Salvation of non-Catholics, my thoughts

I before coming to the faith was a Muslim. I recently had this thought about how there are 1 billion Muslims in the world. Most of them born that way and more than likely will not change their faiths as it is how it has always been for them.

What I imagine happens to these Muslims who were truly holy individuals who strove for it with their ability, is that they die and see God in the trinity. They see God manifested in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and are given the chance to submit to the trinity. Then they will be sent to purgatory or heaven depending on how they lived. I imagine that this could apply to all others such as Jews as well.

I may have worded this as if what I said was what actually happened and I apologize a bit for that. I will say that I do not know what happens but this is how I thought that it would occur, and I think it is a rather beautiful thought. So with that I would like to ask does anyone else have any ideas as to what they THINK might happen to non-Catholics?

Personally, I think everyone will know “the truth” after death, but many people will be stubborn and refuse to accept it. Whether or not anyone will be given a chance to “change their minds” after death I cannot know, but I doubt it since it’s not mentioned in Scripture.

You can find the teachings of the Catholic Church regarding non-Christians
in The Catechism of the Catholic Church
paragraphs 839 - 845

This includes:

841 The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day."330

scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a9p3.htm

God bless you.

[quote="Rhuarc, post:1, topic:288764"]
I before coming to the faith was a Muslim. I recently had this thought about how there are 1 billion Muslims in the world. Most of them born that way and more than likely will not change their faiths as it is how it has always been for them.

What I imagine happens to these Muslims who were truly holy individuals who strove for it with their ability, is that they die and see God in the trinity. They see God manifested in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and are given the chance to submit to the trinity. Then they will be sent to purgatory or heaven depending on how they lived. I imagine that this could apply to all others such as Jews as well.

I may have worded this as if what I said was what actually happened and I apologize a bit for that. I will say that I do not know what happens but this is how I thought that it would occur, and I think it is a rather beautiful thought. So with that I would like to ask does anyone else have any ideas as to what they THINK might happen to non-Catholics?

[/quote]

Those who hear and refuse the Catholic faith, will be perish.

[quote="Trishie, post:3, topic:288764"]
You can find the teachings of the Catholic Church regarding non-Christians
in The Catechism of the Catholic Church
paragraphs 839 - 845

This includes:

841 The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day."330

scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a9p3.htm

God bless you.

[/quote]

How about muslims who hear our Catholic Faith but he still remain muslim?

If they reject Christ even after becoming aware of the Gospel, they will not be saved.

[quote="Nabooru, post:6, topic:288764"]
If they reject Christ even after becoming aware of the Gospel, they will not be saved.

[/quote]

Becoming aware of the Gospel does not necessarily mean studying and understanding it. I think the topic of infallible ignorance is more complicated than what you suggest. I would go with what Trishie has pointed out in the Catechism of the Church although, of course, you're entitled to your own opinions.

If such is the case, then it is better to not have them aware of the Gospel, then their ignorance may save them.

Don't confuse invincible ignorance and a refusal to pursue or learn more.

A Muslim may claim to worship the same God as Christians. I don't know whether or not that's true since they don't worship the triune God. Also they do not believe in Christ's death, resurrection, and offer of salvation. That's just my two cents.

[quote="Nabooru, post:8, topic:288764"]
If such is the case, then it is better to not have them aware of the Gospel, then their ignorance may save them.

Don't confuse invincible ignorance and a refusal to pursue or learn more.

[/quote]

Sorry for writing infallible ignorance instead of invincible. I should know better by now! Point well taken, yet I still think it's a complicated and ill-defined notion.

"Infallible ignorance" is an interesting concept, though.

[quote="meltzerboy, post:7, topic:288764"]
Becoming aware of the Gospel does not necessarily mean studying and understanding it. I think the topic of infallible ignorance is more complicated than what you suggest.

[/quote]

Yes, of course this is the case. For example, Muslims are taught that the gospels are actually corrupted. Who would believe something they thought was corrupted? So in the end it remains for the Holy Spirit to convince a Muslim (with the help of one or more Christians, perhaps) that the gospels are not corrupt, as part of any conversion process.

[quote="Nabooru, post:10, topic:288764"]
"Infallible ignorance" is an interesting concept, though.

[/quote]

I had to read that twice. :)

[quote="meltzerboy, post:9, topic:288764"]
Sorry for writing infallible ignorance instead of invincible. I should know better by now! Point well taken, yet I still think it's a complicated and ill-defined notion.

[/quote]

It is ill-defined, because the innermost beliefs and understandings and motivations of a person are ill-defined, even to the person. God alone is capable of sorting it all out.

I feel that the Holy Spirit comes to everyone who becomes aware of the Gospel, just not very strongly at first, which means it can be easily suppressed. I don’t believe in irresistible grace.

What happens to those who dismiss the Gospel and Christ? Since I am not God, I cannot say. However, I would say that the evidence is not good, so it is in the best interest to evangelize.

[quote="snarflemike, post:11, topic:288764"]
Yes, of course this is the case. For example, Muslims are taught that the gospels are actually corrupted. Who would believe something they thought was corrupted? So in the end it remains for the Holy Spirit to convince a Muslim (with the help of one or more Christians, perhaps) that the gospels are not corrupt, as part of any conversion process.

[/quote]

True that. Muslims need to be evangelized (possibly with good apologetic) so that they will hear the Gospel as it is. Then they cannot say it is not their fault that they haven't heard the Gospel. ;)

[quote="Nabooru, post:14, topic:288764"]
I feel that the Holy Spirit comes to everyone who becomes aware of the Gospel, just not very strongly at first, which means it can be easily suppressed. I don't believe in irresistible grace.

[/quote]

I certainly believe in a broader proposition, which is that God grants enough grace to every person to be saved, regardless of anything else.

What happens to those who dismiss the Gospel and Christ? Since I am not God, I cannot say. However, I would say that the evidence is not good, so it is in the best interest to evangelize.

It is quite true that God has only offered one certain path to salvation, and that he has declined to reveal what will happen to those who do not follow that path. So we are left for the most part to hope that others may be saved, but are unable to declare with certainty that they will be saved.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.