Salvation

What is the difference in Protestants being “saved” and Catholic salvation? If Catholics are Christians what are the steps they take to receive salvation. Is it at confirmation? Protestants believe Romans 10:9 & 10. Confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that Jesus is Lord and you shall be saved. I keep getting into this debate with my boyfriend and my mom and I am so confused. I grew up Protestant and am now taking RCIA classes to become Catholic. I am reading a lot but there is so many things I get confused on because of the way I was always taught. Help!!

" “Are you saved?” asks the Fundamentalist. The Catholic should reply: “As the Bible says, I am already saved (Rom. 8:24, Eph. 2:5–8), but I’m also being saved (1 Cor. 1:8, 2 Cor. 2:15, Phil. 2:12), and I have the hope that I *will be *saved (Rom. 5:9–10, 1 Cor. 3:12–15). Like the apostle Paul I am working out my salvation in fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12), with hopeful confidence in the promises of Christ (Rom. 5:2, 2 Tim. 2:11–13).” "

Source : catholic.com/library/Assurance_of_Salvation.asp

If you believe and confess, you will be saved. If you believed at one time and believe no longer, will you still be saved? If you confessed at one time and confess no longer, will you still be saved? If your actions speak louder than your words, and your actions don’t confess, will you still be saved?

32] So every one who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge** before my** Father who is in heaven; 33] but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny** before my** Father who is in heaven." Mt 10

“Saved” in Romans 10 is in the future tense, and is contingent upon continuing to believe and confess - as Christ said, taking up our cross DAILY and following Him. That requires a living faith. But if faith isn’t completed by love - if it is a faith that doesn’t work, the faith itself will die, and a dead faith will save no one. That is what James 2 is all about. Faith inspires works, works strengthen faith, until faith is completed by the works (James 2:22).

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.