Saint Benedict Press Bibles

As many of you may know, St. Benedict Press publishes a number of beautiful editions of the Douay-Rheims and Revised Standard versions of the Bible. Likewise, you may have noticed that most of them are not currently available, and frankly, it’s difficult to tell when they’ll be back in stock. Here’s an example of what I mean: books.benedictpress.com/index.php/Revised-Standard-Version-Bible-Black-Premium-UltraSoft-Large-Print ((Maybe someone else has more info on this, but “back in stock soon” has really seemed to imply "back in stock some time before the year is out, maybe if we’re lucky ". :p)

Moreover, since Amazon sellers have a nasty habit of doubling or even tripling the price of any currently out-of-print book they may have on hand, it can seem to be impossible to purchase one of these Bibles at the moment. I’ve found myself rather frustrated at all of this, since good, Catholic editions of Bibles seem so incredibly rare from the get-go. (We Catholics have maybe three or four options for the Douay-Rheims, and one of them, published by Baronius Press, unfortunately has typos that have slipped past their editors. Their Knox Bible is another illustration of this.)

Well, I managed to accidentally find an online bookstore that stocks each of the SBP Bibles, and what’s more, has them available for a reasonable price. The above linked RSV, for example, is forty dollars; and there’s even a little note stating how much of which item they have.

I’m not affiliated with the website in any way, and I just wanted to allow others to have a chance to purchase these Bibles should they desire to. However, I’m not going to link to them in public, since I’m not sure if that’s against forum rules or not.

SO!.. if you’d like to know the name of the website, please send me a PM. Or, if it’s OK for me to link to it–maybe a mod could let me know–then I’d be happy to do so.

Fyi SBP also does a bonded leather ‘First Communion Bible’ in the Douay-Rheims sold in the budget section of Barnes & Noble for $20. I think its a B&N exclusive so isn’t on the website.

Of course, I dont think Id recommend the D-R for a 7-8 year old… But the price is good. :smiley:

Very true! I see that edition of the Douay-Rheims every time I visit B&N. :slight_smile:

Incidentally, the Catholic Bible section of the website I mentioned is here: stevensbook.com/category/20897/page/1. I’m not aware of any other US-based website that claims to have some of these bibles in stock at present.

Unfortunately, there seems to be some weird error with their checkout system at present, but maybe that’ll get sorted out soon enough.

Here you go. christianbook.com/rheims-bible-hardcover-genuine-leather-black/9781905574384/pd/574384?product_redirect=1&Ntt=574384&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP

Sorry wrong publishers but a nice version anyway.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.