Saint Benedict Center(in Still River, Massachusetts)

It is my understanding that Saint Benedict Center in Still River, Massachusetts(www.saintbenedict.com), is in full Communion with Rome, and the local Bishop has even visited there.

However, I am wondering:

Do they accept Baptism of Desire and/or Baptism of Blood?

Thank you!:slight_smile:

[quote=GoLatin]It is my understanding that Saint Benedict Center in Still River, Massachusetts(www.saintbenedict.com), is in full Communion with Rome, and the local Bishop has even visited there.

However, I am wondering:

[/quote]

Maybe it would be better if you ask them rather than asking here.

What, may I ask, is the intent of this post anyways?

[quote=ByzCath]Maybe it would be better if you ask them rather than asking here.

What, may I ask, is the intent of this post anyways?
[/quote]

My intent is to determine whether or not they believe in Baptism of Desire or Baptism of Blood, which were taught by the Council of Trent.

How are they in full communion with Rome and yet still publishing books by an excommunicated priest?

They definitely seem to cling to the false idea that Fr. Feeney was never really excommunicated.

I found it somewhat humorous that the SSPX has an article on their website concluding that Fr. Feeney was indeed excommunicated and that his teaching was inconsistent with the Catholic Church sspx.org/miscellaneous/fr_feeney_catholic_doctrine.htm

From what I can tell, The Saint Benedict Center continues to sell the heretical works of Fr. Feeney…Not exactly the actions of an organization that is in communion with Rome.

[quote=GoLatin]My intent is to determine whether or not they believe in Baptism of Desire or Baptism of Blood, which were taught by the Council of Trent.
[/quote]

Again, why ask us? How are we do know what they believe?

I would suggest, again, that you ask them.

But if they are in communion with the Holy Father then the assumed answer is that they believe all the Church Teaches.

According to the Mater Dei listing of Latin Mass churches, they are indeed in full communion with Rome (the listing only includes approved indult masses). One can only assume that they believe baptism by fire and blood. BUT…the best way would be to simply ask.

Why not post this site instead???

St. Benedict’s Abbey I have been there numerous times…

[quote=ByzCath]Again, why ask us? How are we do know what they believe?

I would suggest, again, that you ask them.

But if they are in communion with the Holy Father then the assumed answer is that they believe all the Church Teaches.
[/quote]

The common sense answer to your question is that there are many knowlegable people on the forums here and someone may have first-hand experience with this group.

This is kinda the purpose of this forum - to discuss the Catholic faith. And it sure seems to me that asking for info on a Catholic group should be met with a better response than just telling the person asking the question to ask someone else.

James

Does anybody have any more insights? I understand that Una Voce has connections to the Still River group. Would Una Voce believe in Baptism of Desire and/or Baptism of Blood?

[quote=James0235]The common sense answer to your question is that there are many knowlegable people on the forums here and someone may have first-hand experience with this group.

This is kinda the purpose of this forum - to discuss the Catholic faith. And it sure seems to me that asking for info on a Catholic group should be met with a better response than just telling the person asking the question to ask someone else.

James
[/quote]

No common sense answer to this as even if someone has first hand knowledge it would still be hearsay. Best and only way to know the truth is to ask them.

While this forum is for the discussion of the Catholic Faith it is not for the discussion of what a person believes.

Again Ask Them.

The only problem with asking them is that most likely they will answer that they are in communion with Rome when, in fact, they may not be. It’s probably best to contact your diocese and find the answer. Although, I’m not sure how “in communion” an organization is when they sell books that contain heresy.

[quote=GoLatin]It is my understanding that Saint Benedict Center in Still River, Massachusetts(www.saintbenedict.com), is in full Communion with Rome, and the local Bishop has even visited there.

However, I am wondering:

[/quote]

By my scanning the website listed, mainly the last link on the left hand side, “The History of Father Leonard Feeney and Saint Benedict Center”. It appears that this is the Saint Benedict Center that is Feeneyites.

It is an abbey, or is it a center?

[quote=otm]It is an abbey, or is it a center?
[/quote]

This is the Abbey St. Benedict’s Abbey

[quote=otm]It is an abbey, or is it a center?
[/quote]

Yes.

