Salvation questions

I am helping out with Teen Youth Ministry (TYM) and this sunday we are going to talk about salvation and how we as catholics are saved.

What are some good questions to get the subject kicked off.

I have are you saved? Answer I am Im being and I will provided I remain.

How are You saved? Is it just a personal relationship with Jesus?

has anyone had experince with teens on this subject. How did you go about doing it and what are some good questions? to ask besides the ones I have.

also provide some answers please for I myself may not know some of the questions you may suggest.

also protestants have the Romans road I think I could use this to help with what catholics teach. But do we have somthing similar to the Romans road.

I talked to a priest about this once and he told me this: Catholics believe this about salvation:

I HAVE BEEN saved, I AM CURRENTLY being saved, and I HOPE to be saved.

It is a continuum in our Catholic lives. It is not a one time event but something that we live out each day.

You can refer to the book of James which says “Faith without works is dead.” James 2:14-26

Ac 16:30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Since you are speaking to youth, you may want to simplify it for them at first and tell them that salvation is by God’s grace Eph 2:8-10 through faith in Jesus Christ John 3:16, Rom 10:9-10 AND baptism, John 3:5, Acts 2:38, Mark 16:16, 1 Peter 3:21.

However, it is always good for the teacher to know more than the students and if anyone wants to go deeper, then you should know that salvation has many components…

1. Saved by grace – Rom. 3:23,24; Titus 2:11; Eph 2:5,8

2. Saved by faith – Acts 16:31; Eph. 2:8; 1 Peter 1:9

3. Saved by confession – Rom. 10:10; I John 1:9; James 5:16

4. Saved by repentance – Luke 13:3; 2 Cor. 7:10; 2 Peter 3:9

5. Saved by baptism – Mark 16:16; John 3:5; 1 Peter 3:21

6. Saved by the Holy Spirit – John 3:5; Rom. 8:9; Eph. 1:13,14

7. Saved by endurance –2 Tim. 2:10; James 1:12; Heb. 3:6

Do you mean the book of Romans?

If that’s what you mean, then yes we have the book of Romans, in fact Catholicism recognized and authoritatively decided what books would be in the Bible.

Odell, below is the text of a post by DOSDOG last July which is very to the point of the information you’ll need to consider when doing that class.

From DOSDOG, Catholic Answers Forums, 7-28-07

"The Bible tells us we must have faith in order to be saved (Hebrews 11:6). Yet is faith nothing more than believing and trusting? Searching the Scriptures, we see faith also involves assent to God’s truth (1 Thessalonians 2:13), obedience to Him (Romans 1:5, 16:26), and it must be working in love (Galatians 5:6). These points appeared to be missed by the reformers, yet they are just as crucial as believing and trusting. (1 Corinthians 13:1-3) should be heeded by all it’s certainly an attention grabber.

Paul speaks of faith as a life-long process, never as a one-time experience (Philippians 2:12). He never assumes he has nothing to worry about. If he did, his words in (1 Corinthians 9:24-27) would be nonsensical. He reiterates the same point again in his second letter to Corinth (2 Corinthians 13:5). He takes nothing for granted, yet all would agree if anyone was “born again” it certainly was Paul. Our Lord and Savior spoke of the same thing by “remaining in Him” (John 15:1-11).

Paul tells us our faith is living and can go through many stages. It never stays permanently fixed after a single conversion experience no matter how genuine or sincere. Our faith can be shipwrecked (1 Timothy 1:19), departed from (1 Timothy 4:1), disowned (1 Timothy 5:8) wandered from (1 Timothy 6:10), and missed (1 Timothy 6:21). Christians do not have a “waiver” that exempts them from these verses.

Do our works mean anything? According to Jesus they do (Matthew 25:31-46). The people rewarded and punished are done so by their actions. And our thoughts (Matthew 15:18-20) and words (James 3:6-12) are accountable as well. These verses are just as much part of the Bible as Romans 10:8-13 and John 3:3-5.

Some will object by appealing to Romans 4:3 and stating Abraham was “declared righteous” before circumcision. Thus he was only saved by “believing” faith (Genesis 15:6), not by faith “working in love” (Galatians 5:6). Isn’t this what Paul means when he says none will be justified by “works of law” (Romans 3:28)? No, this is not what he means. He’s condemning the Old Covenant sacrifices and rituals which couldn’t justify and pointing to better things now in Christ Jesus in the New Covenant (Hebrews 7-10). A close examination of Abraham’s life revealed a man of God who did something. In Genesis 12-14 he makes two geographical moves, builds an altar and calls on the Lord, divides land with Lot to end quarrels, pays tithes, and refuses goods from the King of Sodom to rely instead on God’s providence. He did all these works as an old man. It was certainly a struggle. After all these actions of faith, then he’s “declared righteous” (Genesis 15:6). Did these works play a role in his justification? According to the Bible, yes.

