Salvation & Divine Mercy

I’ve been dealing with a life/death issue for a last few weeks, and I’m having a hard time getting a hold of it.

A couple of weeks ago, my mom passed away. I was not very close to her. As I got older, I learned some things about her that directly or indirectly impacted our relationship.

I knew she had a extremely difficult childhood. Her parents died when she was young, and lived in foster care in NY state until the mid 1930s before going to live with other family members. She had a difficult time forming relationships with people, and unless you took the time to understand her quirks it would seem that she’s didn’t like you.

It seems odd, but towards the end of her life I happen to be reading St. Faustina’s diary. I came across a sentence that struck me: “Only that soul who wants it will be damned, for God condemns no one.”

Further in the Diary regarding the despairing soul: “Jesus calls to the souls a third time, but the soul remains deaf and blind, hardened and despairing. Then the mercy of God begins to exert itself, and, without any co-operation from the soul, God grants it final grace. If this too is spurned, God will leave the soul in this self chosen disposition for eternity.”

My interpretation: as long as we cooperate with God and take an active role, we can be saved.

Where I stumble, what about nurture and how does that impact a soul’s salvation? What if the soul is incapable of participating or cooperating with God?

Another question I have is with Divine Mercy. I was married outside the Church and my wife doesn’t want to do a small ceremony in the Church. Until then, I realize that I can’t participate in penance or Holy Communion. Would it be fair to say that Divine Mercy could be my only salvation for now until I resolve my other issues?

Tinman, I am very devoted to Saint Faustina and the Divine Mercy…What makes it so beautiful is that Jesus Himself gave us this most merciful devotion to save countless souls…specifically as a last resort for some. You can say the Divine Mercy for other people who have passed if they couldn’t say it themselves…I’m sorry to hear about your Mom.

I am not an expert and certainly your priest is the most important person to consult on your issues at hand…Is your wife a Catholic? I’m trying to understand why she doesn’t want to validate your marriage in the Church…can you explain to her how important it is to you…especially so you can receive the Holy Eucharist? Maybe your priest could come to your home and have you renew your vows if she doesn’t want a ceremony in the Church? I will pray for you both!:slight_smile:

Only God decides our salvation…I know I am most thankful for His gift of the Divine Mercy because He says Trust in His mercy no matter how sinful your past may be…if you trust in His mercy and Love…He will guide you to ensure your salvation…that is my opinion…for example…if your salvation depended upon validating your marriage and you were praying for His mercy and direction…your marriage will get validated because He will send the Holy Spirit to remove the blockers.

I wish I could help more…there are so many brilliant and good people here…hopefully you will get all the advice you are seeking. God Bless you!!

JESUS, I TRUST IN YOU!!!:smiley: St. Faustina, Pray for us

It is good that you are wondering and caring about your mother’s soul. You did not say, but surely you are also praying for her.

Whether or not souls are able to receive the sacraments we all depend on mercy for salvation.

God’s primary concern for each of us is our holiness and salvation. Our health, careers and marriages come second. Jesus says, “Seek first the kingdom of God and all these other things will be added to you”. You can not have a good marriage without grace. The more grace you have the better your marriage will become. The sacraments are the means of grace.

Hi Tinman, thank you for posting and God bless you. I’m going through the same thing you are except I have not been brave enough yet to ask my wife to do a ceremony in the church. we were married outside the church as well. If your wife won’t agree, I believe that the bishop can do something called radical sanation, or ‘healing at the root’, that would allow you to again receive the sacraments. This is something you can do on your own, your wife does not need to know. As far as your salvation concerns, I too take great hope in saint faustina’s words. I think it was hearing Benedict Groeschel giving a talk on EWTN on saint faustina that was the spark that brought me to begin searching and eventually joining the catholic church. Don’t lose hope for your mother or your marriage, they are both in good hands with Jesus. I am planning on asking my wife to consider a convalidation ceremony for our marriage this week, please keep us in your prayers everyone.

