Saint Valentine's Day

St Valentine

Celebrated on February 14th

wo early Christian martyrs called Valentine are listed on this day in the Roman Martyrology. One was a Roman priest, who died for his faith on the Flaminian Way under Claudius. The other was a bishop of Terni who was killed in Rome. Some historians believe they are the same person.

There is no evidence to link the tradition of sending Valentine cards with the saint - but according to legend, St Valentine sent a farewell message to his jailer’s daughter the day before he was executed, signed ‘from your Valentine’. Some believe the custom grew out of an ancient idea that birds are supposed to begin their courtship on this day. Others point to the fact that the old Roman Lupercalia festival (in honour of the god of fertility, Lupercus) was held around the middle of February.

The idea of sending cards and love letters on February 14 is at least as old as Chaucer and was mentioned in the 15th century Paston family letters. There are no churches in England dedicated to St Valentine but churches in Ireland and Scotland have links with the saint.

In 1836, some relics that were exhumed from the catacombs of Saint Hippolytus on the Via Tiburtina, then near Rome, were identified with Saint Valentine. These relics were placed in a casket, donated by Pope Gregory XVI, and transported to the Whitefriar Street Carmelite Church in Dublin. The parish has special St Valentine’s Masses and a blessing of rings ceremony.

The Franciscan church of Blessed John Duns Scotus in Glasgow is also said to have relics of St Valentine.

Valentine is the patron of engaged couples, happy marriages, beekeepers, epilepsy, fainting, greetings, love, lovers, plague, travellers, young people. He is represented in pictures with birds and roses.
(from ICN)

http://www.carmelites.ie/stvalentine.html

12 Likes

I thought today was the feast of Saints Cyril and Methodius, Valentine having been removed from the Roman Calendar in 1969 or so.

2 Likes

In the current Roman calendar that is true, but our friend @Rob2 each day posts the various saints that have been commemorated over the years, even if those commemorations are no longer current.

-Fr ACEGC

10 Likes

The joke is the other two guys in the comic are Cyril and Methodious :rofl:

4 Likes

St. Valentine, pray for us! :two_hearts:

5 Likes

Happy Valentines Day to all! :heart: :pray: :slightly_smiling_face:

St. Valentine’s Church in Bethel Park, Pa., near Pittsburgh, is having a Mass in the Extraordinary Form this evening at 7, to celebrate their patronal feast day. My understanding is that you go by the old calendar when you celebrate the EF. So I wonder if that is currently the only licit way to have a Mass for today as St. Valentine’s Day.

1 Like

Strangely, only one parish here is having a Mass for this evening.

Ended up buying my wife a mink coat and taking her out for a nice dinner this evening. Hopefully we can end the evening by listening to some more Catholic podcasts.

Happy Sts Cyril and Methodius day.

I just got through eating a Valentines Day chocolate chip cookie…delicious!

In addition to what Father said, EF parishes still follow the 1962 calendar of St. Pope John XXIII.

1 Like

It probably is, because the feast of Sts. Cyril and Methodius is a memorial and would supersede any optional memorial of St. Valentine.

1 Like

My wife and I had our first date 32 years ago.

Tonight we’re celebrating by going to a women’s college basketball game.

Tickets are $5 each for us old folks.

2 Likes

It’s not technically the ONLY way, but it is the only way for most.

According the documents from 1969, supposedly the Feast of St Valentine wasn’t “removed” but rather regulated to particular calendars.

Now, I don’t know which (if any) dioceses and/or Religious Orders celebrate St Valentine’s Day instead of Sts Cyril & Methodius? Perhaps they meant only parishes/chapels/dioceses where St Valentine in the patron?

Anyway, I believe a parish/church named St Valentine would be eligible to celebrate a Solemnity of St Valentine. Since solemnities our rank memorials, a parish named St Valentine should be able to celebrate it in the Ordinary Form.

However, (unless I’m mistaken) there’s no mass for it, so the priest would have to use the Commons in the Ordinary Form.

However, if the priest is open to the Extraordinary Form, it gives him a great “excuse” to celebrate it in the Extraordinary Form.

God Bless

2 Likes

@tad , I trust you and your beloved had a romantic evening watching the basketball game . :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.