The Catholic Church has never taught we “earn” our salvation. It is an inheritance (Galatians 5:21), freely given to anyone who becomes a child of God (1 John 3:1), so long as they remain that way (John 15:1-11). You can’t earn it but you can lose the free gift given from the Father (James 1:17).

The reformer’s position cannot be reconciled with the Bible. That is why the Catholic Church has taught otherwise for over 1,960 years."

ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/FAWORKS.HTM

One other point to be aware of. In your post you said you would talk to the kids about salvation, how Catholics are saved. Remember this is a process, not a one act play. The final part is salvation when we enter heaven.

It appears almost all Christians believe we are saved by the grace of God, by answering yes to His call, and living a life, (whether short or long), in relationship with Him through His Son, Jesus, our Redeemer.

Peace
Mike

I just posted this to my blog: How Is A Catholic Saved?
It’s pretty concise I think and will equip them to Biblically answer n-C evangelism, not to mention giving them some serious study as to their own rebirth.

Roman Catholics are saved the same as anybody else: repentence and faith in Christ and His atonement on the cross.

No Catholics are save by the grace of God. How is it that you are saved again through you own profession of faith? Where does God’s grace come into the picture for a protestant. It seems silly that they claim that they must “do something” to be saved like profess faith, when they are really saved by God’s grace.

E-mail me and I’ll send you the outline I use.

I recommend using the library at CAF from the link above. On the left you will see topics.

The answer to the question, "When were you saved?"
I was saved 2000 years ago by the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
I continue to be saved each and every time the Mass is celebrated until the end of time.
These were the answers given during catechetecal training to the question, "Are you saved?"
In the process of teaching, don’t leave out the importance of Baptism in the economy of salvation.

If you can’t say that you’re saved, then you’re not saved.

The grace of God and their own works.

How is it that you are saved again through you own profession of faith?

What Christian ever said that we’re saved by a profession of faith?

It seems silly that they claim that they must “do something” to be saved like profess faith, when they are really saved by God’s grace.

I’m sorry that you think God’s word is “silly”.

Start with CCC 846 “Out Side the Church There Is No Salvation” and explain this with the Sacrements of Initiation.

1. Baptism is necissary for salvation. Biblical lookups are: “Unless a man is born again of water and spirit…” This is Baptism. And Jesus also said “Those who …and are Baptised will be saved” Baptism was instituted by Christ for the sake of our salvation.

2. “Those sins you forgive are forgiven those you retain are retain…” How can a priest forgive sins if they don’t hear them. This is Conffession given to us from Christ for the sake of our salvation.

3. “Unless you eat My Flesh and drink my Blood you will have no life within you…” Consuming the Eucharst is Christ giving Himself to us for the sake of our salvation.

It’s God’s grace that we are saved. You aren’t Catholic, so far you haven’t proven anything you know about Catholicism here.

What Christian ever said that we’re saved by a profession of faith?

We recite the Profession of Faith and it’s called Nicene Cree. We recite this every Sunday after the Homily.

What needs to be mentioned about the past, present, and future aspects of salvation are justification (past), sanctification (present), and glorification (future - at the resurrection). However, I am not sure that you would tell them that they are justified by faith alone (although you ought to…this is what happens at the beginning of the Christian life), since unfortunately, the CC has proclaimed that infants can be born again, and henceforth, justified which is unbiblical. Regardless, it should be broken down this way. All of it is by faith, the Word…and the Holy Spirit. If they are attempting to earn favor with God through a series of good works, then they must be given the gospel that they might abandon this idea and trust in Christ and Him alone for salvation in repentant faith…then they will be justified and the work of salvation will begin. Looking back to an infant Baptism (for justification) is not sufficient.

In Christ,

Craig L.

Boenhoeffer talks about cheap grace in his book The Cost of Discipleship. Cheap grace denies the need for conversion. It is the teaching of those who claim "once saved always saved."
There is a story of a rancher and a preacher. The preacher talked about how when we receive the Holy Spirit, it is like a rain barrel being filled full of water. The rancher replied, "sometimes the water becomes filled with wigglers."
We need to get the wigglers out of our lives.
Christ died on the cross for the salvation of all men. His sacrifice is continously celebrated within each Mass when ever it is celebrated throughout the world until the end of time.
Scripture says the righteous man sins seven times a day. Salvation is a continual process. It involves the initiation of God himself that comes from the depth of his love for us. Faith (F) is a gift from the Father through the Holy Spirit. When we repond in faith (f), he gives us the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit guides us, convicts us of the sinfulness in our lives and leads us through repentence to that conversion of heart that binds us ever more closely to Christ.

Actually, OSAS doesn’t teach cheap grace at all. It teaches a very powerful grace that is able to keep us in God’s hands.

Salvation is a continual process.

Then why does the Bible speak of salvation in the present tense?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.