Saints with musical instruments

I thought I would share some pictures of some Saints with musical instruments.
Do you know of any Saints who played musical instruments?
What is your favorite musical instrument?
What is your favorite genre of music?

St. Cecilia patron Saint of Music, St. Rose De Lima with guitar, St. Teresa of Avila with tambourine, and St. Teresa of Avila dancing tango.

God bless,
goforgoal

Wow, I love that one of St. Rose of Lima with a guitar. I’d never associated her with music. St. Cecelia and David / the Psalmist were the only two I was coming up with. I play guitar so I’ll save the one of St. Rose. Thanks!

The picture of St. Rose of Lima or St. Teresa of Avila here are NOT traditional icons, but are products of the so-called “Bridge Builder” school, headed by Robert Lentz.

There is more to iconography than technique.

I will say only this further about the pictures they create: no real Orthodox or Byzantine Catholic will have one in their homes.

If you’re not using it as an icon, but only as a meaningful picture such as you would with art or a holy card, why would there be a problem with it?

I’ll deal with the issue of Robert Lentz, his school, and their apparent attitude to their work.

Eastern Iconography is not just religious art. No one is denying that Lentz has the technique down pat. But Iconography is just not about technique.

Iconography is a traditional, liturgical art that expresses the Faith of the Church in color. It’s not for nothing that Icons are called “theology in color.”

When the Deacon reads the Gospel on Christmas, he doesn’t make up a nice story about Baby Jesus, but reads the appointed Biblical pericope. Why? Because this is the LITURGICAL expression of the Faith of the Church.

Robert Lentz and his school do not express the Faith of the Church, but their own notions–sometimes even political ideas.

Example #1: Christ the Liberator showis a black African man in a dashiki and claw necklace; the figure doesn’t become “Jesus” just because you have put a Christological halo on it.

Example #2: The traditional icon of Ss. Sergius and Bacchus. shows them on horseback–he doesn’t. He’s merely drawn two pretty boys in armor.

Example #3: There are the imitation icons of Harvey Milk and Mohandas Ghandi, even daring to call them “saint.”

Several very skilled traditional iconographers I know have said that the Lentz school might build bridges, but they are bridges to Hell.

The personal piety of Robert Lentz is not the issue. The issue is spiritual delusion.

By the same token, an iconographer has to be a man or woman of prayer, first.

The central idea and motivation for iconography never caught on in the West–or maybe the West lost it. In fact, if you look at early Mediaeval western Christian art, it bears strong affinities to Eastern iconography. That’s why Western art degenerated into “religious art”, which embraces everything from Michaelangelo to saccharine holy cards to Corita Kent type scrawls.

I’m not saying all Western religious art is bad. Salvador Dali’s Crucifixion and St. John of the Cross are powerful works. I admire them greatly. But they are not icons.

In short, iconography is not about the personal ideas of the artist, nor fulfilling subjective devotional needs of the viewer, but expressing the teaching and tradition of the Church.

Hi, Cluny,
So the problem is that they’re representing their artwork as icons when it doesn’t meet the spiritual requirements for it. But taken simply as interpretive religious art and not as icons, is there anything wrong with it?

I apologise to anyone who was offended or hurt by the photo’s of St. Rose de Lima and St. Teresa of Avila.

I don’t know much about the artist Robert Lentz so thank you for sharing your information.

I’ve read about Robert Lentz on wikipedia but than again wikipedia has been incorrect with information in the past.

I enjoy playing the piano although I have to admit I’m not that great :blush:

I enjoy all genres of music but some I cannot tolerate :smiley:

St. Cecilia Pray for musicians. Amen.

goforgoal,
Thanks for posting them. I added St. Rose to my desktop art. I also have a card that looks as though it may be from the same artists (I won’t call them iconographers) showing Christ imprisoned behind barbed wire that’s thought-provoking. In general, I don’t use art or icons in my own prayer so I’m not sure how the objections raised would apply if the artwork isn’t being used as an icon. But I’m certainly open to hearing if I’m wrong…

Venerable Fr. Solanus Casey played the violin (somewhat “rustically” ;)). If you go to the link, below… you can click on “Hear Fr. Solanus playing the violin” and you can actually hear a recording, of him playing and singing. It is so sweet.

solanuscasey.org/

Venerable Fr. Solanus, pray for us…

http://www.amorsanto.com/Mensajes/Fotos/Mensajesdadospor/solanus.casey1.jpg

MarieVeronica,
Thanks. That was very sweet. It reminds me of some of the old-time home-grown fiddler-singers in Mountain View, Arkansas, where I was born. I wasn’t old enough to appreciate their music or their unabashed love for Jesus when we lived there (I was 17) but I do now.

“FF” Glad you enjoyed the fiddling of Fr. Solanus. I also enjoyed listening. He was born in Oak Grove, Wisconsin in 1870. So, I’m sure the music to which you refer, was familiar in his part of the country, too. They were simple people. And the folk music of the era certainly reflects their simplicity.

I’m just so happy… that it occurred to one of the Friars in his community, to record him playing and singing. What a GEM for future generations!

God bless.

MarieVeronica-Thank you for sharing the photo and link.

St. Cecilia Pray for us. Amen.

Patron Saints of musicians pray for us. Amen.

saints.sqpn.com/patrons-of-musicians/

Patron Saints of singers pray for us. Amen.

saints.sqpn.com/pst00654.htm

Blessed Hildegard von Bingen was a composer

saints.sqpn.com/blessed-hildegard-von-bingen/

dailymotion.com/video/x7jh9o_hildegard-von-bingen-vision-voice-h_music

youtube.com/watch?v=bgeEM0QyWyk

Does anyone know if our Pope or our past Popes played any musical instruments or sang?

God bless,
goforgoal

It looks like Pope Benedict XVI plays the piano.:thumbsup:

catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=34668

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.