Saddness In Heaven

Do the souls in Heaven feel saddness and concern for us, since we pray to them for their intercession, nearly always regarding to our problems and saddness here on Earth?

How do they see our sinfulness, our faults, and our weaknesses? Do they suffer for us in any way?

The confusion lies, in that we know Heaven is in the presence of God, where we are to be in total happiness, beyond our imagination.

This may be a good starting place:

amazon.com/Does-God-Suffer-Thomas-Weinandy/dp/0268008906

Thanks, Penitus. It sounds like a great book, but I was hoping for a more immediate answer. God Bless!

I’ve imagined they’re rather overwhelmed with their own remorse, regret and longing to be freed from purgatory to be able to take on our sadness and such.

I know they hear our pleas for help, or at least, are aware of them. I don’t think it’s necessary for them to know all the details or share our pain and suffering in order to be motivated to respond to our pleas by praying to God on our behalf, though. It seems it would be enough for them to know how much we long to be with God and how much He longs to be with us for them to desire to help us.

How do they see our sinfulness, our faults, and our weaknesses? Do they suffer for us in any way?

I’ve imagined it’s not so much that they see our sinfulness, faults or weaknesses as much as they feel/hear our pleas and cries for help and respond to that call by praying to God on our behalf.

Remember that souls cannot pray for themselves while in purgatory, which is why it is important for those of us on earth to pray for them. We don’t even know most of the souls in purgatory but we know God loves them and longs for them to be returned to Him so we do what we can to help them get to Him as soon as possible. It’s a gift we offer lovingly.

That’s not to say they can’t pray at all while they’re serving their time (so to speak). Since they are now experiencing that state of purgatory they may have learned about but couldn’t imagine or denied, they, of all beings, understand the importance of dying in a state of grace. I imagine it is with this new awareness they are motivated to respond to our pleas for help by praying for us because it is the gift they are able to offer out of love for us.

It’s my understanding the suffering they do in purgatory is for their own purification, not ours, so I don’t think they feel pain because of us or on our behalf or even share the pain we are experiencing here. I think they just truly comprehend and understand our longing to get things right while we still have time and that’s enough for them to want to help.

The confusion lies, in that we know Heaven is in the presence of God, where we are to be in total happiness, beyond our imagination.

Nothing confusing about that.
When we are reunited to our Creator we will be complete.

The beatific vision fills their cup completely. No sadness.

Oh geez. After reading your response, Buffalo, I see the error of my entire post. I thought the OP was talking about souls in purgatory, not already in heaven - even though I see clearly the word “Heaven” in the title of this thread and in his question. :blush:
I must have been coming off a different thread where purgatory was being discussed.

Jaguar, my apologies.
I ditto Buffalo’s response.
Once the soul reaches heaven it can only know love, being reunited with the Creator who IS love.

And now I understand the confusion. :rolleyes:

Still, I believe it’s not so much that they feel our pain or sufferings or share them either, but perhaps they remember what it was like to be in our shoes and that’s enough?

Either that or it would seem because they are reunited with Love Himself it is of that Love that they pray for us.

It’s kind of along the same line of questioning about whether or not God feels our pain or is sad when we turn away from Him during our lifetime.

Does God ‘feel’ human emotions??

I know He did when He was man.
I don’t know that the resurrected/ascended Jesus still does.

I do know that God created us out of love, that Love is such that it has to be shared/given.
When a soul is in heaven, doesn’t the soul become Love itself (having been reunited with the Creator) and thus wouldn’t it make sense for the souls to help us in any way they can ‘just because’ they love all of God’s creations?

Oh geez. After reading your response, Buffalo, I see the error of my entire post. I thought the OP was talking about souls in purgatory, not already in heaven - even though I see clearly the word “Heaven” in the title of this thread and in his question. :blush:
I must have been coming off a different thread where purgatory was being discussed.

