sacraments

What are the symbols of the 7 sacraments

I’m unsure if you’re referring to the matter/form of the seven sacraments or their effects. Briefly these are:

Baptism
Water, words of baptism, anointing with oil.
Effect: Becoming a member of the Church (Christian Initiation); also being forgiven of one’s sins.

Confirmation
Laying on of hands, words of confirmation, anointing with oil.
Effect: Being strengthened by the Holy Spirit; being confirmed in the fullness of the Christian faith.

Eucharist
Bread, wine, words of consecration.
Effect: Being spiritually nourished by Christ’s Body and Blood; being united with Christ and other believers.

Reconciliation
Confession of sins, words of absolution.
Effect: Being forgiven of one’s sins; being reconciled to God, the Church, and other people

Anointing of Sick
Laying on of hands, anointing with oil, words of blessing.
Effect: Being strengthened in time of illness.

Marriage
Exchange of vows and rings.
Effect: Being united (one flesh) in God’s eyes; becoming a publicly and legally recognized couple.

Holy orders
Laying on of hands, anointing with oil, prayer of consecration, giving of instruments.
Effect: Becoming a member of the ordained clergy, the Church’s official leadership.

Funny, my Catholic schools always taught me that felt banners were the ultimate symbols of the sacraments. All of them. Oh, and we mustn’t forget a good collage.

I do not know if to laugh or to cry. :o

[quote="Cristiano, post:4, topic:285234"]
I do not know if to laugh or to cry. :o

[/quote]

I've probably done equal shares of both.

[quote="mattkubes, post:3, topic:285234"]
Funny, my Catholic schools always taught me that felt banners were the ultimate symbols of the sacraments. All of them. Oh, and we mustn't forget a good collage.

[/quote]

Indeed, and carried in procession before Solemn High Mass.;)

Ha good point, although these were banners of an entirely different nature.

But now that we know better, we can help to ensure that others do not become confused and conflate banners and collages with outward signs, instituted by Christ to give grace.
Three cheers for the Baltimore Catechism and the new evangelization!:thumbsup:
Baltimore Catechism No. 3 - Lesson 13
LESSON THIRTEENTH: On the Sacraments in General
Q. 574. What is a Sacrament?

A. A Sacrament is an outward sign instituted by Christ to give grace.

Q. 575. Are these three things, namely: An outward or visible sign, the institution of that sign by Christ, and the giving of grace through the use of that sign, always necessary for the existence of a Sacrament?

A. These three things, namely: 1.An outward or visible sign, the institution of that sign by Christ, and the giving of grace through the use of that sign, are always necessary for the existence of a Sacrament, and if any of the three be wanting there can be no Sacrament.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.