Sacrifice

Question, and I have no idea if the Church has an official teaching on this so if there is none, please let me know!

I know that the crucifixion was Jesus offering himself as a sacrifice to the Father and this is what the Eucharist is as well…

Were the animal sacrifices in the OT specifically to God the Father? Or are sacrifices offered to the whole trinity?

Thanks!

The eternal Trinity accepted them, but they were offered only to God as they understood Him.

Is this a formal teaching of the Church?

Thank you for your reply :slight_smile:

The Trinitarian nature of God was not revealed to man before Christ.

The revelation of God in the Jewish Scriptures was “pregnant” with the later revelation of the Trinity. The Jews knew God as Creator of “the heavens and the earth” (i.e. everything), God was their Savior and Deliverer, and there are frequent references to the “spirit” of God.

Mystically, God is referred to three times in the greatest prayer commanded of the Jews (see Deut 6:4 and following):

Hear, O Israel, the LORD is God, the LORD alone.

The sacrifice of Isaac and the animal sacrifices in the Temple foreshadowed the ultimate sacrifice of the Son to the Father…

Read Romans Ch 11 on how God intentionally hid Himself from the Jews, even to this day, as part of his plan of Salvation. But, ultimately the revelation of God in Three Persons should delight the Jews, as being beyond their acknowledged faith of the ineffable God up to that time. There still is but One God, but that Godhead has been revealed in Christ as beyond the wildest imagination of the Jews. It’s a lesson for us all not to worship gods of our own making and thinking.

Read Salvation is from the Jews by Roy Shoeman.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.