Saints on Advent?

Friends :),

For a long time, I’ve been getting more and more interested in the season of Advent. Apart from the penance and expectant joy, something deeper really speaks to me. The Incarnation and Nativity in particular have a certain sacred darkness associated with them, candles burning bright in shadowy places. Our Lord truly banished the Enemy by His invasion of this world, and changed us forever.

Often, the great names of our history seem to focus on the events of Holy Week (rightly), so I can’t seem to find much on Advent. Can anyone recommend writings on the first season of the Liturgical Year? I want meditations from the saints, ideas from the theologians, and treatises by great doctors of the Church.

I know St. Alphonsus Liguori composed a musical pastorale for Christmas (youtube.com/watch?v=rCf6oYdE24k) … did he write on that season? :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.