According to the Mater Dei listings:
web2.iadfw.net/~carlsch/MaterDei/churches.htm

There are three adresses attached to Still River, MA.
Convent Chapel House of St. Ann’s Convent
Immaculate Heart of Mary Chapel
St. Benedict Abbey

The first two are associated with the St. Benedict Center. As all three are located on the exact same road and zip code, one can guess that they’re associated with each other as well.

Mater Dei only lists approved indults. At the top of the website it states:

**LIMITATION:
This list only contains those churches which have the Latin or Tridentine Mass per the 1962 Missal under Papal Indult with permission of the local Ordinary. **(This listing does not include those Masses by SSPX, SSPV, CMRI, Independent Priests, and Novus Ordo (1970)).

For better or for worse, it APPEARS that the three addresses are in full communion, regardless of publications.

St. Benedict Abbey in Still Water, MA is a Benedictian Abbey (Roman Catholic) and is recognized as a religious community by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Worcester.

St. Benedict Center which is also located in Still Water, MA and is associated with a religious community known as the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary is NOT recognized by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Worcester.

Br. Mark, OSB

[quote=marke]St. Benedict Abbey in Still Water, MA is a Benedictian Abbey (Roman Catholic) and is recognized as a religious community by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Worcester.

St. Benedict Center which is also located in Still Water, MA and is associated with a religious community known as the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary is NOT recognized by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Worcester.

Br. Mark, OSB
[/quote]

Thank you Br Mark.

Same road and zip code mean nothing. All the zip code means is that all addresses with the same zip code are serviced by the same postal station.

My neighbor’s house is on the same street and has the same road as my house yet they are not the same.

To clarify several matters addressed here:

The description of Father Feeney as “an excommunicated priest” suggests otherwise, but when he reposed (in 1978) 6 years had elapsed since he had been reconciled with the Church and the interdicts placed against him had been lifted.

The two facilities cited, Saint Benedict’s Abbey in Still Water and Saint Benedict’s Center in Still Water, are separate, although located adjacent to one another. Both are legitimate spiritual descendents of communities founded by Father Feeney during the period of interdiction. Contrary to Brother Mark’s statement, both are now regularized and in canonical standing with the Church. A search of religious orders functioning in the Diocese of Worcester, at the diocese’s website, will afford links to both communities.

St. Benedict’s Abbey is a Benedictine abbey, as its name suggests.

Saint Benedict’s Center is home to the male and female orders of the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. They remain very conservative in their spiritual thinking but have satisfied the Ordinary that they are no longer beyond the bounds of the Church’s teaching.

A third community, also named St. Benedict’s Center, is sited in Richmond, NH, having separated from the Still River communities several years ago. The religious (male and female) of this center also style themselves “Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary” and continue publication of a periodical titled identically to one published at Still River. They are headed by Brother Fakri (Francis) Maluf, one of Father Feeney’s original group and now himself very advanced in age. Although it commemorates the Pope at Mass and claims to be in full communion with Rome, the NH body is not recognized as regularized by the Diocese of Manchester, in which canonical jurisdiction it is situated. This body holds strictly to the doctrines and ideas put forward by Father Feeney a half-century ago.

The religious of the communities remaining at Still River express fraternal affection for their NH brethren and that is reciprocated from the latter body, but there is no fraternization between the two sites. Notably, because the early communities in Still River were really communal in many respects and included whole families, many of the older members of both bodies have known one another for decades (some for their whole lives) and there are families divided among the various groups.

Two Benedictine communities, St. Mary’s Monastery (men) and St. Scholastica’s Priory (women), are located in Petersham, MA (also in the Diocese of Worcester). Each includes some members whose origins were with the Still River communities. These foundations are in canonical status with the Church and have no direct connection with the Still River bodies or that in Richmond.

I seem to recollect that a group of the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart attempted to open a house in the mid-West a few years ago. If my memory is accurate, these were from the non-canonical body; I haven’t heard anything as to how successful they were.

As a side note of curiousity, Still River is in the town of Harvard, MA, and was one of the original Shaker communities. In fact, at least some of the sites held by the remnant followers of Father Feeney were Shaker properties.

Many years,

Neil

Thank you, Irish Melkite, for bringing a few words of accuracy into this discussion. As you stated, Fr. Feeney was brought back into the fold of the One True Church before he passed away.

Also, I am curious as to the veracity of the remark concerning Una Voce and their supposed “ties” with this group.

As stated before, The group in Massachusettes has been regularized, and is a legitimate group within the Catholic Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.