Saint of the day and Feast days-Part 3

Our Lady’s purity was not snow but fire. It was the kindling purity of white heat, and not the chilling purity of white cold.
Father Vincent McNabb

Immaculate Mary, pray for us.

On this, The Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of Mary:

AVE MARIA, gratia plena, Dominus tecum.
Benedicta tu in mulieribus,
et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus.
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae.
Amen.

[ATTACH]12376[/ATTACH]

December 9
Today we Remember the
Martyrs of Samosata
Among many other Saints

Martyrs of Samosata
In the year 297 in Samosata, somewhere in present day Turkey, seven Christians were martyred by Emperor Maximian for their refusal to perform a pagan rite to celebrate the Emperor’s victory over the Persians.
The martyrs were local magistrates Hipparchus and Philotheus and their converts: James, Paragnus, Abibus, Romanus, and Lollianus.
They were all crucified.
They were canonized by acclamation
Martyrs of Samosata,
Pray for us!

Saints Hipparchus, Philotheus, James, Paragnus, Abibus, Romanus, and Lollianus,
Pray for us!

December 10
Today is the Memorial of
Saint Eulalia of Merida
Among many other Saints

Saint Eulalia of Merida
Martyr.

Eulalia was born in 290 in Spain. According to Dictionary of Saints by John J. Delaney, though a Saint by this name did live and suffer martyrdom in Merida Spain, what is known about her is legendary. According to the legend, she was a twelve year old Spanish girl who, despite her mother’s attempts to prevent her from doing so, denounced Judge Dacian for attempting to make Christians apostacize. She was tortured and put to death when she refused to sacrifice to the gods.
The year was 304.
Saint Augustine reportedly praised her martyrdom and Saint Prudentius also reportedly wrote a hymn in her honor.
Saint Eulalia of Merida,
Pray for us!

December 11
Today, let us Remember
Saint Daniel the Stylite
Among many other Saints

When I first read about this saint, I could not understand what they were talking about, still don’t. It was the very, very first time I came across saints who lived thus. What of eating, sleeping, bathing, the call of nature; so many questions come to mind. How did they cope standing and praying constantly for years in a stylo with only standing room?

Saint Daniel the Stylite
Daniel was born in 409 at Maratha, near Samosata, which is present day Samsat, a small town in Turkey. At the age of twelve, he joined a nearby monastery and became a monk there.
On an occasion, he accompanied his abbot on a trip to Antioch. On the way, they stopped to see Saint Simeon the Elder on his pillar. If I may digress here for the benefit of anyone who may be wondering, as I did, “what is all this about stylites and pillars”? According to Catholic Encyclopedia “Stylites were solitaries who, taking up their abode upon the tops of a pillar (stylos), chose to spend their days amid the restraints thus entailed and in the exercise of other forms of asceticism.” In other words, these were monks who spent their ascetic lives in pillars!
It appears that the first ever stylite was this Simeon the Elder.
Back at their monastery, when the abbot died, the other monks requested Daniel to be their abbot but he refused. He made a pilgrimage to the Holy land and lived for nine years as a hermit at Philemora,( Philempora) near Constantinople. He then decided to follow in the footsteps of Simeon and live on a pillar. He spent the next thirty three years, the age of Our Lord, on a series of pillars built near Constantinople and was ordained on one of them when he refused to come down for his ordination.
Daniel reportedly prophesied a disastrous fire in Constantinople in 465. He became famed for his holiness and healing miracles and attracted huge crowds with the sermons delivered from the top of his pillar. He counseled people from all walks of life. Daniel came down from the pillar only once to denounce Emperor Basilicus for a crime he had committed.
Daniel died on his pillar that was erected near Constantinople and he was buried at its foot.
He was canonized Pre-Congregationally.
Saint Daniel the Stylite,
Pray for us!

Yea, it’s hard to understand

Maybe not as aggressive as St. Daniel, but here is a monk of the Orthodox Church in Georgia who is trying to become a Stylite: thestylite.com/

This is cool and understandable

I pray that Father Maxim realises his dream. Thank you CatholicFireman for sharing this with us. The building of the stylite has already taken shape, I would really love to see it come to pass. What a world this would be were we all to have such faith!

