Saint Nicholas Day celebrations

Tomorrow is St. Nicholas Day, and I wondered if anyone here has any family traditions or suggestions for celebrating this saint’s day?

My wife and I will be decorating our tree tomorrow night, as well as opening “stocking stuffer” gifts left by our fireplace mantel.

As a side not, we discussed starting this tradition last year, when we really thought we would have a little one in the family by now. Sadly, God had other plans for our children:angel1: . While it will be sad not having that little stocking on the fireplace to fill:crying: , we will be celebrating our decision to adopt.:smiley:

We have the children put their boots out on the porch tonight and St. Nick leaves something small. This year the gift is a bit larger in thought, but well thought out. We are giving each of our children a DVD pertaining to the birth of Christ. This will allow them to watch it before Christmas Day and share it as a family event!

Clskier----God bless you in your decision to adopt. Our children are adopted and are truly a wonderful gift from God!!!

On St. Nicholas Day, I hang up the stockings, put the wreath on the door, and we turn on the Christmas lights on the house (which, other than the tree which goes up on Christmas Eve, is about the extent of my holiday decorating!). I also bake the same cake every year - a kind of light and lemony bundt cake with a lemon glaze - as our “St. Nicholas Cake”.

Our kids (they are college age now and still do this) put out their stockings and magically, St.Nick fills them with goodies…and they still look forward to it. And so do we.

Well, I’m going to Mass, which I do most weekdays anyways. And having some of my seasonal fruitcake in his honour. That’s about the extent of it - no children in the household to worry about.

I was wondering…if St Nicholas delivers his gifts now …who comes on Christmas Eve?

Guess he makes a return visit, eh?? Or maybe it’s the Three Kings?

the Dutch side of DH’s family, which is where our own personal St. Nicholas customs come from, do not exchange gifts on Christmas eve or day, and view Santa Claus as a purely American cultural abberation. The French on that side have Pere Noel, who does bring small things at Christmas like chocolates, nuts or fruits (I do love the French) but the actual gifts are brought by the 3 Kings on their day. If we really push it we can have a gift buying and giving orgy for a month.

The kids left their best shoes outside their bedroom door and St Nicholas filled them with candy.

I’m not married, but I bought little gifts for my three nieces and two nephews. (mini ornaments, puzzles, a little thomas the tank engine friend train (Really cute - with a santa hat)).

My parents did the tradition with leaving the shoe out the night of the 5th (Saint Nicholas Eve) and then when I would get up, there would be some candy - hershey’s minatures or something similar in my shoe. My list to Santa would also be mysteriously gone from its place under the tree skirt.

We did not do St. Nicholas when I was growing up, but it is something I grew to love while attending Franciscan University where we would put our shoes outside our door on the night of the 5th and some “helpers” (our RAs) would fill them with chocolates during the night. They also have a huge toy and clothing drive and an all-campus Mass to celebrate the feast.

We are still trying to figure out what traditions we want for the day. Hubby is a convert so it’s a learning experience for both of us. Last year we had our son put out his shoes the night before and we filled them with chocolates and small gifts (a box of crayons and a small toy, I believe). This year we decided to do things a bit different. My son is 2 1/2 now, so he’s been helping me make St. Nicholas Day breads, cookies, and soup all day. Tonight we are inviting my in-laws over for dinner. After dinner we will put our shoes out and then go to Mass. I think St. Nick will visit while we are at Mass. :slight_smile:

I am so excited. I get way more excited for St. Nicholas Day than I did for the whole “Santa” part of Christmas. We don’t do Santa in our house now. I would love to wait to give our gifts to our kids until Epiphany, but that will take some more convincing for DH, I think.

New for this year, our children put their shoes under the chimney, and St Nicholas threw down a bag a chocolate coins, which just so happened to land in the shoes.

Our son turned 2 yesterday (St. Nicholas Eve) and has been *completely *inundated with gifts :slight_smile: When he gets older (maybe starting next year), we do want to give him and any other kids of ours a little gift though. Probably something edible or religious.

But this year I ordered air freshners from EWTN with a picture of Our Lady of Grace and the Hail Mary. So I gave them as a surprise to my husband to hang in our cars :smiley: And we’re foregoing our usual Wednesday fast (me fasting from chocolate, him only eating bread and water for lunch). This evening we’ll go to the Communion Service together.

In some countries where St Nicholas is traditional, it is the Christ Child who delivers the gifts of Christmas eve. In other countries, gifts are not received on Christmas. It is instead a night/day devoted to church and a celebration of Christ’s birth.

And then in other countries that don’t celebrate St Nicholas, especially Latin American countries, gifts are given on Epiphany (by the Wise Men) instead of Christmas.

Somehow in our house we’ve managed to incorporate all these feasts! :smiley:

The good saint has been busy in the Diocese of Rockford area, in the southeastern end.

Last night, he left candy canes, money (to remember his generosity), and chocolates in the shoes of the young ladies who live here. He also left Grandpa a bag of coal (rock candy colored with licorice).

He was caught in the halls of a certain school stuffing candy in the shoes of children who left them outside the classroom. He was stopped by a staff member who wanted to know why he had not signed in at the front desk, as the staff member did not recognize him at first. The candy sacks quickly flew into the shoes as the good saint made his way down the hall and out the back door, where his trusty steed and man-servant were waiting for him.

He was last seen by the preschool galloping away on his white horse, down the street and around the corner, with Necht Rupert seated behind him. Really. Honest. You could see the back end of the horse if you looked hard enough through the blinds in the classroom. The kindergarten found incriminating hoof and foot prints in the snow at the back door. Really. They looked through the wired safety glass. There were the big prints of St. Nicholas, and the little prints of Necht Rupert, and the hoof prints, in the snow. Really.

Even the 8th graders, who have not been very good all of this year, found candy in their shoes.

Bump

My dh and ds are Nicholas and we celebrate their saint’s name day like we do for the other kids by doing something special. We went out for ice cream (even though it’s freeeeezing here) and then drove around looking at the beautiful Christmas lights. There was one house that was really amazing with lights that corresponded to the music on a radio station. We also bought ds some chocolate. He’s 4 and asked his brothers, “When is your St. Nicholas day”, lol!

With a December birthday for another one of my ds and Christmas coming up soon things are too crazy to commit to have St. Nicholas himself come so this works for us.

my dad used to get a bucket of licorice “coal” every year, it came with a little red pick and shovel. kind of your joke on him, turning the disciplinary machinery backward

I put up pictures of our St. Nicholas Day here: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=123298

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.