Same-sex couple says priest denied them communion due to relationship

CHILLICOTHE, Mo. — A couple who lives outside of Chillicothe say their priest denied them communion when he discovered they were in a same-sex relationship. Carol Parker and her partner of nearly 20 years, Josephine Martin, say they were good standing members of Saint Columban Catholic Church in Chillicothe for 12 years.

fox4kc.com/2014/01/30/same-sex-couple-says-priest-denied-them-communion-due-to-relationship

I believe the priest has this right.

:thumbsup:

IMHO. It’s none of the press business on who receives or doesn’t receive communion for whatever reason. I guess they would also get upset if an unmarried opposite sex couple that were engaged in a sexual relationship were denied communion?

So now, we have a complaint that is priest is NOT gay? Topsy turvy world.

What I don’t get here is everyone’s surprise at the situation.
The Church has been saying the same thing for more than two thousand years and now everyone is getting upset about it like they just learned about it. :shrug:

True, but this couple is looking for a reason to file a lawsuit and make money of the Church, because the priest “discriminated” against them based on their sexual orientation.

I had a friend who said he didn’t care about the Church, yet he went to a protest to make the Church accept gay people and their gay lifestyle.
He was (and actually is) very loud about gay rights, but refused to see the other side of this, he just felt that the government should force Chruch to stop this “discrimination” of gay people.
I guess if this kind of law suit is allowed, it will only be a matter of time until we are back in the catacombs like so many centuries ago. :frowning: :frowning:

Why did these women think they could receive Holy Communion anyway?
It makes no sense. Didn’t they ever go to confession?
I know a woman who cannot receive because her husband was previously married.
She did not realise the problem at one time, and was receiving, but now she doesn’t.
It is very hard for her.

As the priest should have done, but I am having trouble understanding how a couple in a same sex relationship of nearly 20 years considers themselves in good standing with the Catholic Church after attending locally for only the last 12 years during which time they have been living in unrepented and continual sin.

I think they have been confused for a very long time on this matter.

:smiley:

It is an odd turn of events.

Maybe the Church should take them to court for:

a) making a mockery of communion
b) intentionally and willfully violating the Sacrament of Communion
c) not confessing their sin during the 12 years of attendance, which means they intentionally withheld this information from the priest

…and I am certain I could think of a few others. Of course this will not happen, just as they would not win against the Church if they tried, but it would be an interesting thing so watch unfold.

A very possible outcome, but perhaps a good will result. It will purge the likes of those who have no sincere interest in being Catholic, only getting what they want; therefore, the Church would grow even stronger.

This is not something that the press should have reported. It is not a public matter. The Church’s guidelines have not changed and there is no news, yet here we read this non-story and private matter. Once again we all repeat…

There is no gay agenda. There is no gay agenda.

But the press can’t turn down a story about the Big Bad Catholic Church, now can they? :wink:

I agree with you that it should be private, but it seems the lesbians went out of their way to get media publicity.

She provided PROMO, a Kansas City-based advocacy organization for the LGBT community, with a Jan. 1 follow-up letter Father Kneib sent her in which he further explained his decision. According to a press release from the organization, the letter stated that “having a same-sex attraction is not sinful in and of itself … it is only when a person moves from attraction to willfully acting upon it that the situation becomes a sinful matter.”

Ms. Parker said she hopes that the priest might “open his eyes and fully receive the LGBT community into the church.”

“We’re all God’s children, and we have every right to receive Communion,” she says.

newspressnow.com/news/local_news/article_239ce081-84b0-57e7-9813-8237f5d33402.html?mode=jqm

Ms. Parker said she hopes that the priest might “open his eyes and fully receive the LGBT community into the church.”

“We’re all God’s children, and we have every right to receive Communion,” she says.

Never mind all that confession stuff and those silly rules and beliefs. :mad:

A right to communion…:confused:

That’s one I have not heard before, but I am not surprised with the onslaught of new “rights” people seem to think they deserve.

Of course we are all Gods children. Some obedient, some disobedient. People seem to ignore this for their benefit.

I certainly hope this holy priest doesn’t receive the Father Marcel Guarnizo treatment.

Also, they want “communion” there are some very liberal non-catholic groups that will serve it to them!

I’m no lawyer, but I imagine they would have a hard time getting legal remediation. The courts are not going to stick their noses into how a church practices it doctrine. First amendment and all…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.