Saints you just can't "get into"

Something that I found helpful is to read a book written indirectly about a saint. I also could never get into St. Therese (too flowery) but my daughter got a book a couple of weeks ago – it’s a fictional book about a young girl who discovers St. Therese.

I actually started reading it, and it teaches the life and spirituality of St. Therese in an indirect way. (The book is Olivia and the Little Way). I may have to actually read Story of a Soul now…

So ask around at your parish or a Catholic bookstore for something about the saints that is not a direct biography. Just a suggestion. :slight_smile:

That’s a good suggestion. Also, autobiographies are sometimes more difficult to read than biographies. In an autobiography, especially by a saint, the individual often gets so absorbed in his or her experience, that no one really understands what they’re saying or it sounds foreign to our ears, because we have not shared the same experience. I had this happen to me with the autobiography of St. Teresa of Avila. But I read her book The Way of Perfection, which is really a spiritual guide and her life story by a modern biographer, I found then to be awesome.

Fraternally,

JR :slight_smile:

Couldn’t get into Simeon the Stylite. He lived on a pillar for 37, thirty seven! years to get away from people. I could look up to him though.:smiley: :rolleyes:

Saints I can’t ‘get into’:

St Josemaría Escrivá de Balaguer

St Pio

Favourite saints: St Francis de Sales; Blessed Damien of Molokai (OK, not a declared saint yet but getting there!)

But isn’t this really one of the “beauties” of the Communion of Saints?

There are so many of them! Thousands and thousands of known saints. And who knows how many more, unknown saints? All of us, can find at least ONE saint, to whom we can relate… and form a close, spiritual bond with.

God bless.

(P.S. Just for the record, I love St. Therese of Lisieux so dearly, BECAUSE of her “purple prose”. She and I are kindred spirits, in that she was a sensitive, artistic soul too.

Shows how different we all are. But isn’t it wonderful how God’s plan works? There will be so many different friends for us… in Heaven! Heaven will NOT be a boring place, that’s for sure ).:egyptian:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.