Sales people/telemarketers

This is the best trick I have heard to foil them.

youtube.com/watch?v=KWIMRKq2eZI

To the OP. I would just confess it as a doubtful Mortal Sin. Maybe Father will tell you what you need to know.

Now to the off topic, topic… I was a telemarketer for about 2 months when I was 21. The person calling does not necessarily know that you are on the “Do no call list”. I would call people who would tell me that they are on this list. I personally had no way of knowing and I was not doing it on purpose. Call me a criminal because I was “Breaking the law” if you want. It wont hurt me, because I am a ex-felon (reformed by the grace of God) anyways :wink:

Hey folks… don’t be rude to telemarketers. It is understandable that what they are doing is annoying and everyone loses their cool once in awhile. But remember this… You may get one who will return your rudeness x10 by putting your name on a special list to make sure you get bothered more. Seriously, I knew at least one guy when I was telemarketing who use to do that.

Just cut them off and say “I am not interested. Can you please remove me from your calling list?” By law, they have to. Will they always? Maybe, maybe not. Try that approach for awhile though and see if it works.

It seems like everyone hates telemarketers these days, I hear jokes about them everywhere, even on the national news, they have stories about aggressive telemarketing, how to deal with telemarketers, national DO NOT CALL lists and how to get on them, etc. so it is obvious, no one really likes this form of marketing.

I think a good way to stop these, or slow down their general use, is for the local news, or national news to publish the names of the companies that hire the telemarketers in the first place, and then the public will know who and where to direct their frustration. This could also be done, by requiring the telemarketer to tell you the name of the company immediately, so we all know which companies are responsible for this. Its not the telemarketing company I get angry with , and no one should, its the actual company that is paying them to do this, that is where the anger and nasty jokes on TV need to be directed towards.

I appreciate that there are live people calling me, so I always give an abrupt but polite “No thank you. I’m not interested. Please talk me off of your calling list.” Usually that’s that, but I had one guy who refused to remove me from his list until he explained the great deal I could get by switching electrical providers. I completely and utterly lost it.

My 72-year-old dad is a pip. He has no tolerance for telemarketers. Whenever one calls him by his first name it usually goes like this:

Telemarketer: Hello, is this Daniel [last name]?
Dad: Who is this?
Telemarketer: I’m so-and-so from such-and-such company. I want…
Dad: Do I know you?
Telemarketer: No
Dad: Then how come you’re calling me by my christian name?

Love it. Absolutely love it.

I’m a registered nurse and part of my job is calling people who have been identified as having chronic illnesses to help them maintain and improve their health and decrease hospitalizations.
Some people find our calls very helpful. Some can’t afford to visit a doctor, and our calls might be the only medical resource they have.
We use an automated calling system because we call thousands of people, so it sounds like a telemarketer call at first. Most people are gracious even if they don’t want to talk to us, but some just assume we’re scams and are rude.
I would encourage people to give the person on the other end of the phone a chance to explain why they’re calling. If we can’t identify the person we’re talking to, we often have to call them again until we can. We can’t take a spouse’s word for it that the person doesn’t want our calls.
I’m just pointing out that there are other reasons for cold calling besides being a telemarketer.

There are times when my spouse doesn’t want to be disturbed and asks me to screen calls coming in for her. At those times you (speaking corporately, not personally) will just have to take my word that she doesn’t want your call.

Which sounds great. But it is still a sales call. UNLESS those patients asked you to call.

Some people find our calls very helpful. Some can’t afford to visit a doctor, and our calls might be the only medical resource they have.

And to those that have a doctor that they visit. You are a sales call.

We use an automated calling system because we call thousands of people, so it sounds like a telemarketer call at first. Most people are gracious even if they don’t want to talk to us, but some just assume we’re scams and are rude.

The fact that you call “thousands of people” tells me that you are just another sales call. Sorry.

Do you sell anything? Or is your call really and truly a call with free help and information?

Either way. Once someone says, “no thank you.” Your job is done.

I would encourage people to give the person on the other end of the phone a chance to explain why they’re calling. If we can’t identify the person we’re talking to, we often have to call them again until we can. **We can’t take a spouse’s word for it that the person doesn’t want our calls. **

:eek:
Good luck.

Someone needs to look at your corporate policy.

I’m just pointing out that there are other reasons for cold calling besides being a telemarketer. -

Cold calls?

I would really like to know what kind of company you work for and what “service” you are offering.

It sounds like just another sales call.

These calls are unwelcome distractions -at best- in 99% of circumstances.

Again, a good analogy is if I came to YOUR workplace and shoved advertisements for my business in your face insistently, then came back again and again even though you declined my services. Are salespeople simply allowed to walk in to your place of employment and make a sales pitch to you? No. Why? Because your employer wants you working, not fielding sales calls. Your business could have me arrested for trespassing or something if I insisted on bothering you at work, or at least physically removed by security.
Why don’t I have that option when telemarketers bother me while I’m trying to support a family and a community???

Cold call solicitations need to be outlawed. Until that glorious day, telemarketers should not be shocked if they are treated as annoyances.

