Sacrifice of the Mass?

That word “sacrifice” has been a question for me for over 50 years.
We say " the Sacrifice of the Mass". Is there an unbloody sacrifice on the alter at the concecration? Is the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross just being “extended” or carried over to the Mass.

At what point in the Mass does the sacrifice take place? Sure I know of Jesus’ real presence in the Host and the Wine, but where is the sacrifice?

Thank You

“The Church teaches that the Mass is the re-presentation of the sacrifice of Calvary, which also is invariably misunderstood by anti-Catholics. The Catholic Church does not teach that the Mass is a re-crucifixion of Christ, who does not suffer and die again in the Mass.

Yet, it is more than just a memorial service. John A. O’Brien, writing in The Faith of Millions, said, “The manner in which the sacrifices are offered is alone different: On the cross Christ really shed his blood and was really slain; in the Mass, however, there is no real shedding of blood, no real death; but the separate consecration of the bread and of the wine symbolizes the separation of the body and blood of Christ and thus symbolizes his death upon the cross. The Mass is the renewal and perpetuation of the sacrifice of the cross in the sense that it offers [Jesus] anew to God . . . and thus commemorates the sacrifice of the cross, reenacts it symbolically and mystically, and applies the fruits of Christ’s death upon the cross to individual human souls. All the efficacy of the Mass is derived, therefore, from the sacrifice of Calvary” (306).

The Mass, of course, does not re-crucify Christ. The Catholic Church specifically says Christ does not die again—his death is once for all. It would be something else if the Church were to claim he does die again, but it doesn’t make that claim. Through his intercessory ministry in heaven and through the Mass, Jesus continues to offer himself to his Father as a living sacrifice, and he does so in what the Church specifically states is “an unbloody manner”—one that does not involve a new crucifixion.”

Jesus does not offer himself to God as a bloody, dying sacrifice in the Mass, but as we offer ourselves, a “living sacrifice” (Rom. 12:1). As this passage indicates, the offering of sacrifice does not require death or the shedding of blood. If it did, we could not offer ourselves as living sacrifices to God. Jesus, having shed his blood once for all on the cross, now offers himself to God in a continual, unbloody manner as a holy, living sacrifice on our behalf.”

Full text is here.

At what point in the Mass does the sacrifice take place?

The words “This is my body” and “This is my blood,” are the essential form of the consecration. After the consecration, the Host is no longer referred to as ‘bread and wine’, but as the Real Presence. The Eucharist is a sacrifice because it makes present the sacrifice of the cross…and because it applies its fruit (CCC1366).

Additional reading:

*This Is My Body *
By Mark Shea
(63 pages)
To order go
here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.