Sacrifice of the Mass and Mortal/Venial sins

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the Church teaching that Mass is a representation of Christ’s sacrifice at Calvary? I assume we would all agree that this sacrifice was sufficient for the forgiveness of the sins of mankind. So, then, why does it not forgive mortal sins? I am under the impression that mortal sins must be forgiven in Confession, and the receiving the Eucharist forgives venial sins. If that is wrong, correct me. If not, do you see where it is confusing? Some clarity on the matter would help.

The Mass is the Re-presentation of Christ’s sacrifice at Calvary. That means that it’s not crucifying Him over and over. There was ONE complete bloody Crucifixion and there will NEVER be another complete bloody crucifixion. The RE-presentation of the Mass is the UNBloody Sacrifice of His Crucifixion. Because a mortal sin is a person’s CHOSEN will to defy God and separate oneself from Him. A venial sin isn’t. I hope I explained it like I understand it.

So because it is not the once-for-all bloody sacrifice, it does not forgive mortal sins? Did I understand that correctly?

Don’t quote me on that but that’s how I understand it to be.

The Eucharist was at the last supper before Jesus died on the cross.

My friend I do not find this confusing in the least:

A Soul must be a Catholic Baptized believer to receive Jesus in Person in Holy Communion.

That is why we beg God’s forgiveness on our lesser sins at the early part of the Mass.

Mortal sins by there nature and the essential conditions for committing same
1 Serious Matter
2 Awareness BEFORE the act is desired that it will be a Mortal sin
3 Then FREELY desiring to do it anyway: a DIRECT, premeditated ATTACK of the Sovereignty of Jesus Christ

DEFINED by Fr John Hardon’s Dictionary

MORTAL SIN. An actual sin that destroys sanctifying grace and causes the supernatural death of the soul. Mortal sin is a turning away from God because of a seriously inordinate adherence to creatures that causes grave injury to a person’s rational nature and to the social order, and deprives the sinner of a right to heaven.

The terms mortal, deadly, grave, and serious applied to sin are synonyms, each with a slightly different implication. Mortal and deadly focus on the effects in the sinner, namely deprivation of the state of friendship with God; grave and serious refer to the importance of the matter in which a person offends God. But the Church never distinguishes among these terms as though they represented different kinds of sins. There is only one recognized correlative to mortal sin, and that is venial sin, which offends against God but does not cause the loss of one’s state of grace. (Etym. Latin mors, death.) END QUOTE

While this act separates us from Union with Jesus; God is ever mindful of US being created in His very image Gen 1;26-27 and therefore instituted Sacramental Confession so that we CAN admit our error; commit to with HIS Grace to avoid that sin in the future and in humility and true repentance; receive the known forgiveness of our sin.

Sacramental Confession reminds US that “God” can be spelled 3 ways
GOD
LOVE
MERCY ; 3 manifestations of the Same GOD, nor should this be a surprise to us. Just as the requirement for being reunited with Christ REQUIRES because of its seriousness; humility and repentance, and a FIRM purpose of amendment.

It is sooooo easy to take our sins lightly. They sent GOD to the Cross. Amen

God Bless you
Patrick

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.