Saints and mom and grandma appearing to me

I am wondering about prayers for the dead. Iam a protestant and Iam wondering if I have enough faith for the saints to appear from heaven and actually talk to me? I would like my mom and my grandma when they die. I want to know if afaid of anything that they can appear to me and console me. Do the saints have to be canonized before they can appear to me? Moses and Elijah appeared to Jesus during the Transfiguration.

Prayers of the dead is not the same as trying to summon the spirits of the dead or trying to engage them in conversation which God strictly forbids.

Saint Ignatius and the Saint Nektarios of Greek have both appeared to people after their death,why can’t my mom or grandma do the same to me? but I just have to have faith.

I believe the protestants have lost that connection.

Do not seek after visions, for that is how Satan gets into hearts.

God dose as He pleases. If He wants you to have visions, He will. Holiness is not a prerequisite for Divine Favors. God gives visions to some to lead them one way, and He leads others by other ways.

It is not a matter of your faith, or lack thereof. God may permit the saints to visit us if it is in accordance with His plan. Just because you believe hard enough and want a visit, that doesn’t mean it is what you really need.

Being canonized doesn’t make them saints, that is just the Church’s way of saying “these people made it”. Anyone in heaven is a saint, and if God willed it anyone of them could visit you. On the other hand, it may be better for your salvation to see into hell. Best to not try God, if He wants you to receive a visitation, so be it.

BTW Just becuse you don’t see them, doesn’t mean that they can’t see/hear you. The Church encourages us to ask the saints (those in heaven) to pray for us.

Pray for your parents and ancestors souls. :slight_smile: God will take care of the rest. Be at peace whatever God wills.

What did PHJJB mean when he said " On the other hand, it may be better for your salvation to see into hell."? You mean the saints can see and hear what Iam doing? do they know what Iam doing right now or any moment in time? Since Iam protestant,the saint are still pleading to God on my behalf? God Bless you! I will pray to saints and God on my behalf. The holy spirit just came to me and gave me a warm feeling. Just when I wondering if saints can pray on my behalf,God reassured me through the holy spirit that INDEED I can pray to the saints. Guardian angels watch over me,the saints pray for me on behalf of God.

Yes on all three questions :slight_smile:

I firmly believe my longtime patron saint (now my confirmation saint as well) has been praying for me these past seven years. And I really feel that he prayed me into the Catholic Church. But I believe he would always have been my spiritual friend in heaven even if I had chosen not to become a Catholic. However, since most of those seven years I have been a Protestant (albeit high-church Anglican), I know that this saint had no problem taking a non-Catholic as his “client.”

On the other hand, my friendship with this saint led me to an understanding of the communion of saints that would not be reconciled by any religion or faith except the Catholic Church. So largely because of that, here I am. :slight_smile:

The Communion of Saints is a wonderful thing. :slight_smile:

Many folks have had relatives visit them after death, but it is not our call or upon our request that they may or may not appear. Clearly in the Bible it is forbidden for us to call or conjure the spirits of the dead.

They can however pray for us and we can certainly pray for them. No one knows if the dead can see or hear everything we say. We believe that they can hear our prayers, and we believe that they can ask God for help for us.

The problem with seeing or hearing spirits is, they may also be demons or Satan in disguise. Satan has even been known to appear like Christ, but the feeling and message is never peaceful or loving like Christ.

Saint Ignatius and the Saint Nektarios of Greek have both appeared to people after their death,why can’t my mom or grandma do the same to me? but I just have to have faith.

The departed–whether saints, the faithful, or even those in hell–appear to the living ONLY when God wills it, not because someone living wants it.

To WANT any of the departed to appear to you is nothing any different from seeking to summon them or engage them in conversation, which you admit is forbidden.

Don’t go seeking a vision. If it’s God will that you will have one, He will make it happen. Visions don’t happen necessarly because of faith. They happen because God wants to give you a message.

-Jeanne

[quote="lovelylife22, post:1, topic:156709"]
I am wondering about prayers for the dead. Iam a protestant and Iam wondering if I have enough faith for the saints to appear from heaven and actually talk to me? I would like my mom and my grandma when they die. I want to know if afaid of anything that they can appear to me and console me. Do the saints have to be canonized before they can appear to me? Moses and Elijah appeared to Jesus during the Transfiguration.

Prayers of the dead is not the same as trying to summon the spirits of the dead or trying to engage them in conversation which God strictly forbids.

Saint Ignatius and the Saint Nektarios of Greek have both appeared to people after their death,why can't my mom or grandma do the same to me? but I just have to have faith.

I believe the protestants have lost that connection.

[/quote]

theres plenty of stories of the holy souls in purgatory appearing to people asking for prayers, masses etc to help them be relieved and released from purgatory...the holy souls in purgatory are regular people who are saved but who are being cleansed before entering heaven

[quote="lovelylife22, post:5, topic:156709"]
What did PHJJB mean when he said " On the other hand, it may be better for your salvation to see into hell."? You mean the saints can see and hear what Iam doing? do they know what Iam doing right now or any moment in time? Since Iam protestant,the saint are still pleading to God on my behalf? God Bless you! I will pray to saints and God on my behalf. The holy spirit just came to me and gave me a warm feeling. Just when I wondering if saints can pray on my behalf,God reassured me through the holy spirit that INDEED I can pray to the saints. Guardian angels watch over me,the saints pray for me on behalf of God.

[/quote]

Just my take....do not wish for them to appear to you...it is as per God's will. Satan may deceive you and lead you astray. It would be better to offer prayers for them.

Matthew 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither(A) marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

So as the verse states, those in heaven get the qualities of angels...so yes, then can see and hear just like angels.

If you want to know further, read Rev chapter 4 to 8 or 9, where the account of the elders praying to God, saints and angels bring our prayers to God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.