Sainthood...

A protestant told me that in the bible it states that all christians are saints, that that this catholic church business of saints is unbiblical and wrong, how do I rebutt this?

[quote=Valtiel]A protestant told me that in the bible it states that all christians are saints, that that this catholic church business of saints is unbiblical and wrong, how do I rebutt this?
[/quote]

Ask him where in scripture does it say that believing Christians stop being saints when they die.

To hold his perspective is unbiblical and incorrect.

Peace in Christ…Salmon

The word ‘saint’ comes from a root meaning “holy”. So when someone is referred to in Scripture as a saint, whether living or dead, it is generally understood to mean a holy one of God.

The Church recognizes, however, that a person’s holiness does not end in death, but is in fact perfected. Those whom the Church determines are in Heaven, through evidence of their intercession in the form of miracles, are given the title of Saint. They have finished the race, as Paul would put it, and received salvation. There is nothing unbiblical about it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.