Saints that were persecuted by their family?

Does anyone know if there are any saints that were persecuted by their own family? I know someone who gets made fun of all the time by her mom for being catholic and I wanted to find a saint that she can look at and see that she can get through this. It is really hard for her and her mom calls her names behind her back and to her face all the time. Her Mom even stopped taking her to church. I always try to comfort her, and I will always be there for her; she means a lot to me. If anyone can help please reply. Thank you.

Thomas Aquinas was locked up by his family to keep him away from the monastery.

St. Wilgefortis was crucified by her own father for being Catholic :eek: .

St Dymphna, killed by her own father - St Barbara likewise. St Francis of Assisi, whose father didn’t want him to follow Christ by devoting his life to poverty.

St. Germaine’s step-mother didn’t kill her, but I think she’s still a solid candidate for this category:
catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=52

St. Flora of Cordoba had more than her fair share of parental abuse. catholic-forum.com/saints/saintf21.htm

Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha
catholic-forum.com/saints/saintk01.htm

Daughter of a Christian Algonquin woman captured by Iroquois and married to a non-Christian Mohawk chief. Orphaned during a smallpox epidemic, which left her with a scarred face and impaired eyesight. Converted and baptized in 1676 by Father Jacques de Lamberville, a Jesuit missionary. Shunned and abused by relatives for her faith. Escaped through 200 miles of wilderness to the Christian Native American village of Sault-Sainte-Marie.

Her family wanted her to marry she felt called to remain a virgin. To try and change her mind they starved her.

Bl. Margaret Costello - talk about persecution!!:frowning:

members.aol.com/linden59/blessedmargaret.html

How about the great angelic doctor, Thomas Aquinas? His family wanted him to become a Benedictine instead of a Dominican and he did not go along with it so they had him somewhat imprisoned.

St. Clare as well; her family tried to come and physically take her from the convent after St. Francis had helped her escape, and she literally clung to the alter to keep them from dragging her off. Though I’d have to agree that St. Francis’ story is also quite something, as well as Bl. Kateri’s.
Please let her know that we are united with her in prayer. She might find some comfort in running to her spiritual Mother, who is always tender and sweet and welcoming, and finding in her the grace to go on yielding to persecution.

St. Elizabeth Ann Seton was shunned by her Episcopalian family after converting to Catholicism.

AMEN to that. I took her name at my confirmation at Easter Vigil 2001 (at the age of 51). My mom is happy for me now. My father may have disowned me if he had been alive.

Perhaps he is happy about it now. :wink:

Hi i just joined this- I can understand how your friend feels. I too am going threw the same situation…I suffer alot here at home.

St. Francis of Assisi.

Also, St. Rose of Lima took a vow of virginity and she faced a lot of opposition from her parents, who wanted her to marry. I hope the best for your friend. I’m sure your friendship and support mean so much to her now.

closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.