Saints and Angels Intercession and Patronage

Perfect. Nice prayer. You should compose more.

Yes.

A. Through them, in the sense of their intercession.

James 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. 17 Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. 18 And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit.

B. Through them, literally, in the sense of through their relics.

2 Kings 13:21 And it came to pass, as they were burying a man, that, behold, they spied a band of men; and they cast the man into the sepulchre of Elisha: and when the man was let down, and touched the bones of Elisha, he revived, and stood up on his feet.

Acts 19:12 So that from his body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them.

So saints play a vital role in the Catholic religion. What about angels? Are they addressed in the same fashion, or do they have personal power too? For example, I’ve heard people pray to Saint Michael for rescue from evil, and when they do, they ask him specifically to do away with the hostility.

Angels are Saints. You mentioned, Saint Michael.

Yes, but Michael was an angel in heaven’s army presumably before man was even created, before we had any concept of saints.

The St. Hubertus one looks very nice to me.

The beings in Heaven are all saints. Angels are in heaven, therefore Angels are Saints and can be addressed in the same way as saints.

St. Michael is an Archangel specially tasked by God with fighting the devil. Therefore, since God already has him doing this, we call on St. Michael to protect us and fight the devil on our behalf, making sure to specify that Michael is doing this “by the power of God”.

Angels and saints’ power all comes from God. They do everything they do by the power of God.

Thank you. Is there a specific way I should place my hands when I address saints and angels, or does the traditional prayer formation fine?

Hmm, it seems like now you are being a bit silly. I hope if you were not seriously seeking information, it might help someone else who is having these same questions.

God bless

I’m sincerely asking. Catholicism is an orthopraxic religion, isn’t it? So therefore they are concerned with how to correctly practice the religion.

Perhaps I was being a little too over-the-top or picky.

Jesus Christ is in charge of the Office of the Angels. Everyone has a Holy Guardian Angel and other Angels help us. Angels are unique, but communicate intuitively in the Will of God.

The Saints are in the Church Triumphant and aren’t unique species as Angels are, simply because we are of a species. Saints do choose us. I feel we also choose Saints.

For example St. Catherine of Sienna and St. Benedict of Nursia chose me :slight_smile:

I feel the Saints that chose me are in my daily life. The ones I chose are in my life, but more closer at some times than others.

To God be the Power and the Glory.

@cmjmevans , how do you tell the difference between when a saint chooses you, and when you choose the saint?

St. Catherine of Sienna was a religious experience during a Catechism Class. Our teacher gifted a peace necklace to me because of it.

I became a lay Oblate of St. Benedict after our Oblate Director talk to me.

Thanks for asking. You don’t really need the play by play to get to heaven lol :wink:

Basically I feel because the Church approves name Saints and wouldn’t if it wasn’t supposed to be.

Not at all. The Latin Mass, now known as the Extraordinary Form, has very specific guidelines about gestures, postures and movements. But for personal private prayer we have a lot more freedom.

At least for the priest and servers. :slightly_smiling_face:

Why do you think that makes a difference?

Not to the point of legalism. There are people who demand that one must kneel to pray. But that is just their neuroticism. In Catholicism, you can pray from any position.

However, there are some physical actions which are considered prayers in themselves. The Sign of the Cross and beating one’s breast three times (don’t hurt yourself). The Mass includes many positions which one must adopt while participating, but they are only required of those who are able.

At the end of my emails, I usually put “by the blessings of St. Gabriel, I thank you,” since he’s the Patron of Messengers. Is this appropriate?

II. THE COMMUNION OF THE CHURCH OF HEAVEN AND EARTH

954 The three states of the Church. “When the Lord comes in glory, and all his angels with him, death will be no more and all things will be subject to him. But at the present time some of his disciples are pilgrims on earth. Others have died and are being purified, while still others are in glory, contemplating 'in full light, God himself triune and one, exactly as he is”’:492

All of us, however, in varying degrees and in different ways share in the same charity towards God and our neighbors, and we all sing the one hymn of glory to our God. All, indeed, who are of Christ and who have his Spirit form one Church and in Christ cleave together.493
955 "So it is that the union of the wayfarers with the brethren who sleep in the peace of Christ is in no way interrupted, but on the contrary, according to the constant faith of the Church, this union is reinforced by an exchange of spiritual goods."494

956 The intercession of the saints. "Being more closely united to Christ, those who dwell in heaven fix the whole Church more firmly in holiness. . . . They do not cease to intercede with the Father for us, as they proffer the merits which they acquired on earth through the one mediator between God and men, Christ Jesus . . . . So by their fraternal concern is our weakness greatly helped."495

Do not weep, for I shall be more useful to you after my death and I shall help you then more effectively than during my life.496
I want to spend my heaven in doing good on earth.497

957 Communion with the saints. "It is not merely by the title of example that we cherish the memory of those in heaven; we seek, rather, that by this devotion to the exercise of fraternal charity the union of the whole Church in the Spirit may be strengthened. Exactly as Christian communion among our fellow pilgrims brings us closer to Christ, so our communion with the saints joins us to Christ, from whom as from its fountain and head issues all grace, and the life of the People of God itself"498:

We worship Christ as God’s Son; we love the martyrs as the Lord’s disciples and imitators, and rightly so because of their matchless devotion towards their king and master. May we also be their companions and fellow disciples!499

Yes.

If you want it to be more perfect, you could say, “by the blessings of God, through St. Gabriel.” But it’s ok as is.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.