Sacred Scripture interpretation

Where can I find a written explanation and / or interpretation (teaching) of any given passage of Sacred Scripture by The Church / Magisterium (the Teaching Authority of The Church) other than the Catechism ?

Well, the church does not have an official commentary on scripture. However, there is, for one, St. Thomas Aquinas’s Catena Aurea which he compiled. It is a commentary on the Gospels by the Church Fathers…

Here is one online source:

catecheticsonline.com/CatenaAurea-Matthew1.php

Also, see this link: (look under biblical commentaries)

dhspriory.org/thomas/

catholiccommentaryonsacredscripture.com Is amazing, they have 9 volumes

Oh, you did say written, didn’t you. :slight_smile:

I myself have a complete set of the Navarre Bible, and I’m very happy with it.

Ignatius Catholic Study Bible is good, too.

I have a copy of the Catena Aurea published by ummm… Preserving Christian Publications Inc. and I think it is indeed a treasure.

As the squire has stated, Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture is also quite good, it seems.

The Catena Aurea is most thorough, I think. It’s difficult to compile a commentary that goes through the Bbile word by word, verse by verse commentary even can be hard to find.

I did see a recent set of volumes available through Leaflet Missal that I’m unfamiliar with:

***Cornelis A Lapide's Commentary on the Four Gospels***. 

In depth commentaries are an investment. It depends on what you’re looking for and how much you’re willing to spend.

Thank you very much for your input and links to resources!! You’ve all been a big help! God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.