Saint Michael - Pagan?

So I have this pagan friend (former Protestant Christian) and be is now convinced that the Catholic church is just built off of Paganism in every way shape or form.

He has now said that Saint Michael is “built off Germanic myths yet again”. How do I combat his argument?

0 Likes

Since he’s the one making the claim, the first thing to do is ask him for his proof

8 Likes

You could ask him to explain " Then war broke out in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back . But he was not strong enough, and they lost their place in heaven. The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him…" (Rev 12::7-9)

3 Likes

Ask him to explain why Michael is traditionally depicted as an ancient Roman soldier.

Or, better yet, why the etymology of his name is based on Hebrew. :wink:

1 Like

You can’t convince him if he’s already made up his mind. Best thing to do is live your life so that Jesus shines out through you and ask the Holy Spirit to make you a good witness

2 Likes

Also, Michael appears in the Book of Daniel (especially Daniel 12:1), and the Book of Jude (1:9).

Given the lack of flying beings or messenger beings in German myths, your friend does not strike me as having a strong argument. Other than Valkyries (who were lesser goddesses, not angelic) and maybe the Wild Hunt (which was a female thing in most parts of Germany), I really do not get any congruence.

2 Likes

Seems really logical to call the angel who protects us against attacks of the devil fake doesn’t it? I bet St. Michael loves to protect people who call him fake

0 Likes

Maybe if he was referred always as Archangel Michael and not just St. Michael (who is this?) even pagans would understand that we are not discussing a human being or a saint but an Archangel.
His depiction is metaphorical, same as his wings to indicate he is not human. If pagans claim they had knowledge of these Divine Angels then how come they did not know their names? Where is Archangel Michael mentioned in pagan religions?
And it’s not about his name being Hebrew but rather that Hebrew follows his name. Which is at it is.

0 Likes

How is an angel that is literally mentioned in the Bible supposed to be based off “Germanic myths”?

1 Like

I don’t know, after all his speech does not contitute an argument.
Probably if you ask for a good explanation about this rubbish claim he won’t be able to defend his argument, or will try to establish a weird comparison between St. Michael and the Valkyries. But please, ask him to explanate more and probably we will be able to help you create a good defense.

0 Likes

Exactly…the Church inherited the cult of St. Michael from Judaism. He’s an important figure in the book of Daniel in the Old Testament.

0 Likes

closed #12

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.