Saint Michael the Archangel Prayer - Casting the devil and evil spririts into Hell?

I always take refuge in this prayer, especially as a sinner. Who is nonetheless tempted everyday. By the tempter, and the world. And of course my own disrupted concupiscent desires as well. And then through my fault (my most grievous.) So do I pray to Saint Michael the Archangel.

But something always perplexed me in this prayer. Why would a loving God, Who came to save souls, would condemn anyone to Hell? Or cast anyone? Does God have mercy of human beings, but not for angels? But Jesus did talk about the goats going to Hell, too. Sometimes I get a broken heart, as a sinner. Who is fallen. The mercy of God seems less. But, in Jesus Mercy and Justice. Do I continue to hope.

Saint Michael (who is like onto God) brought all my fears, doubt, and trembling to a rest. For in his own name, does appear who he is before God. And since angels are pure spirits (knowing God fully.) It is then clear what this Prince of the Heavenly Host was rebuking satan for. Even Jesus rebuked the Saduccee’s and Pharisee’s. I think He said they serve their father, the father of lies. And, He rebuked them and the money changer.

What then was Saint Michael rebuking satan for? Well, it’s in his name: Who is like onto God? Curiously the devil’s own temptation struck Eve, and then Adam, before the fall. The devil wanted something more, to be like God. Or rather, to be God (in His might, His majesty, His dominion.) Thus why the devil’s cry is: non-serviam.

When the devil says to Eve:“You surely will not die. You will become like gods.” He is calling God a liar. He opposes God and His throne. Hence, the devil wants to take over. And hence the Angel, Saint Michael, and that Heavenly Host of 9 Choirs rebuke the fallen one and his angels. Because, they came to over throw God’s throne. And in that skirmish, did the serpent (Nahash/Leviathan) try to overthrow and disrupt God’s dominion over creation: hence the anti-God; the anti-Christ (the one and the same villainous spirit trying to be introduced through Adam’s progeny.): I will put enmity between your seed and her seed. Notice the parallels between Saint Michael’s battle and Eve’s (Adam included.)

The devil is rebuked that there is no one like onto God, the least being the angel of light himself (Lucifer.) And thus, rebuking him that is Hell. For which the devil gets rebuked into it. The angel of light cannot take correction, because he wants to become god. Yet, he cannot. Thanks be to God!

1 Like

There’s a whole lot of rebuking got no on. This one rebukes that one and then that one rebukes this one. It gets to be quite confusing after a while and you just want to stand up and yell “Stop with the rebuking! Enough with the rebuking already!” Everybody seems to like the rebuking.

I suggest you read and ponder this full, original version of the St. Michael Prayer:

"In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.

O glorious Archangel St. Michael, Prince of the heavenly host, defend us in battle, and in the struggle which is ours against the principalities and Powers, against the rulers of this world of darkness, against spirits of evil in high places (Eph 6:12). Come to the aid of men, whom God created immortal, made in his own image and likeness, and redeemed at a great price from the tyranny of the devil (Wisdom 2:23-24, 1 Cor 6:20).

Fight this day the battle of the Lord, together with the holy angels, as already thou hast fought the leader of the proud angels, Lucifer, and his apostate host, who were powerless to resist thee, nor was there a place for them any longer in Heaven. But that cruel, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil or Satan, who seduces the whole world, was cast into the abyss with all his angels (Rev 12:7-9).

Behold, this primeval enemy and slayer of man has taken courage, Transformed into an angel of light, he wanders about with all the multitude of wicked spirits, invading the earth in order to blot out the name of God and of his Christ, to seize upon, slay and cast into eternal perdition souls destined for the crown of eternal glory.

This wicked dragon pours out, as a most impure flood, the venom of his malice on men of depraved mind and corrupt heart, the spirit of lying, of impiety, of blasphemy, and the pestilent breath of impurity, and of every vice and iniquity.

These most crafty enemies have filled and inebriated with gall and bitterness the Church, the spouse of the Immaculate Lamb, and have laid impious hands on her most sacred possessions (Lam 3:15).

In the Holy Place itself, where has been set up the See of the most blessed Peter and the Chair of Truth for the light of the world, they have raised the throne of their abominable impiety, with the iniquitous design that when the Pastor has been struck, the sheep may be scattered.

Arise then, O invincible prince, bring help against the attacks of the lost spirits to the people of God, and bring them the victory.

The Church venerates thee as protector and patron; in thee holy Church glories as her defense against the malicious powers of this world and of hell; to thee has God entrusted the souls of men to be established in heavenly beatitude.

Oh, pray to the God of peace that He may put Satan under our feet, so far conquered that he may no longer be able to hold men in captivity and harm the Church. Offer our prayers in the sight of the Most High, so that they may quickly conciliate the mercies of the Lord; and beating down the dragon, the ancient serpent, who is the devil and Satan, do thou again make him captive in the abyss, that he may no longer seduce the nations. Amen."

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing. I like this prayer. The meatier portion, if you will, of the prayer recited as Mass.

Thank you so much.

Happy Lent!

Without getting too theological in this (since I am no theologian!), Angels are a completely different being to humans. Angels are pure intellect, and their intellect is more sophisticated than ours. When an Angel wills to do something, he becomes aware of everything connected to that action and he immediately sees the consequence of each action, thus meaning he can’t make a mistake and try something else if he gets it wrong. Thus, when Lucifer and his apostate Angels chose to fall, they knew completely the consequence of their choice. They can’t return back from that choice. Unlike humans, who are always making mistakes, usually because we don’t the see the immediate consequence. The only choice we can’t turn away from is the State we die in - the moment you’re dead, that’s it.

Thus, since the demons cannot turn back from their apostasy, they must be eternally punished, hence why Hell exists. Sadly, the eternal choice of evil men means they too must end up there, even if the thought is repugnant to us.

St. Michael is a powerful aid for us, and I try to pray to him daily.

God bless!

i’ve never read that version of the prayer before…

thank you for posting it…

That’s the original unabridged version.

It’s actually a prayer of exorcism.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.