December 12
Today we remember
Saint Epimachus,
Among many other Saints

Saint Epimachus
Martyr of Alexandria.
Epimachus was a native of Alexandria, Egypt. He, with Alexander, was imprisoned, then tortured and burned to death for the Faith at Alexandria during the reign of Emperor Trajanus Decius ( r 249-251). Four women suffered the same martyrdom with Epimachus. They were: Ammonaria, Mercuria, reportedly aged, Dionisia, a mother and a fourth unknown woman, possibly also named Ammonaria.
They were all martyred in.250 in Alexandria, Egypt
Saint Epimachus,
Pray for us.

And just so we do not forget, today is also the
Memorial of Our Lady of Guadalupe
Last year Shin posted a wonderful sermon given by a priest. I particularly loved these words attributed to Our Lady to Saint Juan Diego.

“Do not be troubled or weighted down with grief.
Do not fear any illness or anxiety.
am I not here?
I am your mother.
Are you not under my protection?
Do I not hold you in the folds of my mantle?
Is there anything else you need?”

Here is the sermon as posted last year by Shin.

Our Lady of Guadalupe is truly a beautiful Feast Day. I never had the privilege of visiting the Basilica but since my childhood its a day I’ve long remembered along with Our Lady of Fatima and Our Lady of Lourdes which are the ones I most remember.

The story of Juan Diego is very inspiring. **“Our Lady of Guadalupe” goes back to the 16th century. The short summary of the story goes as follows.

A poor Indian named Cuauhtlatohuac was baptized and given the name Juan Diego. He was a 57-year-old widower and lived in a small village near Mexico City. On Saturday morning, December 9, 1531, he was on his way to a nearby barrio to attend Mass in honor of Our Lady.

He was walking by a hill called Tepeyac when he heard beautiful music like the warbling of birds. A radiant cloud appeared and within it a young Native American maiden dressed like an Aztec princess. The lady spoke to him in his own language and sent him to the bishop of Mexico, a Franciscan named Juan de Zumarraga. The bishop was to build a chapel in the place where the lady appeared.

In the words of Our Lady to Juan Diego the visionary: ("I wish that a temple be erected here quickly, so I may therein exhibit and give all my love, compassion, help, and protection. Because I am your merciful mother, to you, and to all the inhabitants on this land and all the rest who love me, invoke and confide in me; to listen there to their lamentations, and remedy all their miseries, afflictions and sorrows.

And to accomplish what my clemency pretends, go to the palace of the bishop of Mexico, and you will say to him that I manifest my great desire, that here on this plain a temple be built to me.")

Eventually the bishop told Juan Diego to have the lady give him a sign. About this same time Juan Diego’s uncle became seriously ill. This led poor Diego to try to avoid the lady. The lady found Diego, nevertheless, assured him that his uncle would recover and provided roses for Juan to carry to the bishop in his cape or tilma.

When Juan Diego opened his tilma in the bishop’s presence, the roses fell to the ground and the bishop sank to his knees. On Juan Diego’s tilma appeared an image of Mary exactly as she had appeared at the hill of Tepeyac. It was December 12, 1531.**

When I first read the story many years ago I cried. They weren’t tears of sadness.
I’m sure it must have been astonishing to the Bishop when he saw the bouquet of fresh one of a kind roses out of season and even more amazing the Blessed image of Mary on the inside of Juan Diego’s cloak “tilma”. Beautiful Feast Day.

youtube.com/watch?v=sCnSEyoqthM&feature=player_embedded#!

Peace
Chris

So your strength is failing you? Why don’t you tell your mother about it? . . . Mother! Call her with a loud voice. She is listening to you; she sees you in danger, perhaps, and she-your holy mother Mary-offers you, along with the grace of her son, the refuge of her arms, the tenderness of her embrace . . . and you will find yourself with added strength for the new battle.
St. Josemaria Escriva

Thank You Chris for the summary of the apparition of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
Yes, it is inspiring.
It seems you are blessed with the “gift of tears”?
I learnt about the gift of tears here on the Forum. I did not know there was such a gift. :slight_smile:
Our Lady of Guadalupe,
Pray for us!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.