saints & devil

Why saints, who followed God’s commandments closely, still had distraction from the devil?

example, St. Jean-Marie Vianney who was vigorously tormented by the devil. Didn’t God protect them from the devil?
Btw, any other saints who experienced it?

I am just curious to know, no intention to cause conflict here.
~peace:)

St Catherine of Siena was one I know, as was St Gemma Galgani and St Margaret of Cortona. Can’t think of any others offhand.

Hi Vince,
Saints, as do all human beings, experience hardships and temptations; some more so than others. The defining moment is what we each do in that moment of trial and temptation. The Father didn’t protect Christ from being ridiculed, beaten, or crucified at the hands of His creations. It is said that God will not allow a person to be tempted or experience more than he/she can handle. But it is nice to know that when we do fail that God has provided us a way to be forgiven… Confession.

Well, the Father didn’t even prevent Christ from being tempted by the devil either - remember the episode in the wilderness?

God never ever permits us to be tempted more than we can truly handle - especially if we call on His help when tempted.

Amen :thumbsup:

Hello,

Thought I would share one of my favourite tidbits from my beloved Chesterton which while directed primarily at the question of suffering concludes with a profound and relevant statement (emphasis mine). Enjoy!

The Battle
The true secret and hope of human life is something much more dark and beautiful than it would be if suffering were a mark of sin. A mere scheme of rewards and punishments would be something much meaner and more mechanical than this exasperating and inspiring life of ours. An automatic scheme of ‘Karma’ or ‘reaping what we sow’ would be just as gross and material as sowing beans or reaping barley. It might satisfy mechanicians or monists or theosophists or cautious financiers, but not brave men. It is no paradox to say that the one thing that would make suffering intolerable would be the thought that it was systematically inflicted upon sinners. The one thing that would make our agony infamous would be the idea that it was deserved. On the other hand, the doctrine which makes it most endurable is exactly the opposite doctrine, that life is a battle in which the best put their bodies in the front, in which God sends only his holiest into the hail of the arrows of hell. In the book of Job is foreshadowed that better doctrine, full of a dark chivalry, that he that bore the worst that man can suffer was the best that bore the form of man.

G. K. Chesterton
The Speaker,
September 9th, I905

God Bless,

Donald

Thanks! Actually, you answered the hidden question that I asked. :slight_smile:

Good Sunday vince2paul,

Why saints, who followed God’s commandments closely, still had distraction from the devil? Eample, St. Jean-Marie Vianney who was vigorously tormented by the devil. Didn’t God protect them from the devil?

Do you considered that Saints are those who are tormenting the devil? :slight_smile:

Btw, any other saints who experienced it?

Yes, the Apostle Paul (2Co 12:7).
God gives the grace to support all devilish attacks.
Saints are not alone.

**Many Saints have been tested or tempted by Satan. Padre Pio. or St. Pio is a modern day Saint very famous for stigmata (all 5 wounds of Christ and having many attacks from the devil…)

God only gives one what they can handle, and he does not let Satan enter into the Saints or Holy People.only test or tempt them as Christ himself was tested and tempted for 40 days.

Jan**

Exellent! Lily,

This was the first thing that poped into my mind also.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.