Salvation determined by state of soul at death

my protestant friend swears this is un-biblical. what verses support this teaching? thanks.

Ezekiel 18:26 When a righteous man turns away from his righteousness and commits iniquity, he shall die for it; for the iniquity which he has committed he shall die. 18:27 Again, when a wicked man turns away from the wickedness he has committed and does what is lawful and right, he shall save his life. 18:28 Because he considered and turned away from all the transgressions which he had committed, he shall surely live, he shall not die.

Is your friend objecting because he holds a “once saved, always saved” position? If so, there a quite a few NT passages which show the error of that position. Here are just a couple examples:

*1 Cor 9:27 but I pommel my body and subdue it, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified. (Note that St. Paul acknowledges the possibility of becoming “disqualified”.)

Gal 5:21 (St. Paul is speaking to the baptized Galatians) "I warn you as I warned you before, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.*

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.