Thank you for responding.

Yes, I started praying the chaplet of Divine Mercy as soon as she entered the hospice. She suffered from COPD (very heavy smoker). Then one day I received a phone call from my brother. The hospice had informed him that she would probably go within 48 hours. He asked me to call our mom, and to let her know that it was okay to go.

Since I wasn’t able to call right away because I was at work, I took 15 minutes and went for a walk and prayed. I called when I got home, and the nurse informed me that my mom was sleeping very peacefully and there were no difficulty of breathing.

After hanging up, I went said another chaplet before going to bed. Six hours later she had passed away. I thought it odd that there was no problems with her breathing. Her lungs were so damaged that she couldn’t retain oxygen at all and was constantly gasping for air.

I haven’t talked to my parish priest in a while, because his mom passed away as well.

As for the marriage issue, my wife had a bad experience with several parishioners at a church in our area before she met me. Sometimes we forget that we are the spokespeople for our church whether we want to or not. I’m not forcing the issue, but I pray and keep the green scapular close by.:smiley:

hi tinman, your story reminded me of my grandmother who died 12 years ago. She was not a Catholic, nor a church goer of any description, but I loved her a great deal because she was always good to us as children. I visited her on her deathbed and we knew she had only hours left to live. When I got home, I suddenly started crying and pleading to God for her. I looked at the clock and it was 1:07am. The next day I heard that she had died at that 1:07am and I immediately knew that God had inspired my prayer and used it just as she died. This has been a great consolation to me regarding God’s mercy, especially where the salvation of non-Catholics is concerned. :slight_smile:

Tinman,

Like you, I was married many years ago outside the Church, as many “lapsed Catholics” tend to do. On my return to the Church a few years ago, my non- Catholic wife was highly distrustful of church authority, and Catholic Church authority especially, and did not wish to renew our consent (the usual avenue of convalidation).

So, I found myself in the predicament you now find yourself in. And at about that time the Divine Mercy found me.

Until your marriage has been convalidated, I highly suggest Eucharistic Adoration as frequently as possible (I am lucky enough to be able to go *almost *every weekday for a few minutes during lunch) and a daily Divine Mercy chaplet. Being away from the sacraments, I literally LIVED on these for about 2 years…

Two weeks ago I got an email from a priest in the marriage tribunal of my diocese, informing me that he had just signed the decree granting our radical sanation (more info here: vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_P47.HTM). I went to confession the very next day, and the following morning attended Sunday mass. Before communion, I again said “Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed”.

And this time, after so many, many requests, He said Yes.

Hang in there - this may be a very trying, but very blessed and special, time of sincere learning and growth for you.

Peace all.

Thank you for sharing your story. It is the best advice anyone has given Tinman yet. Grace truly comes to those who are faithful and wait.

Now we pray it will come to your spouse as well, and to Tinman.

Tinman, it doesn’t seem odd to me at all that you would be reading St. Faustina’s Diary when you were. God’s timing is perfect. :wink:

As far as nuturing and a soul’s salvation, I guess I would say that
God gives everyone – everyone – a chance to know Him, good or bad upbringing aside. Every soul’s home is with God, so even the slightest spark is all it takes to overcome less than ideal nurturing.

The message of Divine Mercy is so wonderful in that it can bring us great comfort when thinking about these types of questions…even if a soul repents at the very moment of death, that’s enough, and Divine Mercy forms the bridge to eternity with God.

Might I make a suggestion? Pray to St. Monica for her intercession with your wife. Here’s information on her: saints.sqpn.com/saintm04.htm

Also, join us in this thread if you’d like (it’s not just for woman praying for their husbands – there are also husbands praying for their wives and parents praying for their kids): forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=106135

There’s also a novena to St. Monica going on right now: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=261740

Offering a prayer for your mother, your wife, and you. God bless you! :crossrc:

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.