sacraments?

hi yall. i ain’t a catholic. im a charismtaic christian. and i aint tryin to start an arguement. i do respect the catholic church in many ways. and i do not judge any catholic. but i would like to know where and how the sacraments of the catholic church originated. i dont find the word sacrament in scripture, so please inform me on this please. thank you very much! God bless!

All of the Sacraments can be found in the Bible.

The Sacraments are Baptism, Confession, the Eucharist, Confirmation, Holy Matrimony, Holy Orders and Annointing of the Sick.

Which ones are you not able to locate in the Bible?

k, well i can find all of them in the bible. i guess i worded my question wrong. but also correct me if i am wrong…the catholic church says that you are not saved unless you do all these sacraments to become part of the catholic church? is that right?

[quote=metal4jesus]hi yall. i ain’t a catholic. im a charismtaic christian. and i aint tryin to start an arguement. i do respect the catholic church in many ways. and i do not judge any catholic. but i would like to know where and how the sacraments of the catholic church originated. i dont find the word sacrament in scripture, so please inform me on this please. thank you very much! God bless!
[/quote]

The word sacrament comes from Latin and is an outward sign instituted by Christ that gives us grace.

The sacraments are:
1.baptism
2.reconciliation–in John, on Easter night, Jesus gave the apostles the power to forgive sins
3. Eucharist–established at the Last Supper
4. Confirmation–Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to us at Pentecost
5. Marriage–Yes, this existed before, by Jesus raised it to sacrament.
6 Holy Orders–Jesus set the 12 apart from his other disciples, and gave them the authority to preach, drive out demons, forgive sins, and they were with him at the last supper. We believe this special charism has been passed down to the priests of today.
7 Annointing of the Sick…James says “is any among you sick…”

[quote=metal4jesus]k, well i can find all of them in the bible. i guess i worded my question wrong. but also correct me if i am wrong…the catholic church says that you are not saved unless you do all these sacraments to become part of the catholic church? is that right?
[/quote]

No. In fact it’s not possible for everyone to receive all of the sacraments.

You become part of the Church through baptism. Your initiation is completed with Eucharist and Confirmation.

how come the holy orders are only given to priests according to the catholic faith?

what is confirmation excactly?

[quote=metal4jesus]how come the holy orders are only given to priests according to the catholic faith?
[/quote]

The apostles were the first bishops. As the Church grew, the bishops granted authority to elders (priests) to act as ambassadors as the bishop couldn’t be everywhare at once.

This has been passed downs through the apostles by the laying of the hands.

So a priest by definition, is someone who has received Holy Orders.

ive always wondered why nondenominationals and baptists and church of christ and many other denominations dont have the priestly government in church. why is that? and why is it that catholics still do?

[quote=metal4jesus]what is confirmation excactly?
[/quote]

It’s the completion of the baptismal graces, when we’re strengthened by the Holy Spirit.

read scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c1a2.htm

[quote=metal4jesus]k, well i can find all of them in the bible. i guess i worded my question wrong. but also correct me if i am wrong…the catholic church says that you are not saved unless you do all these sacraments to become part of the catholic church? is that right?
[/quote]

The Sacraments are necessary for salvation, even if not all are necessary for each individual. For instance, not everyone will marry, so not everyone receives the Sacrament of Matrimony. Not everyone becomes a priest, so not everyone receives the Sacrament of Holy Orders. On the other hand, Baptism is necessary for salvation for everyone.

[quote=metal4jesus]how come the holy orders are only given to priests according to the catholic faith?
[/quote]

Because Holy Orders is the Sacrament in which one would be ordained into the priesthood.

[/quote]

It isn’t just priests. It is deacons, priests, and bishops. And they were just ordinary before they got it, so ordinary people do get holy orders, so I’m not sure I understand you. Ordinary people get holy orders and then they are deacons, priests, and bishops after they got the holy orders. It is because they get hands laid on them for that purpose.

There is also laying on of hands for other purposes.

Just so you know, ordinary baptized Christians share in the priesthood of Christ, but not in the holy orders kind of way.

[quote=metal4jesus]what is confirmation excactly?
[/quote]

Confirmation is a sacrament of initiation into the Christian life. You can see it described in the Bible in Hebrews 6:2, for example. In Acts 8:14-17, 9:17, 19:6, and Hebrews 6:1-2 as well.

It is the laying on of hands for the purpose of bestowing the Holy Spirit.

[quote=metal4jesus]ive always wondered why nondenominationals and baptists and church of christ and many other denominations dont have the priestly government in church. why is that? and why is it that catholics still do?
[/quote]

The Church has apostolic authority which the other denominations you mentioned do not.

[quote=metal4jesus]ive always wondered why nondenominationals and baptists and church of christ and many other denominations dont have the priestly government in church. why is that? and why is it that catholics still do?
[/quote]

I’ll play along with this even though it’s pretty obvious this whole thread is a joke or a game of some kind. :thumbsup:

The “other” denominations that you are apparently referring to are all descendents of the Churches formed after the reformation. I’m sure you have heard of that, Martin Luther John Huss etc etc.? Collectively they are called Protestants. One of the mainstays of the Protestant sects is that they reject the priest class. Martin Luther, heard of him, the great seeker of truth? felt that everyman should be a priest and said that the separation of the laity and the priests was an abomination and an insult to God. So when they broke away from Rome and founded their own churches which satisfied their whims, they too rejected the Priestly class.

And just so you know, it is not just the Roman Catholic Church that still have the how did you word it Priestly Government?, The Orthodox Churches also have them, as well as all the Catholic Churches, as I’m sure you know the Roman Church is not the only catholic Church . And lets not forget the Coptic Church in Egypt and Ethiopia, two of the oldest christian churches in the world. Did I mention the Antiochan Church as well?

You see metal4, sorry I won’t add the name Jesus in such a disrespectful way, all of these churches have one thing in common. It is something called Apostolic Succession. And what that means is that they can trace their origins back to the times of the Apostles. None of the churches you mentioned can even come close to that.

It is unfortunate that in their headlong rush to distance themselves from the horrors of the Papacy, the Protestants chose to throw out such a historically and theologically correct and sustainable concept as the ordained Priesthood and apostolic succession.

[quote=axolotl]No. In fact it’s not possible for everyone to receive all of the sacraments…
[/quote]

A married man who is ordained to the Permanent Diacinate or to the Priesthood (permitted in some rites, also in certain exceptional situations in which certain married non-Catholic clergy are received into the Church), and who has also received the Annointing of the Sick at some time, would have received all seven Sacraments.

[quote=JB.]A married man who is ordained to the Permanent Diacinate or to the Priesthood (permitted in some rites, also in certain exceptional situations in which certain married non-Catholic clergy are received into the Church), and who has also received the Annointing of the Sick at some time, would have received all seven Sacraments.
[/quote]

I didn’t that noone can receive all seven sacraments. I said that not everyone can. Perhaps I put a pronoun or modifier in the wrong spot, altering the meaning of the sentence.

[/quote]

because priests are men called by God to this vocation. Women are not called, obviously, since Jesus did not call women to the priesthood, and most men are not called. Only those called receive ordination. Not all the ordained are called to be priests. Some are called to be deacons and do not receive the powers reserved for priests. Only bishops receive the fullness of ordination, and not all priests are called to be bishops.

Interesting quote from Scott Hahn on the Sacraments on an EWTN program.
He said the Sacraments don’t make salvation easy but they make it possible.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.