Saints quotes on non-believers and atheists?

Does anyone have quotes from the saints on this subject? I’ve seen them quote on various different subjects but couldn’t find any quotes on this subject. Thanks!

I cannot say for sure, but I doubt you will find any quotes.

The main problem is that atheists were not generally acknowledged until the 18th Century, and did not become more widely known until the Nineteenth. That really limits the Saints who might have commented on it during their lifetimes.

Furthermore, you will also find a dearth of Saints who have commented on much older non-Christian practices, such as Islam or Buddhism. Atheists are a small fraction of Muslims and Buddhists. If Saints have not commented on a much older and larger non-Catholic faith, you can hardly expect to find them commenting on atheism (which is not even a faith at all).

Look up JPll’s articles on Atheists. As soon as he is named a saint you will have what you are looking for.

St. Alphonsus Liguori wrote several books against atheism. The best example is probably The Truth of the Faith, but unfortunately the only translation I can find available online is in Italian. Google Translate can turn that into English, though, in a way that lets you read it and get the essence of each paragraph.

I believe it was St. Nicholas who said “What did the five fingers say to the face” to Arius :smiley:

This is a very good post from St. Augustine. Note: the link is outdated, but she posted the content of this saint’s thoughts. Beautiful!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.