Saddam's Last Words

I would like to ask the Muslims on this site how they feel about Saddam’s seemingly brief conversion to Islam before his death? ‘Muhammed’ was the last word that came from his mouth before he was hanged.

Wasn’t he a Muslim anyway? I know he had never been very religious, but still…

He lived like a western gangster. His favorite films were ‘the godfather’ trilogy, and ‘scarface’. He butchered millions of Muslims. It wasn’t until he was facing trial and death that he seemed to turn religious. I’d like to know if Muslims take Saddam’s conversion seriously.

He used obscene language at the gallows as the people chided him. Isn’t swearing and bad language unclean in Islam?

I don’t think he murdered millions of mulsims. maybe 100s of thousands. Do you think he should be punished for his cursing? It may be a little late for that.

Well, there’s still the afterlife for him to reckon with. Maybe he’ll get one less virgin or something. :rolleyes:

My question was with respect to how Muslims view Saddam’s conversion. Do they accept him as being a real Muslim?

If he’s being judged in the afterlife, I’d guess that cursing on the gallows is pretty far down on the list of issues. :slight_smile:

I used the curcing at the gallows as an example of why Saddam’s supposed conversion could be called into question. I just see it as a contridiction of his newly found religious devotion.

Naw, most of the Muslims I’ve met break their own rules all the time.

Odd you should say that. I had a white muslim man try to evangelize to me once. His presentation was peppered with profanity, anti-semitism, anti-Catholicism, criticisms of the Bible, and blasphemy against Jesus. Not very convincing!:rolleyes:

LOL that’s not as bad as one of my Muslim friends who (right in front of me, mind you) tryed hitting on this girl at the drive-thru by saying “yeah, when do you get off of work… we should go drinking or something…”

Muslims aren’t supposed to date OR have alcohol. This guy has no problem with either one. Double-whammy. :smiley:

I guess it all comes down to an issue of cleaning the inside of the cup, and not just the outside of it. Islam can’t change a person’s heart or cleanse a person of their inclination to sin. I’m reminded of this:

Joh 3:1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
Joh 3:2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born?
Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Joh 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
Joh 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Perhaps it’s an issue of not throwing stones?

I’m sure all the Catholics on this board have been accused of living as they want…speaking as they want…going where they want…doing what they want…and have it all “forgiven” with a confession to a priest…then going out and starting all over again until the next “confession” appointment.

Let’s not reinforce our sterotypes toward those of different faiths…just a suggestion…not an indictment.

Yes but if you look into his history you can tell that he was an obvious sociopath. His mother tried to commit suicide when he was still in her…And then he grew up bieng told that the three things that god shouldn’t of made was; jews,gays, and persians

I guess I should re-word my question again.

Should we think of Saddam as being a Muslim, or should we think of his supposed conversion as phoney? And, do Muslims accept him as Muslim?

Presumably so. Anyone who has said the Muslim profession of faith is considered a Muslim from that point on.

That is like saying that anyone reciting the ‘Our Father’ prayer could be considered Christian. :smiley:

I know that many Catholics don’t consider Protestants as Christians while Protestants still recite the ‘Our Father’ prayer - for example.

LOL I didn’t say it made any sense, but that is the orthodox Islam understanding of it.

btw, I think a better parallel would be the Apostle’s Creed.

Lutherans often include a footnote explaining the use of the word ‘Catholic’ in the creed. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.