Saint question

Seems like a stupid question, I suppose a lot (most?) people struggle with this, but does anyone know of any Saint(s) who struggled with waking up (early)? (links?) I'm trying to improve this area of my life, but it seems that some (many) mornings I'm so out of it that "offer it up" doesn't even come to mind.

Thank you for any input you have to offer.

Do you mean struggling with NOT being able to wake up early?

One reason that St. Benedict had a gathering Psalm at the beginning of Matins and Lauds was that sometimes brethren would have dozed off or not awakened in time. These Psalms were appended to the beginning of these early morning offices so that sleepy heads would not be ;penanced for being late.

My favorite inspirational quote along these lines is from Saint Josemaria Escriva (20th century Spanish priest, founder of Opus Dei, canonized in 2002). This is from his little booklet The Way:

206 The heroic minute. It is the time fixed for getting up. Without hesitation: a supernatural reflection and … up! The heroic minute: here you have a mortification that strengthens your will and does no harm to your body.

Essentially, he sees the moment you should wake up (for me, the moment the alarm clock rings) as an opportunity for mortification (dying to self) that, if you take advantage of it, is pleasing to God and helps you grow in holiness.

My former pastor, who was devoted to the writings of Saint Josemaria, told us that what we need to do is to get up as soon as the alarm clock rings (NO snooze button!), get on our knees at the side of the bed, and say our morning prayers.

I'm glad you brought this up. I have to start living the "heroic minute" again. It was wonderful while I did it, but I have been "backsliding." Let's start tomorrow; all readers of this thread can report back how it works (accountability!).

In my case, badly:o I need to get up at 10 AM, but being retired has made me…um…less ambitious. I thanks those who have responded in this thread, and will try to be more motivated tomorrow.

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.