Salvation: Just Click and Confess

miamiherald.com/884/story/90357.html

Unreal, online confession websites for protestants.:stuck_out_tongue:

Well, at least it’s a step in the right direction. Sin effects the entire body of Christ, which is probably why confessions used to be public in the Early Church.

That’s cute:D

I think this just reinforces what we already know: People yearn for forgiveness. They want to know they have it. I think this may tie in with the Protestant idea of Assured Salvation. Maybe what they are really getting at is, “Assured Forgiveness.”

How do you know you’ll go to heaven? Because I am sure God is merciful and he forgives.

The danger of this kind of thing is that it reduces the concept of “confession” to an exercise in pop psychology (“if it feels good, do it”), disregarding its spiritual significance.

Blessings,

Gerry

Does God have a computer? Does he have an e-mail address? If anyone knows can I have it. What a joke!!!

I think you hit it on the head when you said “unreal”…:rolleyes:

I doubt this method is sacramental by any means!:smiley:

So, based on your logic, I’m guessing that you happen to know a guy who has God’s cellphone number and that’s who you confess to.

No cellphone or computer, just God Himself in the Sacrement of Reconciliation. What a great Sacrement.:extrahappy:

Respectfully, it is clear from this statement that you don’t understand what the sacrament of confession actually is.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church

Only God forgives sin
1441 Only God forgives sins.39 Since he is the Son of God, Jesus says of himself, “The Son of man has authority on earth to forgive sins” and exercises this divine power: "Your sins are forgiven."40 Further, by virtue of his divine authority he gives this power to men to exercise in his name.41
1442 Christ has willed that in her prayer and life and action his whole Church should be the sign and instrument of the forgiveness and reconciliation that he acquired for us at the price of his blood. But he entrusted the exercise of the power of absolution to the apostolic ministry which he charged with the "ministry of reconciliation."42 The apostle is sent out “on behalf of Christ” with “God making his appeal” through him and pleading: "Be reconciled to God."43
39 Cf. Mk 2:7.
40 Mk 2:5,10; Lk 7:48.
41 Cf. Jn 20:21-23.
42 2 Cor 5:18.
43 2 Cor 5:20.

I am guessing you never saw Bruce Almighty??? He made prayers into emails. Totally hilarious!!!

I loved that movie. But what was the outcome of the e-mail prayers? Total calamity!!!

Exactly… but at least he learned from it.

I posted this out of sheer shock…especially the part about airing it publicly so that other people can log in to read your latest sins. It’s nothing more than net voyeurism. Don’t get me wrong, I love the sacrament of reconcilliation and the release from sin. I suppose SOME protestants want the same type of tangible effects. But I just think this is the wrong way to do it.

Let’s see the brighter side of this.
Those people seem to yearn for confession. Hopefully, someday 1 out of 50 people confessing there will confess to a Catholic priest. :slight_smile:

Voyeurism? For some maybe. But to think that it is inappropriate for public confession of sin is to be ignorant of how the Early Church used to practice the sacrament of Reconcilliation.

I think it may just be people responding to the prompting of the Holy Spirit. Just as Protestants are rediscovering Mary, they are also discovering that God desires confession more than just in their bedroom alone.

God bless,
Maria

Wasn’t there a magazine called True Confessions?

That’s a saddening website. People get the impression that they are confessing, but can you call it confession (by anybody’s theology) if it’s anonymous? I wish that somewhere on the site (I sure couldn’t find it) they would point the confessors to Christ.

To be fair, we should note that the website doesn’t offer salvation, as this thread’s title states.

No, I’m quite aware of the origins of both public and private confession. I’m certainly not ignorant of it, thank you. As I said, I appreciate the yearning for confession, but the method as employed leaves a little to be desired.

Oh I completely agree. It would be much better if they did this is a different way. But I hesitate to lament this too much since I truly believe that it could simply be people who are being prompted by the Holy Spirit and didn’t quite hear the full message.

God Bless,
Maria

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.