Salvation, Total Salvation, and the Sacraments

This thread is an attempt to answer the questions from EA_Man:

How does salvation differ from “total salvation”?

Where does Jesus say that salvation comes from sacraments?

He asked this on the thread “Protestants or/and ex-Catholics, anti-Catholics only”.

So here is my first attempt.

First, I don’t know that there is an official term “total salvation.” We are saved from many things; the stain of original sin and the fires of Hell are two the come to mind immediately. We are also, on a small scale, saved repeatedly from committing individual sins whenever God uses His power to help us resist temptation. Possibly by “total salvation” the person who used the term meant “all of the above.”

The second question is where Jesus said that salvation comes from the sacraments. Jesus never said that, and I don’t think anybody official (even in the Catholic Church) will say that. If I may recast the question slightly, I would phrase it “Where does Jesus say that we need the sacraments for salvation?” And that I can answer.

John 3:5 - “No one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and Spirit.” This refers to baptism.

John 6:53-57 - This refers to the Eucharist.

After the Resurrection (John 20:23) Jesus told the apostles that “whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.” This is about confession. He didn’t specifically say that this was necessary for salvation, but getting one’s sins forgiven is generally accepted as part of being saved.

I don’t know about the other sacraments–and I don’t know that they are necessary for salvation. Certainly matrimony and holy orders aren’t. But this should be a start.

• Liberian

I believe Jesus indicated the importance of coming to know Him first by confessing and renouncing known sin or by repentance water baptism and taking of Eucharist are very very important as well as what was previously described :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.