** Moderator, please delete my previous post, thank you **

Jaguar, my apologies.
I ditto Buffalo’s response.
Once the soul reaches heaven it can only know love, being reunited with the Creator who IS love.

And now I understand the confusion. :rolleyes:

Still, I believe it’s not so much that they feel our pain or sufferings or share them either, but perhaps they remember what it was like to be in our shoes and that’s enough?

Either that or it would seem because they are reunited with Love Himself it is of that Love that they pray for us.

It’s kind of along the same line of questioning about whether or not God feels our pain or is sad when we turn away from Him during our lifetime.

Does God ‘feel’ human emotions??

I know He did when He was man.
I don’t know that the resurrected/ascended Jesus still does.

I do know that God created us out of love, that Love is such that it has to be shared/given.
When a soul is in heaven, doesn’t the soul become Love itself (having been reunited with the Creator) and thus wouldn’t it make sense for the souls to help us in any way they can ‘just because’ they love all of God’s creations?

There is no pain, suffering or sadness in Heaven.

Do you think this is true today or will be true after the last person comes through the gates?

or both?

Both.

CCC 1821 We can therefore hope in the glory of heaven promised by God to those who love him and do his will. In every circumstance, each one of us should hope, with the grace of God, to persevere "to the end"and to obtain the joy of heaven, as God’s eternal reward for the good works accomplished with the grace of Christ. In hope, the Church prays for “all men to be saved.” She longs to be united with Christ, her Bridegroom, in the glory of heaven:

Hope, O my soul, hope. You know neither the day nor the hour. Watch carefully, for everything passes quickly, even though your impatience makes doubtful what is certain, and turns a very short time into a long one. Dream that the more you struggle, the more you prove the love that you bear your God, and the more you will rejoice one day with your Beloved, in a happiness and rapture that can never end.

CCC 1023 Those who die in God’s grace and friendship and are perfectly purified live for ever with Christ. They are like God for ever, for they “see him as he is,” face to face:

By virtue of our apostolic authority, we define the following: According to the general disposition of God, the souls of all the saints . . . and other faithful who died after receiving Christ’s holy Baptism (provided they were not in need of purification when they died, . . . or, if they then did need or will need some purification, when they have been purified after death, . . .) already before they take up their bodies again and before the general judgment - and this since the Ascension of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ into heaven - have been, are and will be in heaven, in the heavenly Kingdom and celestial paradise with Christ, joined to the company of the holy angels. Since the Passion and death of our Lord Jesus Christ, these souls have seen and do see the divine essence with an intuitive vision, and even face to face, without the mediation of any creature.

CCC 1024 This perfect life with the Most Holy Trinity - this communion of life and love with the Trinity, with the Virgin Mary, the angels and all the blessed - is called “heaven.” Heaven is the ultimate end and fulfillment of the deepest human longings, the state of supreme, definitive happiness.

CCC 1025 To live in heaven is “to be with Christ.” The elect live “in Christ,” but they retain, or rather find, their true identity, their own name.

For life is to be with Christ; where Christ is, there is life, there is the kingdom.

Hope this isn’t too far off topic; but if there is no sadness in heaven why are there often reports of statues of the Blessed Mother “crying”?

Thistle-

Many thanks…I had read those passages previously, and I am satisfied by them.

The reason I asked however is that souls are still being lost for eternity, and the saints must be aware of this. We are saddened by this, and it is difficult to imagine that the saints are not. However, I do understand that the saints also see the justice of it perfectly whereas I do not.

I heard a priest explain it once that there can’t be sadness in heaven, our loved ones, maybe know how things will turn out and can pray for us and sometimes it seems they intercede. Quite a mystery that will remain so until death.

As far as God feeling or Mary crying, I think they appear to us in a way we can understand…if the statue really cried (I’m not giving it a seal of approval) it is a way to show us something in a way we can understand. She wants us to change for the better, we understand a mother’s sadness over her childrens transgressions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.