It sounds like she is describing when your health insurance company keeps calling you to enroll you in some semi-intrusive “program” that does nothing but save them money (why else would they “offer” it?). I’ve had to deal with that before. It is very difficult to get them to leave you alone.

I’ve received these calls. :frowning:

In some ways they are worse than normal telemarketers. They think they are doing you a favor. :rolleyes:

When in reality? They are just another sales call.

I’ve had the person trying to get me to install the “free” security system feel they are doing me a favor. They actually yelled at me and said why wouldn’t I want something that was free, what kind of nut was I? :frowning:

I’m a mild, non-threatening individual in person, so it was the salesperson, not anything I did (this happened at my house, not over the phone). I suspect they had believed the propaganda that whomever hired them had told them.

I believe that some telemarketers think they are being helpful.

Yes! This! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

When a telemarketer, after being politely told that I am not interested, continues their sales pitch, they have given up any expectation of being treated in a civil manner.

We are not selling anything to the people we call. The health plan has purchased this service, to improve people’s health and help them avoid ending up in the hospital. They bought it to save money, but it does reduce hospitalizations, since people often have symptoms they don’t realize can cause them problems if they’re not addressed.

People are free to say no thank you, then we don’t call them again. But we have to ascertain that they are really the right person, so just saying “stop calling” and hanging up will not stop the calls.

I personally think we should do away with health insurance companies, but while we have them, we have to work with the system we have.

Oh my gosh, that was hilarious! I usually can’t stand Bob and Tom, because of their forced laughter, but that is one of the funniest calls I have ever heard.

I would try to pull it off, but the caller would probably not believe a female “homicide investigator” and I could not help myself from :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Whether or not the call proposes something of value is beside the point. The point that so many object to is, that telemarketers believe they can intrude on another person’s peace and productivity. They intrude on personal and work time and space.

I find interesting the idea that we are “free to say no thank you”, as though telemarketers have granted us some newly discovered freedom. How about the right to privacy? How about basic respect for peace? How about the freedom to do my job without unwanted interruptions?
I’m coming to your job and pushing sales flyers in your face (what I sell is good for you, you just don’t realize it!). And when you say no thanks I’m going to come back with another sales pitch in another half hour. And another, til your boss asks you why you haven’t accomplished anything today. And when you go to the bathroom I’m going to stop and ask to see you, so that you have to rush things that should never be rushed, just so you can have the freedom to say “no thank you please leave me alone”.

Ban telemarketing.

If I am working on a task for one client or coworker and another client or coworker calls with a different task, that also will interrupt my productivity and certainly my peace. Is the solution to get angry and call for a ban on all phone calls just in case they disturb me? Of course not.

The solution, at home as at work, is to simply screen my calls. Have an answering machine. That way I can take urgent calls and not be interrupted with non-urgent ones. Most telemarketers will not bother leaving messages anyway, but no problem if they talk into my machine.

This is a different situation. These people calling aren’t clients or coworkers.

The solution, at home as at work, is to simply screen my calls. Have an answering machine. That way I can take urgent calls and not be interrupted with non-urgent ones. Most telemarketers will not bother leaving messages anyway, but no problem if they talk into my machine.

The solution is to stop breaking the law.

I shouldn’t have to allow my phone to ring 4 times, wait for my machine to pick up, THEN find out if I want to answer my phone.

I pay for the phone. I should have a say in who calls me. And I do. There are laws against calling me to sell me stuff.

These people are invading my home. I didn’t ask them to call, and I don’t want them to call. Each company that calls, gets one courtesy. After that, if they call again? They get the whistle.

But see, then they aren’t free to say no thank you.

And I have to say, I have had these calls.

And you are right. They won’t stop calling. They also won’t change the time they call. So, if they are calling a working person and their time to call you is 9AM, you are just out of luck.

They are incredibly annoying. And yes, after a couple of calls, I warned the company. Stop calling or I will blow the whistle every time you call. And yes, I did it.

I agree–ANYONE who calls me to solicit anything–even a health service is a PIA as far as I’m concerned. I live in Alaska and most of the morons who work phones for a living seem to be completely unaware of such things as time zones. Often, they have an Indian accent so thick that I’m lucky if I can understand when they say the word “Hello”. HINT: if it is 0800 on the east coast, it’s only 0400 where I live. When I get a call from anyone at that hour of the night and am blown completely out of my bed by the sudden ring of a phone, someone best be calling to inform me of a death in the family or I am not going to be a happy camper when you attempt to take a poll, suggest whom I should vote for or even ask about my health! In such cases, I am quite likely to suggest that you are living proof that once upon a time indigenous people really did breed with water buffalo or that your mother once knew a baboon in the true biblical sense of the word–and that is if I’m feeling particularly Christian toward you! And no–I don’t confess it as a sin or feel that it is one!!! So, don’t call me unless you know me or a tsunami is on the way–otherwise, I truly don’t care and I don’t want to hear whatever it is you have to say!!!:banghead:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.