Salvation before sacraments of initiation?

I live in the midwest, and as I’m sure you may have heard this morning on the news, we are supposed to be in store for some extreme weather including tornados and 60 mph winds.

It got me thinking. I’ve been in RCIA for over half a year now. My RCIA director says that I’m ready to enter into the church, but since my church and diocese is smaller, they want to wait until Easter Vigil to give me the sacraments. (Until then my RCIA director is treating me with higher Catechist education since I am so interested and in love with the church :slight_smile: but that’s another story lol)

I haven’t received the sacrament of reconciliation yet, but I have so many sins to confess since I have never received the sacrament before… It has me thinking that what if some crazy event happens (like a severe storm with a tornado) before I receive the sacraments of initiation? It’s kind of a scary thought for me, because I truly wish I could go to confession today…

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice about this?

Thanks everyone, and God bless.

This sounds like a case in which Baptism by desire may apply. Baptism by desire is what happens when one perishes before receiving Baptism, by no fault of one’s own, but one has been moral and would have been baptized given the chance. It is a fully valid form. Here’s what the Catechism says:

1259 For catechumens who die before their Baptism, their explicit desire to receive it, together with repentance for their sins, and charity, assures them the salvation that they were not able to receive through the sacrament.

Baptism by desire would certainly apply if you have not yet been baptized. People who have not been baptized cannot receive reconciliation and all their sins are forgiven in receiving the sacrament of Baptism.

If you have been baptized, talk to your pastor about going to Reconciliation sooner rather than later. Usually RCIA candidates wait until shortly before receiving the sacraments of Confirmation and/or Eucharist but there are no hard and fast rules about just when that is supposed to take place. Maybe he’ll allow you to go to confession now and again closer to Easter.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.