Salvation. Moment or Process?

I always thought , that Salvation is a moment.
The moment, you repent , you are saved .
When You received Jesus in Your Heart by repentance, it gives guarantee of Salvation.

In different ways, salvation is both.

Sanctifying grace is the indwelling of God in a person’s soul. This means that the soul is a friend of God, that God is at home in that person’s soul.

Being “saved” means having sanctifying grace. At Baptism, one receives sanctifying grace, so you could say that at that moment the person is “saved.” This sanctifying grace, however, can be lost if a person deliberately turns his back on God, choosing to make God no longer welcome in his soul. If the person later repents, sanctifying grace can return.

So, living “in the state of sanctifying grace” is a lifelong process since at death one’s fate is sealed and his eternal destiny to either Heaven or Hell is irrevocably confirmed. If someone dies with sanctifying grace he will enter Heaven. Thus, it is necessary to avoid the deliberate choice against God (mortal sin) in order to keep this sanctifying grace in one’s soul.

I know from my experience, we take very serious the convertion of the person.
If on the Divine Service, the person wants to receive Jesus in the heart, no matter how little the child is, all church take this moment in very special way.
Some people are crying in tears, some pray hard for the person who repents.
After the divine service, every body congratulates the saved soul, who is born again , and saved forever.

Salvation is considered as a moment.
Repentance and Salvation are only once and forever.

The Church recognizes that Salvation is a free gift which can be accepted or rejected. I know from experience that it is possible for someone to change his mind and turn his back on God.

I think that for some people it is a moment and for some a process. We are all different and we should be rejoicing that we each come to know our Lord, not getting nitpick about how this is done. I really take offense by people-usually the born againers-demand that everyone’s comes to Jesus exactly as they do.

At the same time, please beware of judging a person’s salvation experience by the emotion that you witness at that moment.

I used to be very disturbed when I would watch programs on cults and the members would behave with the exact type of emotional intensity that I saw in more charismatic church services.

This isn’t to imply that the emotions that a person feels when they accept Jesus are false and not from God, just that we all have the ability to falsely hype ourselves up. That is why the bible tells us to judge one another by the fruits that we produce.

Hi,

I did not have an exact moment like some people that they know the date time etc. Mine was gradual but when I did accept the free gift I was at that moment justified and have a positional place in heaven.:smiley:

I am now being sanctified(is a process but not towards getting into heaven) by the HS daily to become more Christ-like and will not be pure until I die and am with a Holy God.:thumbsup:

Why do You think that Justification and Sanctification is one ?

What is the Penance in the Catholic Language ?

Who are you asking?

Thanks ALLFORHIM for Your testimony,
No, I give this question generally to the Catholic believers, because I am accustomed to think that Justification and Sanctification are different meanings and it comes in the moment of Salvation.

Why do you ask this of Catholics and not Protestants? Not all Protestants have the same belief on salvation.

Also are you asking because you are curious or because you are trying to lead us to think as you do. Sorry for the paranoia. I’ve had one too many people try and convert me.:frowning:

If you don’t believe what I am about to ask you then you will think my follow up question will be odd but I have come across some who think this way. Do you think that once you were saved that you were immediately perfected and that you can’t either sin or that your sins are preforgiven?

:thumbsup:

I have never had a “moment” in time where I “knew” God had entered my life in a more profound way.

I cannot hold his feet to the fire so-to-speak. If it happens, it happens at a time and place of God’s choosing, not mine.

Am I doomed to hell if I haven’t had my “moment” before I a meteor hits me?

Meanwhile, I’ve got a Christian life to live and family to raise. Should I tell my kids that if they haven’t had their “moment” with the Holy Spirit by such-and-such a time they should find a Church that has better music? better looking minister? better social functions?

At the moment I am taking part in the ten threads at once, :thumbsup:
I have to collect some informational material for the sermon.

For me its interesting , why the Evangelical Churches pay so great attention for the moment of repentance ?

The person can fall in sin and repent hundred times after that .
Is this practice healthy ?
Many young people are waiting that moment for a years, living their life in sin , and knowing that later somehow , in one magic moment they will repent and God will forgive all the sins.
The Idea of Salvation by the moment seems even not really healthy.

There must not be the magic moment in the Church practice.
Salvation and Repentance during all life belong to this moment, now and already.
Why to wait ? why to prepare himself ? Why to make celebrities with dates, and moments

There is a believe , that if You after repentance will commit sin ,and will abide in sin, then You will be punished by God more severely , because You did taste the Salvation before.
Therefore some live today in sin, just because later they intending to to be saved, and stop with the past life.
It seems ridiculous, but many young people think like that.
Many say; - I am not ready yet, its too much responsibility, I can not do it yet.
For me its , just because of unhealthy attitude towards the Idea of Salvation and Repentance.

To say that salvation is the process is absolutely right theologically and logically, because some people don’t even remember the dates and moments, and don’t even need to remember.

I do not agree with our practice of the Idea of Salvation, especially with assurance and statements which split the people for saved and not saved , born again and not born again,elect and damned.

I just wanted to hear more arguments what the Salvation, Repentance, Sanctification means in the Catholic Language.

Catholics believe that it is both. We are “born again of water and the spirit” at our baptism, and once members of the Christian Church, we struggle to live by the standards Christ gave us. Salvation to Catholics is both, as we “work out our salvation with fear and trembling.”

Of course, salvation is a gift, and we can refuse that gift, or “return” that gift after it is given.

Hello again,

What’s a positional place?

I am now being sanctified (is a process but not towards getting into heaven) by the HS daily to become more Christ-like and will not be pure until I die and am with a Holy God.:thumbsup:

I’ve never heard this before. Does dying somehow purify you?

Thanks.

bump

Salvation is a moment and a process.

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not from you; it is the gift of God (Eph 2:8)

But, we can be saved in Christ and then fall away from God’s grace (losing our salvation).

For freedom Christ set us free; so stand firm and do not submit again to the yoke of slavery. It is I, Paul, who am telling you that if you have yourselves circumcised, Christ will be of no benefit to you. Once again I declare to every man who has himself circumcised that he is bound to observe the entire law. You are separated from Christ, you who are trying to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace. (Gal 5:1-4)

Because we are able to lose our salvation, it is a moment and process.

You will be hated by all because of my name, but whoever endures to the end will be saved. (Mat 10:22)

But the one who perseveres to the end will be saved. (Mat 24:13)

**So then, my beloved, obedient as you have always been, not only when I am present but all the more now when I am absent, work out your salvation with fear and trembling. (Phil 2:12) **

The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. (1 Cor. 1:18)

I hope that helps

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.