"Safe" Romantic Comedies and family dramas for a Catholic

I’m a big fun of movies like
-The Devil wears Prada
-Bride Wars
-The Gilmore Girls (Dramedy Series,not a movie)

I like the family movies that feature people gathering around a holiday, wedding or funeral and then all these drama unfolds with comedy, tears,pain and finally,love and resolution.

It’s been a long time since I saw any movie- I really want to see one. Please suggest any movies, Romantic comedies or family dramedies (drama + comedies) that I can get to see.

Thanks! :smiley:

While You Were Sleeping.

:slight_smile:

Romantic comedies: Bride & Prejudice, Nick & Nora’s Infinite Playlist, Roman Holiday, Mamma Mia, Father of the Bride I and II, It’s Complicated,
Dramas: Huge fan of BBC and PBS Masterpiece - Pride & Predjudice with Colin Firth, Downton Abbey seasons 1 and 2, Sherlock Holmes, North & South with Richard Armitage
Family Films - The Family Stone, You Again

Teresadeavila,

Nice selection of TV!!! :slight_smile:

How about Bringing Up Baby or The Philadelphia Story?

One of my favorites is “Sleepless in Seattle”…when Tom Hanks describes his marriage to the radio host…I always tear up…“I was home…but not like any home I’ve ever felt before…it was…magic.”

Bella
Return To Me
The Spitfire Grill
Ninotchka (Garbo speaks!)
Woman of The Year (classic ‘rom-com’)
Bringing Up Baby (classic screwball comedy)

One of my all-time favorite movies (and, yes, that translates into digging the show “2 Broke Girls”), but it’s really not a “safe” film for families. The Bishops Conference gave it an “L” (Problematic Moral Content) for “some sexual content including a brief nongraphic premarital encounter, sexual and scatological humor, brief irreverent humor, one use of the F-word, much crude language, and a few uses of profanity,” and that’s a pretty accurate warning.
Source: catholicnews.com/data/movies/08mv158.htm

Good Family movies: Secondhand Lions, Though sort of a guy’s/ boys movie but I enjoy it too.

SurlyMermaid,

I looked for this movie last evening after reading your post and have just finished seeing it a few minutes ago. I loved it! It was a mix of romantic comedy and family (I love family centred movies so much!!) drama. Plus I totally love Sandra Bullock.

Thanks so much!!! :thumbsup:

Sense and Sensibility,
A great movie overall with absolutely nothing immoral in it.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time,
An anime film, one of the few I have seen. Although it deals with time travel it is also a romance. One of my favorite films. Again there is nothing immoral in it besides a few uses of damn.

I love Somewhere in Time though it does have a sex scene. It isn’t graphic though. It is very brief and no no nudity is shown. Still its the principle of the thing.

You’re so very welcome! I’ve seen it many, many times and still cry at the end. :slight_smile:

Downton Abbey.
It’s not a movie but a dramatic Brittish tv series staged during 1912-1919. Just finished watching it and I’m hooked. Really good stuff; amazing costumes, great storylines, and plenty of romantic tangles without graphic language/sex. Some violence in the second season, but it’s during the war so…

That was the first Sandra Bullock movie I ever watched. I love that movie!

You should definitey check out Return to Me - a close-knit family and friends, a charming Irish-Italian restaurant in Chicago, a trip to Italy, and a sweet courtship of a widower and a waitress.

Other recommendations: Penelope, The Perfect Man, A Walk to Remember (not a comedy, but definitely safe), Sleepless in Seattle, Ratatouille.

Return to Me is another one of my all time favorites! One of my go-to movies when I want a romantic comedy. I love the best friend and all of her husband’s and kids’ antics–although they’d probably drive me crazy in real life!

Selena is a great movie

I’ve always loved My Best Friend’s Wedding…the only part about it that needs mentioning is Julia Robert’s character has a gay best friend but his orientation is not blatant in anyway. Otherwise it’s a great movie and very clean.

THIS X 100. :thumbsup:

Well, when two men kiss pretty graphically towards the end of the 1st episode of the first season. Additionally, I think Mary’s triste with Pamuk was a bit much for tweens. And lastly, in Season 2, when the housemaid is caught in bed with one of the officers…well, again, not exactly graphic, but not info for the young, IMO.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.