of cancer patients

O great St. Peregrine, you have been called "The Mighty," "The Wonder-Worker," because of the numerous miracles which you have obtained from God for those who have had recourse to you. For so many years you bore in your own flesh this cancerous disease that destroys the very fibre of our being, and who had recourse to the source of all grace when the power of man could do no more. You were favoured with the vision of Jesus coming down from His Cross to heal your affliction. Ask of God and Our Lady, the cure of the sick whom we entrust to you, especially Mike's mother. Aided in this way by your powerful intercession, we shall sing to God, now and for all eternity, a song of gratitude for His great goodness and mercy. Amen.

There is also a novena to Saint Peregrine. I will keep her in my prayers.

Mike,

We’re praying for you. I’m very glad to hear that you were able to reach a priest to come see your mother. Do not be afraid to ask for another visit, or for someone to bring her Holy Communion, or for her parish to send someone to visit her. Bringing Communion to the sick is the obligation of every parish; pastoring to the sick is the obligation of every priest; visiting the sick is a corporal work of mercy. Helping your mother is part of what the Church is for.

And don’t be afraid to ask for help for yourself, too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.