Saints every catholic should know

We are revising our religion curriculum, k - 8, for a Catholic school, and we have brainstormed a list of saints that every Catholic should know about. I wanted to start a discussion on this here to get a second opinion to cross-reference our list. Any thoughts? Who should kids definitely have studied by the time they leave 8th grade?

St. Joseph and St. Francis - my favorites. :slight_smile:

Standard Knowledge:
St. Mary, Mother of God
St. Francis of Assisi
St. Peter

Other good ones for high schoolers:
St. Michael the Archangel (Defend us in battle)
St. Raphael the Archangel (Intercessor for relationships)
St. Maria Goretti

Other ones I like
St. Philomena
St. Padre Pio
Cardinal Newman

Sorry, I could have made this easier by giving our list, thus far, and having you make comments, additions, subtractions. Here goes:

Mary,
Mary’s parents, Anne and Joachim
St. Michael,
St. Gabriel,
St. Raphael,
St. John the Baptist,
St. Joseph,
St. Peter,
St. Paul,
St. Andrew,
St. James,
St. John,
St. Thomas,
St. James,
St. Philip,
St. Bartholomew,
St. Matthew,
St. Simon,
St. Jude,
St. Matthias,
St. Barnabas,
St. Luke,
St. Mark,
All you holy Innocents,

St. Stephen,
St. Lawrence,
St. Vincent,
Sts. Fabian and Sebastian,
Sts. John and Paul,
Sts. Cosmos and Damian,
All you holy Martyrs,

St. Sylvester,
St. Gregory,
St. Ambrose,
St. Augustine,
St. Jerome,
St. Martin,
St. Nicholas,

St. Anthony,
St. Benedict,
St. Bernard,
St. Dominic,
St. Francis,
St. Patrick
St. Aquinas
St. Thérèse of Lisieux
St. Elizabeth of Hungary
St. Rose of Lima
St. Bernadette

St. Mary Magdalene,
St. Agatha,
St. Lucy,
St. Agnes,
St. Cecilia,
St. Anastasia,
St. Catherine of Alexandria,
St. Clare,
St. Christopher
St. Joan of Arc

[FONT=Arial]And some more modern saints, perhaps:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]St. Kolbe[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Padre Pio[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Others?[/FONT]

St. Faustina.

St. Dymphna/Dymphne – patron for mental illness and nervous disorders, certainly with today’s rise in depression and anxiety attacks and even learning disabilities or autism or ADHD it seems she might be a comfort to some. She was my sister’s confirmation name saint. (Sis spells it Dymphany–rhymes with symphony–for easier pronunciation.)

St Dismas, maybe.

There are already many good suggestions. I would add:

St. Dominic Savio, patron saint of boys

St. John Bosco, patron saint of boys and school children.

The patron saints for girls, St. Agnus–already on your list and St. Maria Goretti–whom someone already suggested.

Your curriculum could also encourage every child to learn about the saints who share their names.

In the modern saints I am partial to St Josemaria Escriva, who really helped spread the message of a universal call to holiness. Pope JPII called him “the saint of the ordinary”.

You list “St. Francis” but don’t say which St. Francis but it is probably St. Francis of Assisi so how about St. Francis Xavier. His missionary work in Asia brought huge changes to the area. He worked in India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Japan and Canton (China). Many people believe he converted more people to Christainity than anyone since St. Paul.

Gearoidin

For modern saints, you have to add with JPII and Mother Theresa. :smiley:

If you’re in the U.S., I’d add St. Kateri to the list.

I’d also encourage you to add the various names of Mary to your list. I’m not sure how to phrase that, sorry! Our Lady of Perpetual Help is a particular patron of mine, and I really wished I knew of her earlier.

I would add the following:

St. Ignatius of Loyola

St Aloysius Gonzaga (patron of youth)

From the Catholic Grout List I link elsewhere today:

1. The Big Five Intercessors are Saint Joseph, Saint Jude, Saint Anthony, Saint Therese the Little Flower, and Saint Michael the Archangel. Just about every good Catholic relies on them, often daily. Why? They really, really work. Please note: Saint Philomena and Saint Escriva seem to be trying to crack this list in recent years–please give them every opportunity to do so.

Saint Giuseppe of Cupertino: patron of bad students. :wink:

Sam, the Neon Orange Knight

St. Faustina whose feast day is October 5th. She is a modern saint who brought the message of Divine Mercy to us.

Thats an amusing yet very good list. I like it.

And one of the partons of aviation, along with Our Lady of Loretto.

And what about our dear American saints, Frances Cabrini, John Neumann and Elizabeth Bayley Seton? Saint Juan Diego? St. Issac Jogues? St. Katherine Drexel?

I hope to see on the list of saints, and not just the beatified and venerable, Pierre Toussaint, Henriette Delille, and Vincent Cappodanno.

Definitely St. Kolbe…

Perhaps a game of “saints trivia” where you would find a saint that is patron saint of something one would not think of, like St. Gabriel Possenti being the patron saint of marksmen/gun owners, and Our Lady of Grace being a patron saint of motorcyclists (as is St. Columbanus).

I was thinking of him as well! I’ve had a chance to meet Fr. Mode, who is active in his cause.

I was thinking of him as well! I’ve had a chance to meet Fr. Mode, who is active in his cause.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.